English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 September 2004, 01:46   #1
Lusted_RICE

A500 HD/WHDLoad ?

I used to be an Amiga600/1200 owned back in the day and I am using WINUAE/AIAB right now "trying" to configure the basic 2 systems needed to run most games:

- An Amiga1200/4000 with AGA chipset and HD (for playing most recent and AGA-ONLY games)
- An Amiga500 with OCS/ECS for running those stubborn ancient games that needed kickstart 1.3 and run erratic in non kick1.3 environment.

Having successfully configured AIAB environment emulating the A1200, I have a problem setting up the A500 one.
I mean...Old games need OCS/ECS - 1MB (or 512KB) Ram - Kickstart 1.3.
But how am I supposed to play them from A500 Hard Disk?
Can anyone point out the procedure of setting up that?
I want to be able to install WHDLoad ECS/OCS games to the hard disk of an emulated A500. I got to the point of installing WorkBench 1.3(btw, can I install WB3.1 on a500/kick 1.3?) but I cant mount PC hard drives in order to install the games located there.
I am so confused!
Thanks in advance

Old 14 September 2004, 01:59   #2
Akira

You can use any config you want to run them off the HD No need to use an A500 config, the beauty of WHDLoad is that it fixes game for their use on any new system!

So your A1200 and HD setup wil;l work fine with any OCS/ECS WHDload game. WHDload doesn't even work in anything below Kickstart/WB 2.0.
Old 14 September 2004, 02:17   #3
Lusted_RICE

Thanks for your prompt reply Akira but whenever I try to play some ECS/OCS games in the A1200 environment (68040, CPU:fastest possible, AGA chipset, 2MB Chip/8MB Fast mem) like Chuck Rock, Rick Dangerous 1&2, Beast, SWIV, Wings, Turrican 2 I get some distortions...garbaged graphs, incorrect speed and so. If I try to load AIAB with anything lower than 68020 I get picasso errors. AGA games work wonderfully (most of the times).
Which settings should I use as a config in ordet to play those HD installed oooold games?
Sorry for being such a newb!
:P

Old 14 September 2004, 03:11   #4
Akira

Yes, but that's because you are NOT using WHDload installs of them

Those games through WHDLoad should have NO gfx corruption.
Old 14 September 2004, 03:25   #5
Lusted_RICE

I have installed all those games by their WHDLoad file. There isn't any other ways of installing them, except maybe JST. E.g. Rick dangerous 2 intro, rick's graph is a bit distorted, SWIV/Turrican 2/Myth/Deliverance: glitched graphic parts throughout game, but when I played them with OCS/ECS config they ran fine (using 68020/Match A500 speed setting) through AIAB. AIAB runs awfully slowly though in 68020 and sometimes just freezes in the desktop.
My comp is AMD Athlon XP 1500Mhz/Radeon 9800 pro. But I think it suffices for WINUAE, right?

Old 14 September 2004, 03:28   #6
Akira

Your computer is not to blame. I'd like to see what is wrong here, might have to try some of these but I recall using them and working fine in my souped up config.

Which WinUAE version are you using, btw? I'm not much into emulation, but they should run fine in a real amiga i suppose.
Old 14 September 2004, 03:42   #7
Lusted_RICE

The latest one 0.9.91 I think it's called. Maybe AIAB's fault? I mean it hasn't been updated since 2002, but seems to work fine within the A1200 config. Sometimes though, while going super fast at the beginning after opening some drawers and windows it seems to slow down a lot. I have to press F12 and just press OK and speed is up again etc. etc.
What might be wrong about that?

Old 14 September 2004, 04:24   #8
Hillsy_

You are right, their is some graphical corruption with some games, SWIV is a good example....Rick Dangerous 1 & 2 yes!! To get these games to work make sure you disable the cache (JIT) & the FPU and the graphical corruption will disappear for these games!! Loading takes alittle longer to load Workbench & the game, but your reward is that the games works!!

