English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 25 October 2004, 09:29   #1
Computolio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 174
A-Max disks?

I got an old A-Max (the original dongle kind that plugs into the floppy port). Unfortunately I didn't get the software for it. According to the manual, it came on a weird dual format floppy that had a Mac partition and an Amiga partition. It could be backed up onto normal disks by copying the mac stuff to a mac disk and the Amiga stuff onto an Amiga disk.

Does anyone still have this software?
Computolio is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 October 2004, 20:22   #2
stainy
Zone Friend
stainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Concord, NC, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,389
Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Yes!! I have this software, manuals.. the whole lot... it`s not adf`d or anything... but I think it`s ready to go with a real Amiga... if your interested.. mail or msg me
stainy is offline  
Old 03 November 2004, 13:17   #3
vanmev
 
Posts: n/a
http://www.back2roots.org/News/

i saw the software at http://www.back2roots.org/News/ web site
 
Old 04 November 2004, 10:23   #4
Computolio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 174
There's no download link though....

Also: this site looked like it might have the software, but ALL of the DMS image files are corrupted....

Last edited by Computolio; 04 November 2004 at 10:52.
Computolio is offline  
Old 29 September 2008, 01:14   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
A-Max disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computolio View Post
Also: this site looked like it might have the software, but ALL of the DMS image files are corrupted....
@Computolio:

The downloads on this site have now been fixed!
prowler is offline  
Old 08 February 2009, 17:53   #6
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Yes!! I have this software, manuals.. the whole lot... it`s not adf`d or anything... but I think it`s ready to go with a real Amiga... if your interested.. mail or msg me
Hi stainy,
do you still have manuals and/or other material?
Would you share/scan them?
I have some disks in A-Max format which I would like to upload.
Supamax is offline  
Old 08 February 2009, 18:01   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computolio View Post
Also: this site looked like it might have the software, but ALL of the DMS image files are corrupted....
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
@Computolio:
The downloads on this site have now been fixed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Hi stainy,
do you still have manuals and/or other material?
Would you share/scan them?
I have some disks in A-Max format which I would like to upload.
Hi Supamax,

Have a look at the site linked to by Computolio above. There's a lot more there besides the fixed DMS image files (like manuals, etc.)

prowler

BTW, please upload any disk images you may have. I'd be very interested in them. Thanks.
prowler is offline  
Old 08 February 2009, 18:44   #8
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
@ prowler

Hi mate!

Thanks, I saw that site before . It would be nice to find some scans (.ipg or .pdf) of the original manuals. I found some in the Magix FTP, although the resolutions is very low .

About the A-Max disks, I have 4-5 of them but I have to find out how to dump them with Powercopy.
On Powercopy manual I read that the Sector nibble mode can copy them. I tried but with no success. I'll try again with different settings.

Do you know if someone made some extended .adf's of A-Max disks before?

EDIT: I didn't try with RAWREAD yet. I prefer to make a "cleaner" dump with Powercopy, if possible
Supamax is offline  
Old 08 February 2009, 19:01   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
@ prowler

Hi mate!

About the A-Max disks, I have 4-5 of them but I have to find out how to dump them with Powercopy.
On Powercopy manual I read that the Sector nibble mode can copy them. I tried but with no success. I'll try again with different settings.

Do you know if someone made some extended .adf's of A-Max disks before?

EDIT: I didn't try with RAWREAD yet. I prefer to make a "cleaner" dump with Powercopy, if possible
Hi Supamax,

I'm sure that the Registered version of Disk2FDI would be able to copy these disks. They're not true 800k Macintosh-formatted disks, because they're not GCR encoded. AFAIK, the A-Max cartridge allows reading of Macintosh GCR encoded disks, but will both read and write A-Max hybrid format disks. However, I don't think that these disks can be read in the Amiga's floppy drive. So I'm not sure if Powercopy will work.

If Disk2FDI can copy them, I don't know what type or size of image would be produced,

prowler

PS. In fact, these are the first A-Max formatted disks I have ever heard of anyone owning.
prowler is offline  
Old 08 February 2009, 20:23   #10
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
However, I don't think that these disks can be read in the Amiga's floppy drive
Yes, they can! I used them many times, and I can use them right now with A-Max (of course the cracked version, and without any additional hardware)

They have a particular sector format, but I can't figure out (yet) how to copy them.
By the way: I can make a copy of an A-MAX-formatted disk under A-Max.
I mean, under A-Max I can format another A-Max disk and copy from the source to the destination. Or use (if I had it) a Mac DOS copier from one disk to another.
But the destination disk is A-Max, too .

