English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 October 2004, 13:04   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Push Push Penguin for Amiga

Hey Peeps!

I just finished my entry for the Retro Remakes compo 2004 (www.remakes.org) - its a kind of Pengo remake but VERY enahnced (in every aspec - gameplay, graphics, variety, etc.). I did it with a very portable engine so there will be different ports popping out soon and am thinking of Amiga version... I am not sure if it is feasable, since I haven't done any amiga coding in years and this is pure C++ so I don't know it would port over (especially without using hardware sprites but only bobs) ? What do you think ??? Feasable or not ? AGA only or ECS ? Some stuff like transparencies will probably have to go - but thats not a biggy...

here is the download link (it is for windows , around 1.2 Mb big) :

http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/tomca...hPenguin10.zip

Best regards,
Tomaz
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 October 2004, 15:22   #2
oldpx

WOW! Very good. It would be nice to have this on amiga too

Old 03 October 2004, 16:33   #3
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Excellent mate .. I just played it for quite a while .. well polished
Old 03 October 2004, 18:24   #4
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Thanx !

It now has its own site

http://www.armyoftrolls.co.uk/penguins/index.htm

TC
Old 04 October 2004, 14:43   #5
RCK
Administrator

very good game
Old 06 October 2004, 14:13   #6
Frog

It looks very nice, cute graphics I hope to see a conversion on amiga
Old 06 October 2004, 18:59   #7
Akira

This is just the way I like my games. It's excellent! Grand! Brill!

I wish I could help in getting it ported to the amiga, shouldn't be hard to hancle even for an ECS machine! If you get someone that codes it I can help you out with music and gfx.

Keep up the great work!
Old 07 October 2004, 09:18   #8
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Well, music is already in mod format (sfx was done on C64 and saved as WAV ;-) - but it WAS done especially for PPP) - by non other than 4Mat - who all of you know probably ;-)

Gfx would also fit the 32 colours (or 64 if needed) so no problem there.

The only thing is that if I would port it to Amiga I wouldn't use any hardware sprites, etc. just normal BOB's and I am not sure if it would work fast enough ? Hardware scrolling would go ofcourse...

Currently I don't have time to do this, but in a few months there will be time...

TC
Old 07 October 2004, 18:58   #9
Akira

4mat! sweet

I'm not techie enough to help you out with those matters Maybe one of our resident coders (Codetapper, Galahad, CFou?) can give you a tip here?
Old 07 October 2004, 19:19   #10
oldpx

Although I have to add that the name reminds me of this every time I see this thread name in the new posts list:
Attached Images

Old 07 October 2004, 19:48   #11
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hehe... I am sure too... although by the looks of it they are VERY busy... one of them promised to help out with a certain IK fighting game called The Way of the Hubba around 2 years ago ;-))) (which is basically finished, just needs some small touches to make it fully playable and maybe a WHDLoad install).
Old 07 October 2004, 21:37   #12
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Nice game tomcat, very polished. It's like something I'd expect to see in an arcade of my childhood

I'd guess the Amiga would be able to handle this no problem, even if you did it in C++ and ran it under the OS without hardware sprites. There's not really very much going on on-screen at all.

RE: sprites - you'd be limited to 4 or 16 colours and 8 or 4 objects on screen at once respectively, unless you got clever with copperlists and even then there would be situations where you would need to fall back to a bob system. Also the graphics formats for sprites and bobs are different so you'd need two sets or some code to dynamically convert (and cache?) them.

So given that you don't have much moving about and the fact that you'd need to implement a bob system anyway, I'd go for bobs alone to keep it simple. If it's too slow then you can think about dropping in some asm code, using sprites or whatever. Make it work, THEN make it fast

FWIW Uridium 2 uses a combo sprite and bob system, but theres a helluva lot more screen movement in that than PPP

BTW what's this "Way Of The Hubba" ?
Old 07 October 2004, 23:57   #13
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I did quite some amiga ASM coding in my days ;-) I would do bob loops and stuff like that in ASM - is there a good amiga C++ compiler which lets you do embedded ASM and easy paramter passing between asm and c++ portions ? And copper lists, etc. Can't wait really, unfortunetly timing stinks and I will need atleast 2-3 months before I can start on miggy version (currently working on mobile version and uni just started too... )

Way of the Hubba - its an IK type game with 4 players that some friends of mine worked on a few years back. The game got almost finished when they stopped working on it. I have got (and posted here) full sources (even with the dev. system they used) + last version in an .adf file. It is quite impressive - nice gameplay and everything. Full gameplay is done, but it is lacking some sort of game selection (number of players, etc.) - not much work, might even be done with Function keys inside the game - the code is all there.

Here is the thread with info/screenshots... if you know of someone who would be able to do something with it to get a nice release out - then do contact me

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=hubba
Old 08 October 2004, 00:08   #14
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
@tomcat666 Sorry mate, I think I underestimated your knowledge of Amiga things there. Hope I didn't come across as too patronising

C++ compilers - I guess you're looking at gcc really. SAS/C had limited C++ support, I don't know about StormC and I'm not sure HiSoft ever released their C++ dev system. Never used gcc so I can't be much more help than that, but ISTR you can do embedded asm.

Mobile version of PPP sounds cool. I'm kinda hoping the company I work for will diversify into mobile things - guess who will be first in the queue for the Java game programming positions?

I'll check out WotH thanks. I've still got my own game to finish from 1997 though, so I won't be programming anything myself
Old 08 October 2004, 09:11   #15
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Nono, I didn't mean it like that at all girv ! Just mentioned that to write some tight asm loops for time-consuming things like drawing bobs, masking, etc. wouldn't really be a problem for me...

I did quite a lot of gcc stuff in my time, so that wouldn't be a problem, just didn't know there is an amiga version of it - never checked...
Old 09 October 2004, 19:35   #16
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666
Nono, I didn't mean it like that at all girv ! Just mentioned that to write some tight asm loops for time-consuming things like drawing bobs, masking, etc. wouldn't really be a problem for me...
(cough) blitter?
Old 09 October 2004, 20:37   #17
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hehe, you can see my first blitter effect in "The Beginning" demo on aminet :-) It is a bit crappy, but my first demo ever...
AdSense AdSense