Respect to WHDLoad

I have also experienced this with those particular games. Make sure you also set the display to FULL ECS, or OCS.

If you have problems with any games with 0.9.91 then try an earlier version. I found Rainbow Islands didn't work at all on the 0.8.2.6....if I remember correctly...but works on the 0.8.2.5 release...

Anyway, do the above and the games will work fine!! Trust me, I've loaded enough games through WHDLoad.

Enjoy!!

- Hillsy.

PS: I use Amiga Forever Version 6.0

NOTE: Specs.....

68020 NO FPU, NO Cache(JIT)....Works fine!!

Having Cache on can also give you the problems of games speeding up and slowing down....an example is...let me think....GoldenAxe.

Hope this helps!! It's late....I'm sleepy..

Last edited by Hillsy_; 14 September 2004 at 04:48.
Old 14 September 2004, 04:34   #9
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
make sure you disable the cache (JIT) & the FPU and the graphical corruption will disappear for these games!!
So thisis an emulation fault, that's why I never noticed in my A1200?
Old 14 September 2004, 04:36   #10
oldpx

Not a fault but a problem with AIAB config.

Old 14 September 2004, 05:03   #11
Lusted_RICE

Hillsy you are right, setting JIT off and no FPU seems to work fine with OCS games. Speed at desktop is slow but games run smoothly!
Thanks

Old 14 September 2004, 05:47   #12
Akira

Try using Bloodwych's classic workbench instead of the cluttered, outdated AIAB!
Old 14 September 2004, 12:38   #13
Bloodwych

Thanks for the mention Akira.

This problem has been around for years and the fix, a non-JIT cpu, is slightly messed up in terms of speed settings. I've been pushing for a fix to the speed settings every six months or so, but hardly anyone seemed bothered as very few replied. I always found this surprising since it's an imortant compatibility option, but put it down to most using adfs for old games in WinUAE or sticking to their real A1200's.

Finally, the great Toni has come to aid us once more and will be implementing a fix in the next WinUAE.

He expects this might cause issues with certain sound drivers however.

Read Here
Old 14 September 2004, 14:32   #14
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusted_RICE
Hillsy you are right, setting JIT off and no FPU seems to work fine with OCS games. Speed at desktop is slow but games run smoothly!
Thanks
Theres a solution: Recent WinUAEs include a Amiga-side Tool "uae-configuration" which allows changing configuration from Commandline. Put that tool in your Workbenchs C: Folder and modify your S:WHDLoad.prefs File to use ExecuteStartup and ExecuteCleanup.

So you automatically get JIT in WB and non-JIT in Games

Code:
;
; global configuration file for WHDLoad
; searched as "S:whdload.prefs"
;
; CLI-Arguments and ToolTypes will overwrite these !
;

ButtonWait       ;wait for button pressed (slave must support this)
;ChipNoCache         ;disable cachebility of Chip-Memory
;CoreDumpPath=T:     ;path for coredump files
;DebugKey=$5b        ;rawkey code to quit with coredump (debug)
ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cachesize 0  ;command to execute on WHDLoad startup
ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cachesize 8192   ;command to execute on WHDLoad exit
;Expert           ;selects expert mode
;FreezeKey=$5d       ;rawkey code to enter HrtMon/TK
MMU           ;use MMU (for 68030)
NoReq
;NoAutoVec        ;ignore unwanted autovector interrupts
NoFilter         ;disable audio filter
;NoFlushMem       ;do not flush memory
;NoWriteCache        ;disable the disk write cache
QuitKey=$5d         ;rawkey code to quit
;ReadDelay=150       ;wait after reading from disk (1/50 seconds)
;RestartKey=$5c         ;rawkey code to restart
;ShowRegs=SYS:Utilities/MuchMore W WL=80 WT=80 WW=582 WH=700   ;command for Show Regs
SplashDelay=0       ;time to display splash window (1/50 seconds)
;WriteDelay=150         ;wait after saving something to disk (1/50 seconds)