English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 August 2004, 20:14   #1
Bloodwych

Anticlick come with Workbench 3.0?

Can someone do me a quick favour and check if their WB 3.0 disks have "Anticlick" in the C directory and s/startup-sequence files?

I know WB 3.1 came with it, but I'm not sure about 3.0 and below.

My current Workbench 3.0 disks have it included, but I think I edited them myself. Need to know if it came as standard.

Thanks.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 August 2004, 20:18   #2
thomas

You ware wrong. Anticlick is not part of any Workbench. Neither 3.1 nor 3.0 nor any other version.
Old 23 August 2004, 20:22   #3
Bloodwych

Hmmm. I remember editing workbench 3.0 myself after seeing the utility on 3.1 disks. Someone must have added it to 3.1 before I managed to get hold of the adfs.

Thanks Thomas.
Old 23 August 2004, 21:31   #4
oldpx

I never heard of it myself.

Old 24 August 2004, 11:35   #5
Marcuz
Wurk???

i second that, it wasn't on WB 3.0
Old 24 August 2004, 16:00   #6
onkelarie

I remember placing a little app in the startup-sequence back in the old days, eliminating the diskdrive clicks when no disk was inserted. I donīt remember that little tool being shipped with any WB distribution.... You might wanna search on Back2the roots, the Fish disks for example. Or maybe Aminet?

edit: ok, found it

http://www.aminet.net/disk/misc/anticlick.lha

hm, ok, and now I noticed you didnīt need this lilī app, you were just wondering if it was on any distro
Old 25 August 2004, 07:10   #7
EmuChicken

...thanks - I'm gonna use it :-)

wanted this proggie for a while- lol! why didnt they include this with workbench anyways? didnt they realise that HD users will get damn annoyed with the click.. click ... click?
Old 25 August 2004, 09:49   #8
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
why didnt they include this with workbench anyways? didnt they realise that HD users will get damn annoyed with the click.. click ... click?
They only added the clicking thing in the first place when they realised that the original system they had implemented (switching between track 0 and 79 instead of 0 and 1, or something, which was almost silent) knackered some of the original A1000 floppy drives. It wouldn't make sense to then include a utility with Workbench that would achieve the same thing, as they'd only end up with hundreds of irate support calls.
Old 27 August 2004, 03:44   #9
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
They only added the clicking thing in the first place when they realised that the original system they had implemented (switching between track 0 and 79 instead of 0 and 1, or something, which was almost silent) knackered some of the original A1000 floppy drives.
Track -1, actually.

Quote:
Andy Finkel explains why the Amiga floppy disk drive has an annoying clicking sound:

The story actually is as follows:

When the A1000 came out, we wanted to be able to automatically detect disk insertion. So Neil Katin came up with the bright idea which solves the usual problem of disk detection by stepping the drive head, which resets the disk inserted latch. This, allows us to automatically detect the insertion of a disk, or the removal of a disk, because the latch is reset.

He decided to make it step from track 0 to track 1 and back. This produced a clicking noise. OK, that was 1.0. For 1.2, we discovered that we could reset the latch by stepping from track 0 to track -1. Because all drives have a 'track limit' sensor, no actual head movement would occur. Thus, no click. Sounds good, right ? Well, unfortunately, it seems the drive mechanism vendors noticed that the track limit sensor was unused on the Amiga. So, they removed it. You'll find that many 3rd party external drives (and some A1010s) don't have this sensor. You know what happens when you seek from track 0 to track -1 on a drive without the limit sensor ? Right. The drive head bangs against the stop, which not only is louder than the original click, but is actually damaging the alignment of the drive itself.

And that's the story. If your drive clicks louder when you use a 'Noclick' program, stop using it. You are hurting your drive. (BTW, the early A1000 driver had the track limit sensor. Those were premium drives, in fact. Possibly your A1000 had its drive replaced at some later time).

(And the drives don't click if you have a disk in the drive, whether or not you run a NoClick program)
AdSense AdSense