English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 September 2001, 06:20   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Retroman made a pretty good list there. All the games he listed are really good (Magician Lord, huh? Thought only I knew this one )

My fav Jump 'n' run games for Amiga probably are Ruff 'n' Tumble, Benefactor, Lost Vikings, Fury of the Furries, Arabian Nights, Soccer Kid, Parasol Stars and the Turrican series.

Generally speaking: Gunstar Heroes (Mega-Drive), Alien Soldier (Mega-Drive), Contra Hard Corps (Mega-Drive), Out To Lunch (SNES.. I know there's an AGA version, but I never played it), Cybernator (Snes), Yoshi's Island (Snes), Bubble Bobble (Arcade), Rainbow Islands (Arcade), Rodland (Arcade), Treasure of Usas (Msx)

@retroman

I don't want to make this a MSX thread like we did with the shmups thread, but... Jet Set Willy 2, man?? Not that's not good, but.. it's a damn ZX Spectrum port!!!
the MSX-1 has 3 excellent plataform games by Casio, named Haunted Boys, Cat Adventure and Ninja, there's also Magical Kid Wiz (conversion of the arcade game WIZ), Thexder, and obviously, the Konami ones (The Goonies, King's Valley 1, 2 & plus, Magical tree, Athletic Land...).
For MSX 2, take a look at Treasure of Usas, as it's one of my fav plataforms game ever, and also Vampire Killer (the MSX version of Castlevania), Quinpl, Firehawk: Thexder 2 and Psychic World.

Ok, that's enough... if you want to discuss more about MSX plataform games, let's go to the MSX thread again
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 September 2001, 06:48   #22
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Favourite platformers

So many to pick from but here's my favourites:

Rainbow Islands - Simply the greatest arcade style platformer ever!
Superfrog - Best "massive" platformer. Often I get bored with huge levels and can't be bothered finding the exit but I don't find this in Superfrog at all.
Giana Sisters - Surely the game most people say "does it have one or 2 N's in the name?" Perfect on the C64, alright on the Amiga.
Rodland - Perfectly cute platformer by the SWIV programmer.
Ghosts'n'Goblins - Perfect difficulty level on C64. Superb gfx on the Amiga version but has an annoying delay every few seconds where it just locks up for a while.
Creatures - Super on the C64, the Amiga version is naff.
Turrican 2 - Such an awesome game, perfect graphics, music, playability and yet some people dislike it. They must be mad...

Also good are Zool 2 (much better than Zool), Super Methane Bros and of course Bombjack (arcade only, Amiga version is utter shite). (Dunno if Gryzor counts as a platformer, one of my favourite C64 run/jump/kill-em-ups).
Old 24 September 2001, 07:10   #23
Amigaboy

Mayhem In Monsterland!!!!! (I knew I'd forget this one) This is my absolute favourite!

Old 24 September 2001, 19:30   #24
Akira

OK, here's me list. I'm going for the 100% platformers, no platform shooters like Turrican or the like. And only the ones I haev played, preferrably on the real thing:

Master System: Sonic
Game Gear: GG Shinobi
Genesis/Megadrive: Sonic 2 (this is, IMO, the BEST platformer, EVER)
Saturn: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
NES: Kirby's Dreamland
SNES: Yoshi's Island
GB: Kirby's Dreamland 2
GBC: Super Mario Bros DX
GBA: Warioland 4
N64: Silhouette Mirage (N64s only 2D platformer?)
C64: Giana Sisters
Amiga: Mr. Nutz
Amstrad CPC: Nebulus
MSX: (hey! Shatterhand! gimme some platformers, I dont want to put Thexder here! )
Spectrum: Manic Miner
NeoGeo Pocket Color: Sonic Pocket Adventure
Lynx: Shadow of the Beast (agree with Amigaboy here, the best version there is!)
Arcade:Pspi & Bibis (is this a platformer?)

Hmm dunno what else to add... many systems I never played I suppose.
Old 24 September 2001, 19:33   #25
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Why did Nintendo threaten to sue over Great Giana Sisters being a rip-off yet years later allowed Addam's Family,(a Mario-esque clone), by Ocean??
Addam's Family was like a run of the mill platformer, while Giana was a complete SuperMario ripoff, thats why they took it off. If you swapped GIana's sprite with MArio, you had Super Mario on the Amiga
Old 24 September 2001, 20:02   #26
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
N64: Silhouette Mirage (N64s only 2D platformer?)
Wrong, you forgot the excellent N64 Yoshy Island !
Old 24 September 2001, 21:05   #27
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Shinobi is not a platformer, neither is Rygar. Nor is Castlevania. All are incredible games. To me, platformers, easily my least favourite genre, are jump and run cutsey stuff. Many were decent games.
Most were bland garbage. Eye candy. But some really were great. Morph on Amiga is superb..well drafted and thought up.
Nice twist, the morphing.
Genesis? Sonic was tops, no doubt. NES? All the Dizzy games, by Codemasters.
My all time favourite , though, is Leander. Pure and simple, it is magic.
Old 24 September 2001, 23:35   #28
Tommo

My list

My list of platformers -

Amiga - Leander
BBC - Strykers Run : Codename Droid
PC - Jazz Jackrabbit (the original, the sequel sucked)
SNES - Super Metroid
Speccy - Jet Set Willy

Old 25 September 2001, 00:39   #29
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Super Metroid is NOT a platformer!!!!!!
Old 25 September 2001, 00:42   #30
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by fredtgreat
Super Metroid is NOT a platformer!!!!!!
Well, for some it is, for some not, for me Turrican is also an Platformer and so is Super Metroid (and good ones as well ) They also go by the name Platform-Shooters, so what ??

