English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 December 2009, 07:07   #181
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

I was just born when the CD32 and commodore went bankrupt, so no, I didn't know about it until six months ago...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 January 2010, 22:25   #182
ultramarine

I used to hangout on the TRSI boards boondocks and pirate ship. Used the cc for a while and also used the at&t back door for a while.

Old 04 January 2010, 01:17   #183
trackah123
Amiga User

I didnt have amigascene friends in the past. i was too young (around 13 years old).
But now i have some new dutch amigascene.nl friends from regular meetings.

Better late then never
Old 04 January 2010, 13:48   #184
Crown
Demoscener

MrFluffy: could you contact me as I have a few questions to ask about your amiga groups

cheers

crown/cryptoburners
Old 17 February 2010, 02:40   #185
lanky

Well one has responded..

aka "lanky" I PMed him directly. If he doesnt get it ..someone let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Alright, i am putting some full names out there for Amiga guys i used to know, because i have had shit all luck with aliases. So here goes!

Nigel Kerr - ( Your Amiga buddy from Melbourne )

Guvenc Kakmak - ( You lived just down the street from me )

Paul Demark - ( Met you at Broadmeadows TAFE in 1995 )

If any of you guys read this, CONTACT ME !!!!....

Old 17 February 2010, 20:19   #186
lost_lemming

all my past amiga friends have just all moved on with the times (they now play with boring stuff like xboxes and whatnot) I guess im the sad one who's stuck in 1992. nevermind. hehheh.
Old 14 November 2013, 03:53   #187
PMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
Do you remember getting busted in NJ and cooperating with the authorities to run a 'sting' BBS and bust lots of the scenes best cellphone hackers to save your own skin?
You may be interested to hear the full story behind all of that, in this months FHM.

Old 17 November 2013, 16:49   #188
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

On line article?
Old 17 November 2013, 19:11   #189
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF View Post
You may be interested to hear the full story behind all of that, in this months FHM.
Is this for real?
Old 18 November 2013, 13:29   #190
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Would be interesting, might just buy a single issue on the ipad to see. Could someone stateside check the US FHM website/issue, as the OP appears to be from NJ, and the US mag differs to the UK edition.
Old 01 December 2013, 00:47   #191
PMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis View Post
Would be interesting, might just buy a single issue on the ipad to see. Could someone stateside check the US FHM website/issue, as the OP appears to be from NJ, and the US mag differs to the UK edition.
It's in the UK FHM this month (99p on Google Play Magazines this weekend), and the South Africa & France FHM next month.

Old 02 December 2013, 13:54   #192
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Page 144 of the Dec 2013 issue... reading now. Worth the 99p, though it doesnt seem to go to my Hudl or iPad yet! Browser reading... yuch

Edit: The article is crap. Dont bother buying it for that. Not well written, no "inside info". Took all of 60 seconds to read it. To be honest, it seems eerily familiar in tone and style to the self-penned articles that appeared in the various scene mags 20+ years ago

Last edited by prowler; 02 December 2013 at 21:21. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 02 December 2013, 14:27   #193
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Diana Vickers cover?
Old 03 December 2013, 02:00   #194
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Yep. Its worth the 99p. But not for the article
Old 04 December 2013, 01:53   #195
xArtx

Amiga Community, please do not bother, or with his new book on Amazon.

The money is much more worthwhile spent on 512K of RAM,
or if you are really interested in the phone history, which with all respect,
has absolutely nothing to do with the Amiga, or any other computing platform,
check this out:
http://explodingthephone.com

But please, do not throw your money away!
I have not read the book I suggested, but I know that there would be little if
any room in it's pages for any self professed "One of the Greatest Hackers in the World"
featured in the first book, who did not enter the scene until the great work was done.

