Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2001, 11:58   #1
Paul
RIP Friends

Different WorkBench Setups

The idea of this thread is to see:

1. How different WB can look? and
2. Whos is the best looking?

UPDATE Configs/pics of Emulated or the real thing.

Here is mine

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 21:28.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 September 2001, 13:19   #2
Amigaboy

Your icons are huge dude

Old 29 September 2001, 13:29   #3
RetroMan

Hmmm, do we speak of WinUAE or a real Amiga ???
Old 29 September 2001, 13:37   #4
Amigaboy

Judging from the amount of digits his chip and fast mem have, I would say an emulated Workbench is fine too

Old 29 September 2001, 13:56   #5
Drake1009

I might as well just describe my workbench setup instead of posting a picture, you all know it.

Standard 8 color setup (With the blue made more dark blue), grey background, and about 5 icons on the "desktop" (I don't know what that's called in workbench) and that's about it.

Tried installing newIcons which slowed it down considerably. Tried installing MagicWB which slowed it down a lot.
Tried installing MUI (I think that was for newicons) which ate all my RAM except 500 kb
Tried making different color schemes which made the icons look bad.
Considered making a background image at least, which I never got around to because my futile attempts at small files to be tiled never looked good.

So that's why I just have a boring looking workbench like most of you probably know it.
Old 29 September 2001, 14:16   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

I have the same problems as you Drake1009 and hate the look of my setup. So I am going to Look at what tools AIAB use and search the net for them.

Anyway I started this to see, what everyone else have used? and what everyone recommends? My icons are tooooooooo big

To Confirm My screen shot is from WinUAE.

Last edited by Paul; 29 September 2001 at 14:22.
Old 29 September 2001, 15:22   #7
Paul
RIP Friends

I changed my mind

I will just Leave AIAB installed and remove things I don't need.
Old 29 September 2001, 15:38   #8
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Eek

What is wrong with you people???

You CANNOT improve on perfection so why bother, I keep all my workbench screens in their virginal states, untouched by human hands since they left the factory.

Shame on you
Old 29 September 2001, 15:59   #9
Drake1009

*Hangs head in shame*

I'm sorry Ian. I really am. I guess I'm just lazy. I somewhat like my look of it as it is now. One thing I'd like would be the ability to unzip files without having to use the CLI every time.

And then I'd like a simple background which won't take too much memory. I'll just have to keep trying and then probably decide to keep the grey background in the end.
Old 29 September 2001, 16:18   #10
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Drake you haven't changed yours much, so I'll let you off, it's the rest of you tarts that should feel ashamed
Old 29 September 2001, 17:59   #11
Drake1009

YAY I'm off the hook

geez we have a kermit smilie here too?
Old 29 September 2001, 18:15   #12
Amigaboy

<-- Why are there so many, songs about rainbows, and what's on the oooother side

Quote:
ability to unzip files without having to use the CLI every time.
There's a few programs on Aminet which act as GUIs. These could be useful for you

But. Towards the end of Amiga Format, a new program was released called X-Arc ( http://www.vapor.com/xarc/ ) which was very much like WinZip. It's not free, but it was pretty good (although I've always used the command line)

Old 29 September 2001, 21:33   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Me, too. The command line versions of archive/dearchive software are always better, IMHO. The only reason it's better using a GUI version on the PC is because DOS will never function like a shell, so the GUI version on a PC is better than having to use DOS. But since the Amiga hasn't the trivial shortcomings of DOS, the command line is much more powerful, useful and easy to use.

And I would never run Workbench as is, out of the box. I don't need a lot of fancy visual replacements, but there are many useful things that improve Workbench's performance, like Magic Menu, to name but one.
Old 29 September 2001, 22:06   #14
Drake1009

Well what I meant with a gui would be that I just needed something to do the work for me instead of having to type everything every time. I know that in comparison to windows you can double click a file and then enter a command with that as a parameter which is something I'd really want to use in Windows instead of calling up a DOS-prompt every single time. But for known files I'd like to customize something to do every time. I noticed the screenshot of AIAB had some sort of right-click menu which looked like you could customize it (Open with and then some customized things). Could anyone say what was used for that? If something exists as alternatives and if they take up a lot of memory? I tried installing a menu which appeared at the mouse, but that was a complete mirror of the drop down menus from workbench and while handy not having to move the mouse too much it was fairly useless even though it didn't take much memory.
Old 30 September 2001, 04:06   #15
Amigaboy

What you can do is:

- Install Magic Menu for the anywhere your mouse is will be a menu thingy

- Install ToolsDaemon (One of my favourite Amiga programs) to customise your menus with whatever you want.

I have no idea if there's one program that does it all, but the above method should work fine (although I haven't tested it)

Old 30 September 2001, 04:32   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yup, those two are pre-requisites. Another bonus of MagicMenu is that you won't have to hold the left mouse button down for drop-down menus any longer (if you choose that option, that is). Worth it for that alone!

You might also consider adding Directory Opus, as well.
Old 30 September 2001, 13:32   #17
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Big grin Mine Rules!!

I think everyone agrees mine is the dogs bollox. Lol. It's got all the extras as well. MUI, MagicMenu, ToolsDaemon, DOpus. It's taken about 2 years to get it to how it is now.

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 21:28.
Old 30 September 2001, 14:41   #18
Amigaboy

I've got just about everything installed on my setup, and what makes it great.....From a cold reboot, my machine boots in 2 seconds (literally 2 seconds)

That's sweet. How many other systems can do that?

(of course, I've customised mine to shit, but it doesn't matter. 2 seconds!)

Old 30 September 2001, 15:44   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And that's something no Windows box will EVER do. Not EVER!
Old 30 September 2001, 17:06   #20
Shadowfire

Well maybe you should check out "suspend to RAM" mode, if your motherboard supports it... (as far as I know, only i815 & later motherboards do) after P.O.S.T. it takes me all of 2 seconds to get to my Windows screen.

Of course, it's not a cold boot, but if you don't mind turning off your machine by "suspend to RAM", you can also have fast boots.
AdSense AdSense