English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

View Poll Results: Should EAB's Mods be Elected?
Yes 12 42.86%
No 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 October 2004, 01:23   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Annual Moderator Elections

RCK

How about once a year (January?) EAB holds elections for the years moderators?

I personally think some mods become far too comfy in their roles and dont do a great job, while others are consistently very good.

With elections the good ones would be re elected and the ones that have overstayed their welcome would be gone.

Just an idea
Old 03 October 2004, 01:27   #2
Peanutuk

It sounds good to me and asserts the democratic principles that the EAB is based upon.

Obviously there will have to be a criteria of who can vote (obvious newbies etc. would have to be ineligible) but otherwise how can this harm our community?
Old 03 October 2004, 01:33   #3
Jim

But wouldn't this just be used by people who bare grudges ?

And what about if for example someone like me or Marz put ourselves up for election and just for fun people started to vote for us. You could end up with a worse moderator than Akira !

Dangerous things can happen in real politics and voting, if you don't believe me read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

Old 03 October 2004, 01:35   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Minimum post counts for people wishing to niminate themselves
Old 03 October 2004, 01:35   #5
Peanutuk

Obviously there would have to be safeguards. Dast was merely suggesting whether, on principle, whether this seems to be a good idea.

Ofcourse voters have a responsibility too, if they vote for unsuitable candidates then that is the limitation of democracy. It ain't all gravy....

EDIT: Although what the hell is wrong with a Monkey for mayor? You have one as a mod.
Old 03 October 2004, 01:37   #6
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
Although what the hell is wrong with a Monkey for mayor? You have one as a mod.
Shit, just realised that !! hehe

Old 03 October 2004, 01:55   #7
oldpx

@Dast

This is a good idea by itself but I will vote NO because I don't like the the fact that while you obviously want a specific mod removed, you avoid saying this out loud and making up this poll instead, securing yourself.

This is a "should X's mod status be removed or not" poll and I vote no.

edit: regular editing. forgot to type "want" in the first sentence. added.

Last edited by oldpx; 03 October 2004 at 04:39.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:02   #8
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Burseg

Well thanks for jumping to that conclusion but you are WRONG. Dont say 'obviously' as if it were a fact when it is merely your opinion.

The truth is I have been pissed off many times by bad moderating by more than one moderator over the years, and it is this THAT I believe people should have the chance to get rid of.

Nice to know you think so highly of me
Old 03 October 2004, 02:07   #9
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
@Dast

This is a good idea by itself but I will vote NO because I don't like the the fact that while you obviously a specific mod removed, you avoid saying this out loud and making up this poll instead, securing yourself.

This is a "should X's mod status be removed or not" poll and I vote no.
I don't really understand what you are writing Burseg. This shouldn't be about personal grudges but about what all members feel are in the interests of the entire board. I myself am putting my 'status' on the line by agreeing with Dast and I will not allow this thread to degenerate into petty name calling or the expression of personal remarks.
Old 03 October 2004, 02:08   #10
oldpx

It's obvious to me that you are annoyed with one or more moderator and don't want that specific person as a mod anymore so I still don't see something to change my mind. It's not about thinking any low of you. I would appreciate a more direct reaction to a specific event that might have happened to you than posting a poll. I have been mistreated by a mod before and I had troubles before. And I could have taken sneaky paths that wouldn't lead me to a ban but I didn't so I'm that kind of person which doesn't make me great, just makes me vote NO and tell my opinion about it.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:13   #11
Peanutuk

Not clear who you are reffering to, but it seems that Dast's suggestion is asking for an end to exactly what you are asking for - sneaky underhandedness that eminates from personal opinions. If everyone takes part then there can be no way that the personal 'grudges' you accuse Dast of can influence any outcome.
Old 03 October 2004, 02:19   #12
oldpx

As I said, the voting possibility can be good by itself but my answer would be yes only if the idea came from rck so that I would not seek anything beneath it. Now I do. I hope I'm clear about this.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:19   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

The only moderator I have ever had any problem with here isnt a mod (or even a visitor) here any more, and my dislike for his methods was perfectly clear to him, RCK and everybody else at the time. Why you think Im suddenly underhanded now I dont know.

The point of the elections would be to vote in the moderators that the MAJORITY of people want in the role. Your misguided opinion that I have a hidden agenda is completely irrelevant as my one vote alone to oust moderator x would be wasted if the rest of the voters didnt agree. And if they did then, hey, thats democracy.

Ive told you my reasons why I think mods should be voted in but if you dont believe me then thats your choice.

Last edited by Dastardly; 03 October 2004 at 02:37.
Old 03 October 2004, 02:22   #14
oldpx

If the thread hadn't appeared in a day we discussed heavy stuff over irc and here I wouldn't be suspicious. I would hate to be unjust about you but I also prefer to because in fact I want to believe this is a honest poll. I only don't want any mod to lose his head because of some crappy debate over lemon so I have reasons to be suspicious.

The thread DID appear at a bad time. If I'm overreacting please forgive me but I might not be.

If mods were elected from the day I joined everything would be different and probably better.

Last edited by oldpx; 03 October 2004 at 02:29.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:23   #15
Peanutuk

Hey let's chill....

Anybody else have opinions about this?
Old 03 October 2004, 02:27   #16
oldpx

I'm the aggressive bastard again.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:50   #17
Peanutuk

Let's remember that Dast isn't suggesting that we the vote should be made now but sometime in the future, so there isn't any chance of any knee-jerk reaction and a positive result either way doesn't put it in concrete; it's just a poll
Old 03 October 2004, 02:50   #18
oldpx

Another thing. This board is OWNED by rck so he has the right to reject anyone as a mod at the moment. He will keep this right even if the mods are elected for if he doesn't, he will risk getting annoyed with a mod he doesn't want on the board he runs and pays for. If he says he keeps the right, even before the voting, this will prevent the application of a truly democratic election.

So a more appropriate "suggestion" format might work but then I believe "remove this guy and put this guy instead" thing and RCK's open acceptance or rejection can be trouble sources on their own, especially for him.

Old 03 October 2004, 02:52   #19
BippyM
Global Moderator

I am neutral.. not bothered either way !!!
Old 03 October 2004, 02:54   #20
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Burseg

Thanks for pointing out the obvious there

@Bippy

Chicken!