Quote:
PS. In fact, these are the first A-Max formatted disks I have ever heard of anyone owning.
He he, I imagined it

Last edited by Supamax; 09 February 2009 at 00:55.
Supamax is offline  
Old 21 February 2009, 23:50   #11
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
Hi prowler,

as I wrote to you, many days ago I successfully dumped (*) 3 A-Max floppies (I will explain how. I used CrossMac and Powercopy). I have one more which is a real pain to transfer, and one which is ruined.

I would really need something: is there somewhere a simple utility (the simplest possible, with disk output and not RAM output) for 800KB floppy dumping on the Mac? One of the earlier versions of Disk Copy, for example (pre-v4.2). Normal DOS-dumping, I mean.
Something like TransADF, but for Mac.

Someone with good Mac knowledge knows it? Akira?

(*) on .adf (extended adf)

Last edited by Supamax; 21 February 2009 at 23:58.
Supamax is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 00:06   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Hi Supamax,

Are the A-Max-formatted 800k floppies readable at all on a Mac? If a Mac can read them, I don't see why they can't be imaged with Disk Copy.

I have had no trouble making images of Mac-formatted 800k floppies on my PCI Mac with any version of Disk Copy I have tried.

Unfortunately I don't have any A-Max-formatted disks myself, nor have I been able to find any images of them.

Perhaps the images you have created on your Amiga could be written to floppies on a Mac using Drive Copy. I have been successful in writing images of Apple Lisa floppies to disk, even when the Mac doesn't understand the filesystem and can't mount the images or the disks after completing the copy.

The only information I have been able to find regarding the copying of A-Max-formatted floppies on an Amiga is that they can be successfully copied with X-Copy or other program with Indexnibble.

prowler
prowler is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 00:19   #13
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
If a Mac can read them, I don't see why they can't be imaged with Disk Copy.
No, the problem is not related to reading them on a Mac. I can read them correctly on my A600 (they are A-Max formatted). The problem is related to dumping them.

I would dump them easily/easier (under A-Max) if I only had Disk Copy .
I tried Disk Copy 4.2 but it doesn't run on my A600. It requires 1.4MB RAM to allocate space for floppy dumping, but I only have a basic A600.

I suppose/hope that Disk Copy versions pre-4.2 (1.0? 2.0?) will work on my Amiga, because they were included with Mac Plus' OS (and mac Plus had a small amount of RAM).

Quote:
I have had no trouble making images of Mac-formatted 800k floppies on my PCI Mac with any version of Disk Copy I have tried.
Could you extract the (old, the oldest you have!) Disk Copy executable from the System disk and upload it?

I searched for a freeware Mac dumping utility but I didn't find a single one... only HD-dumping utilities
Supamax is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 00:38   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Hi Supamax,

Go to this site:
http://homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/e...sk_images.html
and download the System 3.2 Finder 5.3 (June 1986) System Tools disk images and the System 4.1 Finder 5.5 (April 1987) System Tools and Utilities disk images.

One of these disk images should contain the vesion of Disk Copy that you're after.

If you haven't got the means to extract the files from these images, I can do it for you, but not tonight.

prowler

PS. Let me know if you'd like me to do it tomorrow.
prowler is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 00:40   #15
hit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: planet earth
Posts: 1,115
@Supamax: in the control-panel "Memory" there is an option to enable "virtual memory". have you tried this?
hit is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 00:45   #16
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
@ prowler,

thanks for the link my friend , I knew it but couldn't extract anything on my PC (I don't have a Mac). I searched for some Windows utility able to extract files from a Mac image but nothing...

So YES, I would appreciate very much if you could extract Disk Copy for me!!

Also, it would be interesting if you knew any Windows utility which could do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
@Supamax: in the control-panel "Memory" there is an option to enable "virtual memory". have you tried this?
@ hit

Hi hit, do you mean in the A-Max control panel? If so, I didn't notice it... Could I really create some virtual memory by using hard disk space? This is not mentioned in the A-Max manual...
EDIT: if you mean A-Max IV, I cannot use it on my A600

Last edited by Supamax; 22 February 2009 at 00:51.
Supamax is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 01:01   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
@ prowler,

thanks for the link my friend , I knew it but couldn't extract anything on my PC (I don't have a Mac). I searched for some Windows utility able to extract files from a Mac image but nothing...

