English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 October 2004, 08:38   #1
tom

installing sas/c

hello

i found the sas/c 6.5 disks on amiganostalgia.com (five .dms files). now what i do with these ? if i try to read them with winua, amigaos says it can't read those disks, and apparently they aren't bootable neither.

cheers
tom

AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 October 2004, 12:16   #2
HCF
Zone Friend

Do you have problems with DMS files ? Maybe you need to update WinUAE then...You could try and convert them to ADFs and see if the image is just bad or where the problem is...Disks should be regular DOS disks and readable (I think you can even boot from them if I remember correctly...)
Old 14 October 2004, 12:47   #3
tom

i did both test and unpack (to adf) the dms files with xdms, which said that the images were ok. do i need a certain kickstart/workbench version (i tried it with 1.3 only) ?

Old 14 October 2004, 12:52   #4
HCF
Zone Friend

No, it should run with 1.1+....Do you use the ADF image or the DMS image ? If you are using ADFs and it still doesn't work, maybe transfer the files with ADF Opus or something like that...Then make those disks bootable (assuming the version you have also boots)...
If they don't boot, use any Workbench disk and then use the CLI to look for the compiler...Hope this helps
Old 14 October 2004, 13:10   #5
tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
If they don't boot, use any Workbench disk and then use the CLI to look for the compiler...Hope this helps
that's what i already tried. i opened a cli, entered "cd df1:" and got the error message "Not a DOS disk in unit 1".

but i can see the content of the disk images with adf opus...

Old 14 October 2004, 13:24   #6
HCF
Zone Friend

Try what I said....Use ADF Opus and make a blank disk, then transfer all the files...
Old 14 October 2004, 14:00   #7
tom

strange, seems to work when i create new images with adf opus, like you said. i haven't actually tried to install it yet, but at least i can read the disks now.

just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why ?

Old 14 October 2004, 14:08   #8
HCF
Zone Friend

Probably WinUAE screwing up...Like I said, I had the same problem and could not read DMS or DMZ files until I installed the new version....If yours is older you might want to do the same, should fix your problem...
The alternative is of course that the image is bad but ADF Opus is more tolerant and by transferring the files you create new files on a new (error free) disk...

At least my two cents...
Old 14 October 2004, 14:19   #9
tom

uh...during installation i get the message that i should insert volume "envarc:"...what's this ?

i'm quite new to the amiga, i own one since 4 years or so, but never got around to do much on it, just toyed around with devpac a bit, and now i wanted to toy around a bit with c...

Old 15 October 2004, 05:58   #10
HCF
Zone Friend

How do you install the program ? Do you boot from disk or Workbench ?? If you are using a Workbench disk, you should check out the startup-sequence on the first disk, most likely it is an assigned device...If neccessary just try to use Assign in the CLI to assign it to ram:envarc or something like that...

And if you want to toy around, maybe try Seka Assembler !
Old 15 October 2004, 08:10   #11
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
And if you want to toy around, maybe try Seka Assembler !
... or PhxAss
Old 15 October 2004, 08:46   #12
tom

nah, i bootet with another workbench disk, put sasc disk1 into df1 and start the installer. of course for toying around a bit with the copper an assembler is enough (i used devpac for that, but i might indeed change to phxass), but occasionally you need a lookup table or something like that, and it would be cool if i could write the code for that in c...

i might give vbcc and dice a try, vbcc looks pretty cool, and there's a win32 hosted version of it. it generates only > os 2.0 executables, though.

Old 16 October 2004, 00:20   #13
HCF
Zone Friend

No idea about PhxAss...Seka is my favorite assembler of all time for the Amiga...Nothing comes even close and not without reason are Seka and Soundtracker some of the most popular programs on the Amiga no matter how old they are (I think they're from 86/87)...

And as I expected, the problem is the startup disk...Check out the startup-sequence and see what it does, most likely you will find your explanation there...And you can use inline assembler if you need it in C for simple stuff...
AdSense AdSense