English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 March 2007, 05:46   #141
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

This week, I endured my scariest gaming experience ever.

As soon as the level started, I wanted out. But I couldn't turn back. The long, dank, misery filled level assaulted my senses, never letting me feel comfortable, and I found myself praying that this level would end. I had trouble sleeping this week, and even had a nightmare about this level.

I have read about other people's experiences with this level - for some people it took months, or over a year, to finish this one single level, and others have stopped playing the game completely because they can't take anymore of this brilliant setpiece.

Once you have been through Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows, all other horror games feel like Disneyland. And you feel scarred for life. I know I do.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 March 2007, 15:31   #142
_Steve_

So far, only one person has mentioned probably the scariest game I have ever played on any computer/console - and that would be Project Zero (PS2). I believe the game was known as something else in the US as well as on the XBox, but it singularly beats all other "horror" type games I had ever played.

Prior to this, Silent Hill (PS1) would have been my next choice, and as some have mentioned "Friday the 13th" on the good old C64.

Darkseed I didn't find overly scary, just a little surreal, not unlike another title mentioned - Weird Dreams.
Old 26 March 2007, 15:58   #143
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

this got me thinking a smidge about more scairy amiga games...

well i have to admit there are a few out there that really put the wheels in motion when were talking atmosphere!!

Scairy Games that one must play

Perhellion
Awsome atmosphere and a few levels where the atmosphere gets really thick. there is one level where you are rushing through a toxic mine (EOB style) and each step kills you, there are traps too, and it swtiches you arround as well!!! man that bit has your heart racing!!!)

Elite
Docking without docking computers its..... lets say... relieves one constipation, not to mention getting into a fight and realising you forgot to save it!

Xenomorph
I first remember playing this on the Atari ST (yes i was one of THOSE kids that had both) to begin with you might think it a little slow, and it is.... untill you get down to level 2 and meet ya first Xenomorph... it might be because it was the first game of its type that i hade played (not counting bards tale) that had the atmosphere... especially in the dark!

Drakkhen
Here is another game I played first on the ST, some how the Amiga version was poor im comparrison!... but there was lots of atmosphere, especially when the sun went down and all manner of nasty thing came at you... especially when your walking your part from town to town etc...

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
This has some great atmospheric graphics that draw you into the game.. well worthy of play... this would of been a much better game if at time it wasn`t sooo anoying!

Prey: An Alien Encounter
This game has the taste of something REALLY tasty... it has all the ingredients.... if only it was alloud to bake a little longer... it has its moments though... its a little cheeky!

Scairy Games I am yet to play

Trapped 2
This looks quite engrossing, it does have a high graphic detail that oozes atmosphere, I am just hoping it is playable on an 060 with a gfx card

i will add more later methinks.

Last edited by Zetr0; 26 March 2007 at 16:36.
Old 26 March 2007, 16:08   #144
humble worm

Most scary game I played was S.O.T.B 2...
Perspective of getting killed (or stuck), reloading the game and undergoing the same ordeal once more just to be killed (or stuck) again in the same place was scary enough to prevent me from playing the game
Old 26 March 2007, 20:59   #145
demoniac

Elvira - Mistress of the Dark (Amiga)
Sanitarium (PC)

Are the best atmospheric games that I have played.
Old 25 July 2007, 17:55   #146
EmuChicken

Fatal Frame!!!! - PS2

It Came From the Desert! - Amiga!

Maniac Mansion - Amiga / C64

nuff said!

All the people stating Doom as scary is an idiot... this isnt scary - its just a gore fest... action... etc etc
Old 25 July 2007, 17:57   #147
Ironclaw
Banned

Scariest game on Amiga MUST be Darkseed (which I think I've mentioned before in this thread ). It's pretty atmospheric aswell.

Old 13 November 2007, 01:12   #148
Marcuz
Wurk???

just finished Obscure 2, i've gotta say it's a very nice game.

easier than Silent Hill 4, more b-list sci-fi and less scary (thankfully).

very interesting characters some of which will not go far in the game, alas!
very well done visuals and great control/camera. great sound too.
i have not played the first game, some comments/reviews on www say the first chapter is better than the second, even.
Old 13 November 2007, 13:58   #149
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Since reading this thread, I have tried most of the suggestions....