So YES, I would appreciate very much if you could extract Disk Copy for me!!

Also, it would be interesting if you knew any Windows utility which could do it...
Hi Supamax,

Try TransMac v8.2:
http://www.asy.com/sharetm.htm

Another utility is MacDrive 7.2.6:
http://new.mediafour.com/support/macdrive/

And another is Gemulator Explorer:
http://www.emulators.com/freefile/gemxplor.zip

They're great for extracting files from Macintosh disk images, but watch that you preserve the data and resource forks.

In the meantime, I will see what the oldest version of Disk Copy is that I can extract from the Macintosh System and Utility disk images I have that can handle 800k HFS disks, and I will upload it for you tomorrow if you still need it by then.

prowler
prowler is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 01:15   #18
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
@ prowler,

WOOOW, Gemulator Explorer specs looks really great! I'm trying it ASAP (and let you know) Thanks a lot!
I didn't try MacDrive; I tried TransMac before, but it only works for HD (High Density, I mean) diskettes/images.

EDIT: in case it could be useful, this is another nice site which I found when searching for the dump utility:
http://nbbemulation.free.fr/forum_macintosh/index.php
EDIT2: http://rolli.ch/MacPlus/

Last edited by Supamax; 22 February 2009 at 01:34.
Supamax is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 01:38   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Hi prowler,

as I wrote to you, many days ago I successfully dumped (*) 3 A-Max floppies (I will explain how. I used CrossMac and Powercopy). I have one more which is a real pain to transfer, and one which is ruined.

(*) on .adf (extended adf)
Hi Supamax,

If you have successfully imaged A-Max-formatted floppies on an Amiga using CrossMac and Powercopy, can you restore these images back to floppy using the same utilities?

If you can, then perhaps you could upload the images and the tools required, so that I could restore them on my Amiga. Then I could test them with the registered version of Disk2FDI to see if it can dump them. This could very well be the dumping utility you require, only it's not freeware, unfortunately. Personally, I think it's been well worth the registration fee I paid for my version, considering what it's capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
EDIT: in case it could be useful, this is another nice site which I found when searching for the dump utility:
http://nbbemulation.free.fr/forum_macintosh/index.php
That website is actually a very good Macintosh resource. I first came across it about five months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
That one as well, only I found that one much earlier.

prowler
prowler is offline  
Old 22 February 2009, 02:01   #20
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,515
Hi again prowler,

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
If you have successfully imaged A-Max-formatted floppies on an Amiga using CrossMac and Powercopy, can you restore these images back to floppy using the same utilities?
Yes, of course. Powercopy will suffice (CrossMac was only needed to obtain a better copy, on fresh disks, of my "weak" floppies), but:
a) Powercopy is not easy to use
b) it's not cracked yet; I'm using an AR3 (Action replay 3) dump of Powercopy made by Boo Boo. He made some dumps for different machines (A600, A1200, etc.), so you could ask him an A1200 "release"
c) it would be *much* better with a native Mac floppy dumping utility. With such utility you could - under A-Max - recreate a floppy from the image. An image dumped by you or downloaded from the Web.

Quote:
If you can, then perhaps you could upload the images and the tools required, so that I could restore them on my Amiga. Then I could test them with the registered version of Disk2FDI to see if it can dump them. This could very well be the dumping utility you require, only it's not freeware, unfortunately. Personally, I think it's been well worth the registration fee I paid for my version, considering what it's capable of.
Of course, I will upload the images, no problem.
Regarding DISK2FDI, the last free version (0.9) couldn't dump them (I tried), but perhaps the new registered version can... however, once you have a .fdi image, can you dump it back to a real floppy?
Supamax is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mighty Max Retro1234 project.aGTW 20 23 November 2015 15:00
A-Max ][+ on A2000 shirsch support.Hardware 22 31 March 2014 05:15
MAX Rally mai HOL data problems 1 26 November 2009 22:15
OS 3.5 Max HD Size TheCorfiot support.Hardware 19 01 April 2009 12:50
Space MAX Fred the Fop request.Old Rare Games 4 09 November 2001 17:22

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.39773 seconds with 12 queries