English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2006, 10:04   #61
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo
All interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it all.

I always got the impression that ComradeJ had more in common with the industry than the scene. Though find it hard to see what he would gain, other than wodges of cash, for the 'expert' witness stuff. The expert bit would have been fairly tenuous by that point anyway - "I was active on the scene about six or so years ago in a non-cracking group without so much as a bbs your honour" - I mean wtf?!

Maybe he felt some kind of strange guilt for teaching so many future crackers to code.....
Yeah but try and get a barrister to explain Blue Boxing... ??

"My lord, this is where the defendant did something clever with the phone system" (yes, thats what he REALLY said).. I still have some nice hi-res pics of the screen showing all the BBS numbers and UADialer... I wonder if that still works (not that there is a need to phreak these days)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 May 2006, 11:07   #62
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
"My lord, this is where the defendant did something clever with the phone system"
Awesome
Old 18 May 2006, 13:39   #63
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Its true....
Old 18 May 2006, 16:22   #64
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Its true....
Hahaha - Classic!

Methanoid, you should type all of that stuff up and post it somewhere. It sounds farcical.
Old 18 May 2006, 17:11   #65
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

It was typed up.. well sort of... it was reported in "The Watford Observer" with the scary headline (frontpage) of "Daffy Duck Sold Pirate Software" - don't ask..
Old 19 May 2006, 15:43   #66
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Watford - Twinned with Cherbourg, France and Phone Phreaking!
Old 22 May 2006, 09:44   #67
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Watford - Twinned with Cherbourg, France and Phone Phreaking!
U been here then? Twas funny cos at the time the cops arrived there were 4 of the 5 lines connected to USA BBS via "les box bleu"
Old 22 May 2006, 10:27   #68
-=SPY=-

I miss my old Whitebox program ... too many lamers learnt how to box thats why phreaking died in the ass and so did the scene....

At&t cards were dangerous to use... 1800 numbers log all calls so thats why people got into trouble......

Whitebox R.I.P.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:48   #69
Crown
Demoscener

Quote:
N.O.M.A.D. got a visit as well, but somehow he managed to bluff his way out, they never realised who they had!
hello,

would you know the country of origin of nomad? I have him in my database but I am missing infos.
Old 22 May 2006, 14:18   #70
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown
hello,

would you know the country of origin of nomad? I have him in my database but I am missing infos.

UK
Old 22 May 2006, 15:07   #71
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPY=-
I miss my old Whitebox program ... too many lamers learnt how to box thats why phreaking died in the ass and so did the scene....
One of the newspapers published how to do it. Which can't have helped......
Old 22 May 2006, 15:20   #72
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

there was also a program on Channel 4 in the UK where two idiots showed with Roxbox, an Amiga, a pair of headphones how to phreak.

British Telecom up to that point didn't give a fuck as it wasn't money coming from their pockets and they didn't want to modify all the exchanges to stop it, but that program signalled the end of phreaking in the UK.

I was always careful with Calling Cards, never using them too much so as to be a 'target'.
Old 22 May 2006, 17:05   #73
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
UK
Yeah Brum!!!! but he was a decent bloke despite that
Old 22 May 2006, 18:16   #74
blade002
Zone Friend

I only know of 2 that i still occasionally see. the 1st is Dave who first bought his Amiga in 1990, so i soon followed in the same year. in about 1995, he stopped using his Amiga and went to the Playstation.

And then there is Martin who swapped games with me, and was my main Amiga buddy. Most of more memorable gaming years were spent with this guy, and he was a great mate as well!. Playing Steel Empire, Dogs Of War, Mortal Kombat ..etc.. in 2 player was brilliant!... or just trying to get through Katakis while the other watched and took his turn next to see if he could get further!?.. lol..

Another funny thing that Marty would do too was when he was dead tired, he would just bow his head down for a 5 minute sleep and play for another 6 hours!.. hehe..

There was another friend i havent seen in years that was really into the Amiga and that was Nigel !?.. you out there mate, you reading this??... you still in Bundaberg?.
Old 23 May 2006, 00:59   #75
fstarter

another article about the Maximilien
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...82837#continue
Old 23 May 2006, 10:03   #76
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarter
another article about the Maximilien
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...82837#continue

And Google reveals that Max is the man behind Divineo.. the people who sell stuff for consoles that really isnt designed to bypass copy protection.. honest guv!!
Old 23 May 2006, 10:50   #77
-=SPY=-

@Galahad

I can remember a few people selling At cards , one actually was an Amiga owner who worked for At&T as a operator .. lol... and one of them ended up in some maximum federal prison in the states for it,but he was selling them bulk to the ruskies so was to be expected... There were Many people in the scene who got busted and were never heard from again.

I was in a Group called Liberty ( a Aussie phreaking group) who wrote a Australian version of Whitebox,They got busted for At&t cards and for Carding) i left the scene soon after.....

If you ever get a chance to read Crackers journal 28 article 169 you will see a text i wrote about the First ever Bigtime bust for phreaking in Australia.

Last edited by -=SPY=-; 23 May 2006 at 10:56.
Old 26 May 2006, 10:41   #78
mangemani

when i was a kid i had it all,had an amiga,had an neighbour with an amiga500+,had friends that sometimes visit and played some games and so on.
i spent almost all my time growing up at my neighbour,playing all sorts of game,especialy SWOS,played tournaments with him and 2 more friends,up all night,playing and playing,hired guns,battle squadron,premier manager,you name it,kept drinking trocadero(a swedish soda) and shouting and cheering each time a guy scored in some game,well,you get the picture,it was the best time of my life(the golden years)...BUT...when i was 15(i think) my neighbour decided to move away,it was one of the sadest thing that have ever happened to me,one of my best friends and the guy that i had played games with all my life,now moved away,sure,i had my other friends left,but it wasnt the same thing.
some years later me and my parents moved away to,lost contact with the most of my game mates and "the golden years" was over...today,i play all the games that i and my old gaming friends played,just to keep the memories alive(i never want to lose these memories),my new friends just shake their heads and say "but for the love of good,why dont you play the never games instead of playing those old ugly games",but they just dont get it how good and important these games are for me,they didnt grow up with an amiga so they will never get it i guess.

ah well,thats my "sad" story
Old 26 May 2006, 12:35   #79
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangemani
my new friends just shake their heads and say "but for the love of good,why dont you play the never games instead of playing those old ugly games",but they just dont get it how good and important these games are for me,they didnt grow up with an amiga so they will never get it i guess.

ah well,thats my "sad" story
I understand your sentiments exaclty because thats just the way i feel about all these Amiga games & also the Amiga. A special time in my life too, and one that was truly the happiest.

In saying that people must think that i havent lived?, but i truly have and have experienced so many things and loved so many women,... I just cant put my finger on why the Amiga captures me so much?

Im with ya all the way my friend. Hold onto those memories like i will

Last edited by blade002; 26 May 2006 at 12:43.
Old 26 May 2006, 13:20   #80
mangemani

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
I understand your sentiments exaclty because thats just the way i feel about all these Amiga games & also the Amiga. A special time in my life too, and one that was truly the happiest.

In saying that people must think that i havent lived?, but i truly have and have experienced so many things and loved so many women,... I just cant put my finger on why the Amiga captures me so much?

Im with ya all the way my friend. Hold onto those memories like i will
yeah,dont quite understand it either,had long lasting relationships,traveled around the world,experienced so much,loved so many things and everything was fun,but nothing beats the amiga time,nothing.

those memories are tatoed in my memory and i cant just wait untill i get my own kids so i can share my memories with them and let them play the games and pass the knowledge on to them.
AdSense AdSense