English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 November 2001, 12:09   #21
Tim Janssen

Arrow Running scared

I haven't play many scary games, but here are a few:
- Another World (Amiga): Really love this game on Amiga. The atmosphere because many sprites in this game are nothing more than silhouettes.
- Fade to Black (PC): The aliens in this game have the habit to morph to you and suddenly appear in front of your face. The music also gets very bombastic in these moments.
- Sword of Sodan (Amiga): Once you enter the castle you can fall in spiked traps. The cry the main heroine makes sends shivers down my spine.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 November 2001, 15:10   #22
Drake1009

Tim : - Fade to Black (PC): The aliens in this game have the habit to morph to you and suddenly appear in front of your face. The music also gets very bombastic in these moments.

That wasn't the worst thing I thought about this. The worst thing with the morphs weren't apparing, it was more that some preferred to attack you while in that blob form, if you step on those you die, and they generally try to jump on you and you can't shoot it when they're like that. I just kept thinking, aaaergh get it away, get it away.
Old 20 November 2001, 19:45   #23
oldpx

I've just started playing sanitarium. It's "the" scary game for me from now on.

Old 20 November 2001, 20:25   #24
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
I finished Darkseed
What, you mean recently, or ages ago?
Old 20 November 2001, 21:02   #25
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Uninvited and Shadowgate scared the heck out of me when I played them on the NES.
Old 20 November 2001, 22:10   #26
MethodGit

Wink Believe it or not, some non-horror games are scary to me.

In certain aspects, that is. Let me explain:

Super Mario 64 - Those tall ball worm things on the desert level look utterly freaky to me. Thanks to the fact that they're completely two-dimensional, their glowing eyes and sinister smile follow you all the time and make me churn my stomach sometimes. It's been a long time since I last played the desert level seriously (as in actually get on with finding the stars), because I don't feel I can look at those horrible things again.
But it's not just that. You know that stage where you can choose to be small or big? When you're small, I get very worried when I'm in any water areas because there's this big fish (who wears glasses I might add) who looks alright at first because you think it's just show-off material that can't harm you, that is until you see the terrible, scary and surprising moment where it actually swallows you whole :eek without warning if you get near its mouth and kills you off no matter how much health you have. When I saw this moment for the first time and heard Mario's moan afterwards, I nearly shat myself and almost shedded a tear as if to cry.
Also, minor things like the neverending staircase (leading to the final encounter with Bowser, and neverending that is if you have less than 70 stars), the snow level picture visible in the big mirror but not in the real area, and the big/small level room where the path magically becomes longer and longer (without you knowing) when you approach the right-hand mushroom picture make me feel very uneasy and shivery. It just... it just doesn't seem logical and calm.

Sonic Adventure - Generally, like the N64, looking at some graphics close-up makes them look fake and makes me feel screwed over. But seriously, one bit in Sonic's Labyrinth level (later in the game) makes me feel "WTF?! I'm shivering now". In the first part of the level, taken with the fact that most bottomless pits look obvious, you actually come across this bottomless pit in two rooms which looks like a floor, therefore fooling newcomers into thinking they're safe havens when in fact it makes them lose a life easily. The first time I saw them, I thought they were just that, floors. Plus the way the brick "floor" is drawn makes me feel queasy.

Witchaven 2 - Okay, so this is game is kind of horror-related anyway. But I remember playing a demo of this a few years ago, and some moments seemed to scare me up real good, like the hidden spike pit at the entrance to a certain room (the platform's just total fake, it doesn't open like a trap door or anything, you just fall right through it!). The slight colour enhancement gives the pit's whereabouts anyway, but still it's pretty nasty to encounter.
But what truly scared me the most is the fact that, during completely random times in the game, all of a sudden this ghastly blue ghost thing would materialise right in front of your face, make a ghoulish sound, and disappear again!!!! :eek :eek I had no fricking idea why it appeared, and I still don't know why it appears randomly to this day. I didn't really play it again afterwards, because the game was, IMO, f*cking off its mind.