Last edited by RetroMan; 25 September 2001 at 00:49.
Old 25 September 2001, 01:17   #31
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs up

No Retroman but yes fred! I do wish I set out at the beginning what a true platformer is! Turrican, Super Metroid, Contra and the like are not true platform games really. I wouldn't say Pepis & Bibis was either really. But if you want to include them peeps feel free.
Old 25 September 2001, 01:33   #32
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Its comlicated. Is Dylan Dog a platformer? is Wings a flight sim? Is ShadowLands a strategy or RPG game? There are many games that fall into the grey line, Retroman. I guess to each his own. But..on a side note..Super Metroid is one of the greatest games of all time. Period
Bombjack, You have made a good point, you whore. I consider those games to be "Kill 'em All Combat"..divided into
1.FP Shooters,such as Doom,
2.Beat em Ups, such as Streets of Rage,
3.Assault Weapons and Robots, such as Alien Breed (DROOOL) 4.and SwordPlay, such as Sword of Sodan
On yet another semi related touch..I fuggin LOVE Megaman/Rockman series..untouchable series wise. Thats not a platformer, of course....

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 25 September 2001 at 21:25.
Old 25 September 2001, 01:40   #33
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK

Wrong, you forgot the excellent N64 Yoshy Island !
I'd scratch excellent and say I forgot that Yoshi's Story is the other 2D platformer for the N64 That game blows...

Fred, GG Shinobi is a platformer, and so is Megaman.. I dont know what you are smoking Metroid is not, though. Teh difference between GG Shinobi and Leander is minimal, tending to non-existent.

This is the kind of nitpicking I have to do to include games or not at Shmups. It's bloody hard to put'em apart! Anyway, most of the games I included on my list are 'true' platformers. What would you consider Ruff n TUmble to be? Id say its in teh same league as Turrican, because you jump n shoot. But it's cute, so where do you put it, fred?
Old 25 September 2001, 01:43   #34
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

@fred

I know I am a whore! I get well paid and get to enjoy my work!

I think Bubble Bobble Memories and Symphonies are enjoyable platformers, even though they are simple rehashes of the original.

New Zealand Story was always one of my favourites on the Amiga and the arcade.
Old 25 September 2001, 06:52   #35
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

IMO, Platformers all games where you control someone who walks and jumps, in a sideway point of view.

I think platformers games can be divided in 5 main groups:

the Jump 'n' Run, like Mario, Sonic, Giana Sisters, Zool or Soccer Kid
The Shmups one: Turrican, Ruff 'n' Tumle, Contra, Alien Soldier or Gunstar Heroes
The Arcade Adventure ones: Flashback, Another World, Super Metroid or Gods
The Puzzle ones: Benefactor, Fury of the Furries, Lost Vikings
The "Kill everyone in the Screen": Bubble Bobble, Parasol Stars, Rodland, Snow Bros, The Fairyland Story.

And many times, a game can fit in 2 or more categories.
Out to Lunch, for example, fits in the 1st and the last category, an MSX game called "The Castle" fits in the 1st, the 3rd and the 4th category.

@ Akira
here I am, talking about the MSX again.
I've made a good list of platform games in a few posts above... just remember me, and I'll send you a few good ones. I am pretty sure I sent you Treasure of Usas, but I bet you want MSX 1 games now...
I also sent you The Castle and Castle Excellent. I know those games don't look impressive, but play them for a little while, they are two of the most fantastic, superb, marvellous games ever done in any system.. they are THAT good really, believe me.
Old 25 September 2001, 09:24   #36
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

Could you perhaps send me CASTLE and CASTLE EXCELENT too please ?

And btw. no matter what everone calls it, Shmups-Platformer or Platform-Shooters, they ARE Platformers !!!
Old 25 September 2001, 17:57   #37
Tommo

Super Metroid not a platformer?

What is it then?

Old 26 September 2001, 00:09   #38
Uukrul

SNES - Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (a lot better than the original arcade)

AMIGA - Turrican III (you can jump with the second button of the joypad so is more playable than I and II - I'll soon build an adaptor for use second button of the pad as up direction, in theory is easy)

MSX - Treasure of USAS (I love this one)

CPC - Nebulus (the Amiga version I have suffers a lot of slowdowns on a real Miggy, is this normal?)

Old 26 September 2001, 00:16   #39
Akira

Re: Super Metroid not a platformer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommo
What is it then?
Metroid is an RPG mixed up with a platformer

Shatterhand, your genre "Kill everyone in the screen", I call "collect'em up" or "fruit'em up" massive fruit colelctive going on!
Old 26 September 2001, 07:41   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

@ Retroman

A Zip file with both Castle & Castle EX will be in your e-mail later

Like I said, the game seems to be shit when you 1st play it, but give it some time, and you'll be hooked

BTW, that's a game I STRONGLY recommend to play it in emulators. To save in a real MSX, you'll need to use tape, and everytime you save, you LOSE A LIFE.

At least in emulators you can use save-states, and believe, you'll need it...

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:51.
AdSense AdSense