Ps.. This IS history, and any developed country will nail you quickly and easily now.
Old 04 December 2013, 12:58   #196
WayneK

Quote:
alewis: Page 144 of the Dec 2013 issue... reading now.
Damn, I flicked through it quickly in WH Smith the other day, and couldn't find any words...
Now I'll have to look again, they're going to think I'm a pervert

Of course since I know the REAL story, I might have a different perspective on the article
Old 05 December 2013, 15:24   #197
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Well, you could always write the real story, and submit to, say Maxim? Who knows, might be some shekels in it.
Old 06 December 2013, 19:49   #198
PMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
Of course since I know the REAL story, I might have a different perspective on the article
The book is 100% the real story (the good and the bad) exactly as it happened - the article is a very abbreviated version and doesn't really talk about most of it.

Last edited by PMF; 06 December 2013 at 20:02.

Old 07 December 2013, 05:16   #199
xArtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF View Post
The book is 100% the real story (the good and the bad) exactly as it happened - the article is a very abbreviated version and doesn't really talk about most of it.
I find it interesting that you didn't turn up here until it came time to cause
currency to flow from the Amiga community, indirectly to your wallet,
and have taken an interest in preventing that from happening.

Quote:
A BRITISH HACKER IN AMERICA: THE STORY OF PMF & ‘OPERATION CYBERSNARE’ - THE SECRET SERVICE’S FIRST ONLINE STING Before you'd even heard of Kevin Mitnick, or even knew what a hacker was, there were faceless individuals scouring the world's early computer and telephone systems - searching for knowledge and enlightenment. PMF was one of the best. In 1995, the U.S. Secret Service ran the first online internet sting in New Jersey. It was in place to catch hackers who were breaking into large communication carriers, and the people who were exploiting the systems to their advantage. It all started when a British hacker was caught breaking into company phone switches in New Jersey. Our story starts in 1981 on the Isle of Wight, England. PMF was one of the first to pick up and use computers to his advantage – knowing more than the teachers, he promptly took over the computers - breaking into systems at his school to move cute girls into classes near to his. Systems were never damaged, just carefully put back as they were so his tracks were not found. Later in our story, as so-called “phone phreaks” were learning how to make free phone calls to the USA from the UK, PMF got to meet and exchange ideas with some of the coolest of the bunch. Once in the US, he took the group under his wing - only to be double crossed by a close friend when federal agents later arrested them. A deal was struck between the agency and PMF. He would help them catch people who were making a financial gain from exploiting the cellular phone companies, and teach the corporations the many tricks he had learned over the years which allowed him to penetrate their systems. The story concludes with the raiding of 12 locations throughout the USA, along with the arrest of at least 6 major hackers. "He was a real hacker, a master at penetrating computer networks to gather information" Bergen County, New Jersey Record
You are bringing that to a community that quite possibly does provide
meeting place for what are currently some of the greatest hackers in the
world by todays' definition.
Even the likes of these could well be ignorant to what it really took
(decades prior) to even get you off the ground.
Some of these people are still with us, and know how simple it was to be
one of the greatest hackers in the world in 1981.

It is my strong feeling, that although you could easily emulate trick boxes
with an Amiga in the day, that you would not understand some of the
fundamental principles of a phone's operation some of which can and cannot be Googled,
and it has been evidenced that you have little idea, or respect for the people
who did the work to make your exploits possible.

It is not particularly the irrelevant front cover graphics, but the description
that is off, and self-obsessed, it certainly comes over that way to myself and others.
It's a real shame if the book does contain any valid content,
but be assured that it's many order of magnitude less interesting than what was going on decades before.
Old 10 December 2013, 00:34   #200
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

1981? Um, we were at it long before then. Mark T and I were doing it in 1977/78. And were by no means the first.

As for re-scheduling classes, or moving 'girls'... I call "rollocks", computers were not used for that in the early 80's. At best, schools had a PET or a Research Machines 380Z, not networked, (or an old ICL 2903 teletype link) and used in the fledgling CSE Computer Science course.

"later, as ... were learning to make free phone calls to the USA"... later? Again, we were doing that in 1978.
AdSense AdSense