Quake - I hate the way the player reacts to green slime, whether god mode is enabled or not. This is bad because in some mods you can't tell which liquids are bad harmful liquids or not. Plus, those big fiends who jump at you with such force and speed that when you try to run away from them you retreat like you're panicking and going "Mommy! Mooooomyyyy!! Get the horrible monster away from me! Wah, Gah, Eek etc.".

Quake II - Similarly, the green slime reaction and the brain-sucking tongue aliens (who run around fast and manically in a similar way to the first Quake's peach demons) just make me feel uneasy. Also, one of the levels (I can't remember which) has this small cylinder room to your left at the start, and if you enter it (as in to explore it), it seems empty and normal, except a few seconds later you suddenly find yourself crushed by some huge falling debris and end up being "a bit dead". What a surprise moment that was.

Doom - I detest it when a demon (those pink guys) sneaks up behind you and you suddenly inflict damage and hear the demon's grunt behind your back. Especially if they're one of those cloaked versions of the fiends.
Also, in earlier beta versions of the game, the Doom guy pulled this horrible gasping face when you stepped on green waste. I'm so, so very glad that id pulled it out of the final version, because I don't think I would've been able to play it as much as I usually do now (when I'm in the mood). I do remember though that in one of the demos in some of the early shareware versions, the face cropped up once during E1M3.

Duke Nukem 3D - I just don't like the way the screen fadely flashes green when you step on slime/toxic waste/acid/whatever. Or even the way the screen fadely flashes red when you get damaged anyway.

Redneck Rampage - I just hate, hate, HATE those bloody mosquitoes!!! They're fast, they follow you round most places, and they look faceless to me. I never want to run into a room or area with a shitload of those things.

Blood - Ditto with those small rats that are tricky to kill and invade the floor like horrible things indeed.

Hexen - In one of the early levels, there's this scene where there are three lowered platforms, and a light sword image points at one of them. The one that the sword is pointing at is the one you're meant to use in order to teleport to another place, but when you try to see what happens when you step on the wrong platform, the way it pushes you up towards the ceiling and squashing you just looks mad and nastaaaaaaay!

Rebel Assault 1 & 2 - Not really scary, but I just don't like the horrible music that comes on when you die, and/or during certain cutscenes. But this piece of music has been known to appear in other situations in some other Star Wars games as well.

Space Gun - In some of the levels, some hostages suddenly morph into aliens upon close examination, thus making me feel nervous about certain hostages on certain levels!

Elf (Ocean) - Not very scary at all, but the chilling title music combined with the red-tinted game over screen hidden behind the highscores makes me shiver a bit. Plus back then I rarely ever wanted to watch the execution animation that would come on after game over (that is if it was enabled). Thank god Ocean gave you an option to disable it at least.

BC Kid - I was playing a demo of this not long ago, and noticed how sometimes some of those jelly plant like things suddenly turn into these FREAKY black/yellow-outline things which jumped around and hurt you if you touched them in their path. They would morph if you jumped on them a certain way or head-butted them (can't remember which way it was, really).

That's all I can think of for now, I might think of some more later.
Old 20 November 2001, 22:59   #27
Drake1009

About Blood Marz. How about the hands? Those were way worse than any rats (Which I don't remember)

I forgot to mention wheel of time, also a FPS which managed to have ounces of atmosphere. Especially in the ways (Another world you use between gates far apart) where there's a sort of being there which if it catches you you're told (background story in game) that it'll drain your soul. The world is broken completely dark and when that thing comes close to you you hear a sort of wind mixed with whispering voices. If you look at it it'll look like a lot of faces churning between each other in a ball which chases you. That's actually a fact why I don't play the game over again when it had a nasty bug in one of the (I think) last levels where you never get the enemies you need to kill. I just got goosebumps thinking of going through that thing again. The haunted city, though also scarey especially with that mist creature and the quick creatures which dodge your offence, wasn't all that bad.
Old 21 November 2001, 02:39   #28
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz

What, you mean recently, or ages ago?
Both

Old 21 November 2001, 11:35   #29
Big-Byte
Long time member

Aliens Doom.