Maybe it is my age now, but none have made me jump like that ghost bitch did in Uninvited
Old 13 November 2007, 14:00   #150
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, now it's hard to scare by Fright Night game.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:28   #151
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

1. Silent Hill 1
2. Silent Hill 3
3. Darkseed
4. Alien VS Predator 2 (not really scary, but it still gives a nasty feeling in the pit of your stomach because of the intense atmosphere that is always present)
5. the 7th Guest

These are the games that freaked me out the most over the years
Old 13 November 2007, 16:41   #152
Twobears

I'll add a couple of games I haven't seen in this fun thread

One of, if not the first amiga game I witnessed was Moonstone. The swamp monster appears from out of the mud, accompanied by a loud shrieking sound, horrible arms spread out high ... then takes its victim (you) down under.

I refused to play that game for quite a while.

Another scary one for me was UFO: Enemy Unknown (UFO Defense in the US). Hearing it, but not knowing where the body snatching chryssalid is ... then seeing it round a corner just when you thought you were safe!

On the PC I got a few scary moments playing Lands of Lore. I'm not sure which version, but it was 3d, didn't have great graphics, and it was nicely dark and atmospheric. At one point, you walk down a dark corridor as it bends to the right. The screen turns black as your way is suddenly blocked, and a spooky voice whispers in warning: "BEHIND YOU!". I turned as fast as I could (still felt agonizingly slow... turn around, turn around!! aah!) and sure enough, some ghostly creature was walking toward me, already too close for comfort ... I didn't see that kind of (scripted but effective) scariness until System Shock 2 and Half-Life.

Old 13 November 2007, 16:57   #153
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobears View Post
I'll add a couple of games I haven't seen in this fun thread

One of, if not the first amiga game I witnessed was Moonstone. The swamp monster appears from out of the mud, accompanied by a loud shrieking sound, horrible arms spread out high ... then takes its victim (you) down under.
yay, that was indeed a great jump from the chair, i remember that vividly
Old 14 November 2007, 22:53   #154
aldo

Fear perseus mandate is even scarier than the first one, I am playing through it at the moment, the sound effects are well spooky!
Old 11 April 2009, 07:02   #155
seuden
uber cool demi god

Time this bad boy got bumped, there's been just over a year since the last post has there been any other games that have made you soil your underwear?

I can't believe no one has mentioned The Suffering, that game was friggin scary, lights out and on surround sound, bloody creatures with blades as legs coming after you, lol.

New one, Dead Space, quite scary.
Old 12 April 2009, 02:26   #156
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
New one, Dead Space, quite scary.
I know what you mean

Played / finished it back in December. Shite myself quite a few times
Old 12 April 2009, 03:48   #157
CongealedWallrs

Old games: I found 'Weird Dreams' for the Atari very unnerving in the pure confusion of the different scenarios. It makes you feel very uneasy and confused rather than making you jump. It has frightening sounds also.

New(er) games: I don't think anyone mentioned 'System Shock II', might be wrong though. It is still bloomin scary and atmospheric if you are into that type of game. I only got so far before I had to stop and take a sanity break!
Old 12 April 2009, 09:57   #158
seuden
uber cool demi god

I've never played System SHock but Bioshock was quite jumpy in places, that game has an awesome atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I know what you mean

Played / finished it back in December. Shite myself quite a few times
Hehe I've only recently bought it for the 360 and I've not got that far yet (as I'm playing Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5 also) but it's still managed to make me jump in a few places.
Old 12 April 2009, 12:39   #159
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Dead Space was a wonderfully scary game. I enjoyed every second of it.
Old 12 April 2009, 22:52   #160
Old Fool
Zone Friend

It is incredibly hard to make a scary video game. Too bad...

Only a few games have succeed to give me a scary feeling. Darkseed on Amiga was a chilling adventure and almost the same kind of story was seen in 3D 1st person view on a PC: Realms of the Haunting. Highly recommended!
AdSense AdSense