English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 September 2001, 07:44   #41
Drake1009

Now that looks like a playable platform game. Really playable.

The keys made me think of another platformer which I liked a lot on my C64 (Probably the one there I spent most time on and it was also on other systems). The game "montezumas revenge". Classic simple platform game, but darn I spent a lot of time on that game. And I don't mean the PC 3D version which sucked.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 September 2001, 08:13   #42
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, Castle & Castle EX resembles a lot of Montezuma's Revenge. But it's 10 times bigger, much more playable, and more puzzle oriented (while still has action on it)

Like I said, those games are 2 of the most fantastic games EVER done in ANY system.

Should I post them here? Both games zipped are probably smaller than that pic I've posted.

@Akira

Collect'em up is a much better name than the one I gave. Cool, I call them like that for now on

@Uukrul

Yeah! Treasure of Usas!! Isn't the music of this game lovely?

BTW, the game isn't always that "yellow", it's just that I only took shots from the 1st level

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:52.
Old 26 September 2001, 08:53   #43
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

Thx for the Mail, I havenīt checked my EBox yet, but as soon as I get home from work, I will

Anyway, that Image reminds me of another great platformer on CPC, which I have forgotten completely, itīs called BOOTY and you were walking around in some kind of Pirate Ship, trying to get as many treasures as possible. Do anyone remember that one ? I used to have it on tape some years back but I donīt think it got released on disk that time ...... hmmm, think I have a search for it l8r then
Old 26 September 2001, 09:08   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I know this is pretty stupid, but I couldn't find your e-mail adress ! When I click to send yah an e-mail, EAB sends me to a mail form, where it seems I can't send you an e-mail

and I looked, and looked, and didn't find your e-mail adress anywhere

Am I blind or something??

Anyway, I'm posting the game here then. both games zipped are just 45 Kb big..

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:52.
Old 26 September 2001, 09:17   #45
RetroMan

Uhm, dunno but thx for the games anyway I will play them as soon as I get home today, hmmmm maybe I should go right away
Old 26 September 2001, 09:49   #46
RetroMan

Btw. I found BOOTY on CPC :

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:53.
Old 26 September 2001, 10:47   #47
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Seems to be good, but very action oriented, no?.. I need to get a CPC emulator...

The castle is VERY puzzle oriented, the most nasty puzzles ever are in this game.
And did I say the game is HUGE? Playing with a hacked version with 255 lives, The Castle takes about 8-10 hours to be finished, The Castle Ex takes about 20-24 hours to be finished.

Take a look at the map in the top of the screen. Each blue square is a room, you have 100 rooms to visit, you need to trough all them to reach you objective (Find the 2 birds that give you the red keys to open the last door to the princess room, and save her), and most times you'll need to go through the same room many times. (The first screen, for example, it's shown in the pic. You first exit it from the right, go up in the other screen, then go left, go down and fall in the upper part of that screen. You get the map, the green key, exit to the right again, and enter this screen, but now trough that green door (cause you have the green key). HOURS laters, you'll get an elevator that will send you AGAIN back to this screen (And makes you weep "AAHH, I am back to the beggining), but now there'll be another place close here that'll be open....)

A Magazine here took 6 editions (6 pages each) to publish the whole solution of the game (And they didn't even cover EVERY screen).

I think I am overhyping this game too much, I'll stop this now
But it's true, there's nothing like this game in any other system.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:46   #48
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Seems to be good, but very action oriented, no?.. I need to get a CPC emulator...
Well, it IS indeed action oriented, you have to find the optimal way, by collecting the key for the doors, but you can only carry one key at a time btw. hereīs the description, and even if you cannot jump, it IS a Platformer :
TITLE: BOOTY
COMPANY: FIREBIRD
YEAR: 1986
LANGUAGE: English
TYPE: Arcade game
SUBTYPE: Platforms
TITLE SCREEN:No
CHEAT MODE: No
PROTECTED: No
PROBLEMS: No

If you want to get a CPC Emu, be sure to test out WinApe32, IMHO itīs the best
Old 26 September 2001, 12:57   #49
Drake1009

100 rooms? That somehow reminds me of Gogo the ghost on the C64 (Our first C64 game, got it when buying the thing as well as Park patrol). That had 100 rooms, but it was far from long time to play because you could find shortcuts and everything. I managed to complete it once wiht The final cartridge removing collisions. Still took a lot of time because there were traps leading you to screens you couldn't exit again. But you only rarely had to go back (if you could).