Fantastic mod for Doom.. Playing it one night round my mates house with all the lights out... and his cat decides to grab my leg!! You had to scrape me off the ceiling!!
Old 21 November 2001, 14:54   #30
Drake1009

Nice touch of the cat though to add to the atmosphere. Very considerate I'd say.

One game which I really think was scarey was Daikatana. But not scarey because of the game itself. More how they could market and hype the game so much and still turn out such a piece of **** which people actually bought. That's really scarey.
Old 21 November 2001, 17:56   #31
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Aliens vs Predator on the Jaguar as a FPS game? Is that a bit like the PC game?
I think so, but the PC conversion has suffered a bit, the Jaguar game is better.

Marz, man, you are a pussy.. Mario 64? Sonic Adventure??? You poop your pants when you see Postman Pat?
Old 21 November 2001, 18:05   #32
Drake1009

No please don't bring postman pat into this. He's too scarey, just like barney the dinosaur *Trembles in fear* (J/K)
Old 21 November 2001, 23:05   #33
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
I Never played Darkseed for mare than about 15 minutes, I couldn't handle the laced gfx, gave me violent headaches
That's kinda funny, since the character in Darkseed starts off with a violent headache as well.... Perhaps he got it from playing Darkseed also?
Old 21 November 2001, 23:05   #34
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
- Maniac Mansion (turn the telescope into the wrong direction, you'll see a deserted planet... after 2 seconds suddenly an alien appears with a scary sound)
What version of the game was you playing at that time? Is the 'scary sound' the same on the other versions?
Old 22 November 2001, 02:29   #35
Mort

Stick out tongue Big Bytes scary game was my fault

Imagine the scene,1996, a few drinks,dark ambiance, the sound of aliens on the rampage from Big Bytes headphones connected to my P75 Pc as I sit next to him using X-Copy Pro on my trusty old Amiga 1500(which I still use).There is a creek from my bedroom door. I take no notice as I know its my cat Rusty. Rusty see`s a new person to prod with his paw and AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. Big Byte turns into a Jump Jet. Happy times indeedy ha ha ha.

The most scarey game I have ever played would be Beyond the Forbidden Forest at the stage where you would run whilst avoiding the Worms which would eat you from the ground up. Just like the Film Tremors on the 64!

Sorry Big Byte and Rip my m8 Rusty, you will always be remembered old pal.

Old 22 November 2001, 12:53   #36
MethodGit

Oh, sorry to hear about your cat's passing...
Old 22 November 2001, 12:56   #37
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Realms Of The Haunting was a scary PC game. It was written by Tony Crowther of Captive, Liberation and erm.. Captain Planet fame.
Old 22 November 2001, 14:50   #38
Drake1009

Yeah realms of the haunting is quite ambience setting and had good graphics for the time too. Actually the slightly grainy graphics make for better atmosphere I think. 4 CDs for what some people would just declare a 3D shooter because you had a gun of sorts and could shoot things. I got sort of stuck after having travelled to hell (or whatever it was, at any rate you were outside the house) and then back again. There was some creatures which didn't mind you shooting them, the only way to avoid their wrath was stay out of the room or stand on the pentagrams. Couldn't get further from there.

How about undying though? It's a fairly new game. I haven't tried it. Is it up to par gameplay wise as well or only atmosphere wise?
Old 28 February 2002, 20:32   #39
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Rescue on fractalus

Old but scary Lucasart game originating from the Atari xl and c64. When the alien appears and starts beating the glass of your spaceship it scare the living shit out of ya!

Nice fractal generated graphics on this game, especially for the time. I wonder if a remake will ever appear.
Old 28 February 2002, 20:58   #40
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Scary Games

Without a doubt I would have to say the following were scary games:

1. Alone in the Dark
2. Darkseed

Not only scary but classics and superb to play
AdSense AdSense