English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 January 2005, 22:00   #1
MethodGit

I'm annoyed over Aminet now!!!

Not content with wiping out a ton of their HD-installer archives over some ridiculous new "laws" (which really should only affect the European mirrors in this case, not the US one as well!), I've noticed this week that a couple of games which used to be available for grabbing are no longer in the plane of existence - Pucman and Deluxe Pacman. Coincidentally they're both Pacman-related games..... please don't tell me they had to remove Pacman games over someone throwing a legal fit for some god-awful reason?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 January 2005, 00:16   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Would you be surprised if they did??

Nope didn't think-so!
Old 22 January 2005, 01:27   #3
MethodGit

Well it looks like there are plenty of other Pacman games left over on Aminet, so if there was a legal reason behind the erasing of those two games it looks pretty bullshit.
Old 22 January 2005, 02:07   #4
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

May be something to do with them being arcade conversions. They always seem to find a way to rerelease pacman in one way or another, and want people to buy it again.
Old 22 January 2005, 12:40   #5
pcGTW_Webmaster

Aminet is a free service, so don't complain...
Old 22 January 2005, 16:55   #6
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Exactly! I think unless you're prepared to run your own site, flout the law and take the consequences for other people's benefit, you have to learn to appreciate what you've got.
Old 22 January 2005, 17:06   #7
MethodGit

Free service or not, they still shouldn't quietly delete games from existence without a valid explanation for it.

Soooooooo..... does anybody have to have copies of the games to up to the Zone perhaps?
Old 22 January 2005, 17:55   #8
pcGTW_Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Free service or not, they still shouldn't quietly delete games from existence without a valid explanation for it.
Maybe the author asked them to remove the files. Maybe the files were auto-pruned because of their age. I think it doesn't really matter anyway.

If those games are PD, you should be able to find them somewhere else.

Deluxe Pacman is even available on BTTR:
http://www.back2roots.org/Games/Files/Deluxe Pacman,1

Last edited by pcGTW_Webmaster; 22 January 2005 at 18:02.
Old 22 January 2005, 19:04   #9
MethodGit

I have the BTTR version already. But it's not the same version as the one that used to be on Aminet and Edgar M Vigdal's site (the author released newer versions onto the net than the one BTTR possess).

And besides, Deluxe Galaga is still available to grab off Aminet, so it's not like the author sent a "please-remove-one's-games" request to them. Nevertheless, I have e-mailed the Aminet webmaster about the missing games and also e-mailed Mr Vigdal asking if he could help in any way to get his games back onto the net.

Pucman is a particular bugger as it means the D/L link from the WHDLoad site to the game is broken. Hence their slave can't be used for much else really.
Old 22 January 2005, 20:06   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

I've got a version of Pucman I'll put it in the zone
Old 22 January 2005, 23:32   #11
lloyd
Mehh :D

Methodgit - I've put some Pacman stuff up on the Zone for you. All came from my backup Aminet DVD...........
Old 23 January 2005, 00:13   #12
ant512

I'd guess that they got an email from the EDSA (or whatever they're called), insisting that the Aminet had made copies of commercial games from one of their member companies available on-line. These emails are sent out by web crawler programs that look for filenames that match, or are similar to, games that the companies own the copyright on.

It's usually easier to delete the files than complain to the EDSA (or whoever they are; I forget), as they're quick to send out threatening letters but very slow to appreciate that they are, in fact, entirely wrong.
Old 23 January 2005, 02:23   #13
MethodGit

Thanks very much for the Zone freebies guys , although I must remind you that the version of Deluxe Pacman that used to be on Aminet was the full registered edition (available in both ECS and AGA archives) which Vigdal had unleashed to the public domain and made freeware. Likewise I believe the Aminet version of Pucman was also the full version (without the blinking Level 4 restriction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
I'd guess that they got an email from the EDSA (or whatever they're called), insisting that the Aminet had made copies of commercial games from one of their member companies available on-line. These emails are sent out by web crawler programs that look for filenames that match, or are similar to, games that the companies own the copyright on.

It's usually easier to delete the files than complain to the EDSA (or whoever they are; I forget), as they're quick to send out threatening letters but very slow to appreciate that they are, in fact, entirely wrong.
I believe that was what caused the great Commodore Internet Archive to shut down yonks ago after many years of service.... ESA bastards. I did e-mail the webmaster shortly after the closing of the site that he was being deceived and that he knows he didn't have any of the software the bot claimed to find, but he never responded....
Old 23 January 2005, 04:28   #14
Akira

Talking about Pucman, to the Zone have been uploaded DEMO versions of the game... Does anyone has the FULL Licenseware version of this game?
Old 23 January 2005, 04:56   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

It would be a nice find
Old 23 January 2005, 06:05   #16
Akira

Yeah Id love that to be WHDified. Who's got the goods, then?
Old 23 January 2005, 10:59   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Talking about Pucman, to the Zone have been uploaded DEMO versions of the game... Does anyone has the FULL Licenseware version of this game?
Forget this and that. I am just reminded of the glory days of Marz with this thread, Akira.

Old 23 January 2005, 13:25   #18
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

IIRC the pucman demo was exactly the same as the full version apart from the flashing after level 4...

And whdload already has an install for pucman, which get's rid of the flashing...
Old 23 January 2005, 17:57   #19
Akira

Aaaaaah, cool. I read "Pucman Dem"in the WHD install and I thought it was the same.

Stil, would be nice to find an original, uncracked version. What other Augenblick games are out there, too?
Old 23 January 2005, 20:32   #20
MethodGit

Neither Vigdal or Aminet have responded to my e-mails so far....

Did anybody play the Aminet Pucman recently? Did it say "demo" at all on the title screen?
AdSense AdSense