English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2005, 15:36   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Flickering and lace-artifacts in WinUAEX are caused by wrong setup
I dont think that it is. WinUAEX can only output interlaced screenmodes for standard TV's (i.e 720x576i) the original Amiga operates (mainly) in non interlaced modes (i.e. 720x288p) The X-box CAN do low res non interlaced screens but it is complicated and not supported in the SDK.

Quote:
for example, Agnus chipset setting always causes screen to flicker
I dont understand what you mean. If you are trying to say that the Amiga can do interlaced modes and that setting is within the Amiga Agnus chip... I know... but WinUAEX flickers in ALL modes regardless of whether the original Amiga mode was interlaced or not. You can activate the Anti-Flicker filter hardware in the X-box but the effect is a blurring of the image.

Quote:
Team17 splashscreens are good examples
These are examples where the ORIGINAL Amiga mode was an interlaced mode. This would flicker in WinUAEX too, but other non interlaced modes flicker in WinUAEX because the program cannot do single field output and so has to scandouble the data and produce an interlace image.

Quote:
if you have suggestions or feedback, visit XPort Forum on Xbox-Scene.org
I have done. I helped out with bug reports and feature suggestions over the releases. There hasnt been one for a while. Adding support for non-interlaced screen modes is complicated, requires the program to hit the hardware direct, there are at least 3 or 4 variants of X-box all requiring different routines.

I dont think we'll see X-box emulators which support non-interlaced low res. Shame really
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 January 2005, 18:20   #22
galu

alexh -> can you give me an example of a game, that causes screen to flicker? Maybe I do not fully understand your problem... Is this a problem that occurs also in WinUAE?
I've got both 100Hz 29'' LG TV and 7-years old polish 21'' TV and I didn't noticed any problems - using RGB connection (RGB/EuroSCART) and PAL50 modes, but no flicker-filter.

About "Agnus setting" - try changing "Video chipset" setting from "Agnus" to "AGA" and see what you get.

BTW, I've tested LAN NetPlay in WinUAEX (2 Xboxes + System Link) Connection few days ago. It works with some problems (any little glitch will cause game to desync completly, although we were able to play Sierra Soccer for 5 minutes - impressive ) but I doubt that it would be usable over Internet (due to pings, etc.).
Old 07 January 2005, 01:10   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
can you give me an example of a game, that causes screen to flicker?
Erm, all of them if you have the flicker filter set to Zero. If you have it set higher.. then of course it doesnt flicker as much... but it's fuzzy.

Quote:
Maybe I do not fully understand your problem... Is this a problem that occurs also in WinUAE?
Heh. No you dont understand the problem. The X-box is outputting the image to a TV. It's outputting an interlace signal... that means it draws every other line in one pass... then the others in a second pass, it's a way of halving bandwidth for a set resolution. The X-box ALWAYS outputs interlace at the moment because no-one knows how to program it to do other.

THE Amiga on the other hand could output non interlaced, all pixels were drawn in one pass, bandwidth was reduced because there were only 1/2 as many lines used. The result was no flickering.

Of course this doesnt happen in WinUAE because its being displayed on a MONITOR and not a TV.

Quote:
I've got both 100Hz 29'' LG TV and 7-years old polish 21'' TV and I didn't noticed any problems - using RGB connection (RGB/EuroSCART) and PAL50 modes, but no flicker-filter.
You possibly wont see problems with your 100Hz TV because it digitizes the input and then does lots of strange things before displaying.

On an ordinary 50Hz TV you can. Maybe your brain cannot detect flicker (some people are not sensitive) or you have the filter switched on by mistake... or your 50Hz TV has a very high persistance.

Quote:
About "Agnus setting" - try changing "Video chipset" setting from "Agnus" to "AGA" and see what you get.
That just changes the chipset emulation from "OCS", "ECS" or "AGA" which are the 3 different types of Amiga chipset... this doesnt affect the output at all.

I know what I am talking about... even XPort admits that WinUAE-X flickers where the Amiga doesnt.
Old 08 January 2005, 16:02   #24
galu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
No you dont understand the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
or you have the filter switched on by mistake...
I'm sorry. My mistake - I have flicker filter enabled, overlooked that! However, the "fuzzy screen" is still not a problem for me (I can't notice the difference between no filter and it's highest value), because I'm also working on resized/scaled screens with trilinear filter enabled ;O
About missing features... CAPS, Picasso96 support (well, I'm not interested in it at all ;), I also think that the GUI should be simplified (it's not bad, but configuring joysticks is annoying).
But my biggest wish is... better web integration. I mean savestates/gameplay recordings/screenshots/configuration sharing, frontend to Netplay, chatting rooms etc. :) Furthermore, XPort has probably started to develop WinUAEX in this way (sending configuration settings to website via Xbox).
AdSense AdSense