Oh how I long to play Gogo the ghost and park patrol again... maybe this should've gone in the games you wish... thread instead. Oh well it's slightly related to this what with the 100 rooms and such.
Old 26 September 2001, 16:40   #50
Tim Janssen

Smile Fab platformers

Let me see what my favourite platformgames are:
1. Turrican 1 (C64): No doubt about it, my all-time favourite game happens to be a platform game. It was first love when I saw this game on C64 and 11 years after I still love to play it.
2. Fast Eddie (Vic20): This little nifty game by Sirius software is more a dodge'em up. Collect some goodies, avoid baddies and you will progress to the next level. Great fun!
3. Rainbow Islands (Amiga): I have a soft spot for cute games and this is the best of them. The shooting rainbows is the best invention since the powerpil in Pacman.
4. Rayman 1 (PC): A complex platform game with some really original twists. Great parallax bacjkgrounds, too.
5. Giana Sisters (Amiga): Everyone says this is a Mario rip-off but since I have NEVER played a Mario-Luigi game, this is my favourite game.
Old 26 September 2001, 16:48   #51
Drake1009

To quote Tim : 2. Fast Eddie (Vic20): This little nifty game by Sirius software is more a dodge'em up. Collect some goodies, avoid baddies and you will progress to the next level. Great fun!
3. Rainbow Islands (Amiga): I have a soft spot for cute games and this is the best of them. The shooting rainbows is the best invention since the powerpil in Pacman.
4. Rayman 1 (PC): A complex platform game with some really original twists. Great parallax bacjkgrounds, too.
5. Giana Sisters (Amiga): Everyone says this is a Mario rip-off but since I have NEVER played a Mario-Luigi game, this is my favourite game.

If Fast eddie is the game I think it is then yes that's a quite nice game, spent a long time on it too. I'm almost certain there's an Amiga version of that game which only updated the graphics and otherwise stayed the same.

As for Rainbow Islands. I really like that game. Why must it crash every time I attempt to play it? I get a red screen and then the power led starts to flash. From all the times I've tried in vain to play it (On my A1200 and on emulation) it seems to be when I fall down.

Rayman was a great platformer, Rayman 2 was just bad I think.

Giana sisters is indeed much like Super Mario games. It's incredible though. Wasn't the big N forcing the game off the market rather quickly because they thought it resembled a bit too much? Still a lot of people know the game because it's such a classic. And I like Giana better than Mario. You con't have to worry about your height in Giana, and somehow the gravity of movement seems more realistic.
Old 26 September 2001, 19:48   #52
Uukrul

Abu Simbel Profanation

I forgot CPC version of Abu Simbel Profanation. This is the hardest game I've finished and the true precursor of Rick Dangerous games (RD 1 & 2 are a pice of cake compared with this one)

It was programmed by the spanish company Dinamic (Army Moves, Navy Moves, After the War, Phantis, etc). BTW yesterday, this spanish games company died after 15 years of life

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:53.

Old 26 September 2001, 19:50   #53
Akira

Oh yes I played Castles! great game! btw, Montezuma is awesome, I hated the GBC remake though

Shatterhand, get CAprice. It's the best CPC emulator.
Old 26 September 2001, 23:08   #54
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Platformers all suck but if I'm forced to choose one I'd say Mario 64, love that crazy plumber
Old 27 September 2001, 02:53   #55
birdy-scc
Banned

blank
Old 27 September 2001, 04:20   #56
Amigaboy

Birdy: I think you might be talking about Karateka

Old 27 September 2001, 04:48   #57
birdy-scc
Banned

Nope, it definitely wasn't Karateka. It's layout was a *bit* like Bruce Lee, but the sprite animation was some of the best I've seen on the 64.

I remember there was a bit where you try to stop a wall closing in on you and then you get totally splatted - niiiiice.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't released in the UK.
Old 27 September 2001, 07:23   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You have FINISHED Profanation? I HATE that game, it's just too damn hard, the timing needed to get past some sections is just ridiculous
And there's also the "jump bug", enter in a screen jumping, and if you fall in a enemy, you get in an infinite loop, always falling in the enemy 'til you lose all lives..

There's another game called "Camelot Warriors", also by Dinamic, that plays much like Profanation... if you liked Profanation, you may like Camelot Warriors

btw. what you mean with "Dinamic died yesterday" ? Were they still around?

(If you wondering, yes, the frog in the underwater screen is the main hero, there are many sections you need to morph into other creatures, that's the 1st one of them)

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:54.
Old 27 September 2001, 19:28   #59
Akira

Quote:

Yes, they changed names to Dinamic Multimedia, and kept churning out that "PC Futbol" shite! Did they die already? Well they earned it!

BTW, Shatterhand, that game looks like a Speccy game! arse-o-rama!
Old 27 September 2001, 23:16   #60
Uukrul

Quote:
You have FINISHED Profanation? I HATE that game, it's just too damn hard.
I only could finished it one time on my beloved (and dead) CPC 464, after many many tries.

There is a Windows 95 remake if you want it I can post.

Quote:
There's another game called "Camelot Warriors", also by Dinamic, that plays much like Profanation... if you liked Profanation, you may like Camelot Warriors
I finished it and Army Moves, Navy Moves, Game Over, Phantis, Nonamed, After the War, Meganova, Dustin, .....

Dinamic did the best CPC games by far.

Quote:
The culprit was the first spanish online game "La Prision". Here, internet providers suck, so online playing is a nightmare.

AdSense AdSense