English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you use WHDLoad? If not, why?
Yes - I've registered 109 50.70%
Yes - but I haven't registered 51 23.72%
No - It's too expensive 6 2.79%
No - Unavailability of the original/images files is a problem 7 3.26%
No - I only have a standard A500 0 0%
No - I prefer ADFs 16 7.44%
No - other reason 19 8.84%
What is WHDLoad? 7 3.26%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 October 2001, 19:22   #21
Amigaboy

On JST, there was an option HDLOAD . There was also LOWMEM. You can try those on WHDLoad. No idea if it'll work though

AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 October 2001, 19:32   #22
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I think that by default Preload is off, so you have to use the Preload tooltype to activate it.
Old 04 October 2001, 19:55   #23
Uukrul

Yeah, you're right.

I had problems installing WHDLoad so I just copied the executable in the game dir and without the prefs file Preload is activated by default.

Many thanks.

Old 04 October 2001, 19:58   #24
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

You should put WHDLoad into your C directory of Workbench.
Old 04 October 2001, 20:14   #25
Akira

Re: Brian the Lion

Hey, Brian has its own HD install util, which works a treat. No need to install it with WHDLOAD!
Old 04 October 2001, 20:35   #26
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'll take a WHDLoad version with a proper quitkey and original with protection removed anyday! Keep your pirate crack!
Old 04 October 2001, 22:11   #27
Akira

Oh well you got me there Mr. CEO of the EAB
Old 12 October 2001, 06:49   #28
Traxx Amiga EP

Big grin :)

only still

Old 12 October 2001, 07:03   #29
birdy-scc
Banned

Eek

I smell A RAT!
Old 12 October 2001, 11:34   #30
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
I'll take a WHDLoad version with a proper quitkey ......
Well, I prefer A+A+CTRL
Old 16 October 2001, 01:42   #31
Korodny
Zone Friend

I love WHDLoad, for all the reasons you stated above.

But many of the WHDLoad installed games I get from the net do have
problems. Sometimes the game can't find a certain file (no, none of the
stuff related to WHDLoad's OS emulation, I'm no newbie) , sometimes it
crashes and I can reproduce that crash etc.

Are other people experiencing similar problems ?
Old 16 October 2001, 02:35   #32
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uukrul
I had problems installing WHDLoad so I just copied the executable in the game dir and without the prefs file Preload is activated by default.
I am curious. What part of the compilcated install process which involves pressing NEXT a few times did you find too difficult? Accept the defaults, hit Next. Nothing could be easier.

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
I love WHDLoad, for all the reasons you stated above.

But many of the WHDLoad installed games I get from the net do have problems. Sometimes the game can't find a certain file (no, none of the stuff related to WHDLoad's OS emulation, I'm no newbie) , sometimes it crashes and I can reproduce that crash etc.

Are other people experiencing similar problems ?
You haven't really given enough details - is it one game in particular? Is it an original or a cracked copy you are using? If a game can't find a file you probably have a crack or an unsupported original. Contact the author rather than complaining here. Some examples of the games you have tried that are not working would also help - hopefully none of my patches

PS: If your collection of WHDLoad titles is from spooky's site then there is a fair chance they are cracked games. Either the install author tries to support cracked versions if possible or they CRC the original and abort the game if it's found to be a different version.
Old 16 October 2001, 02:45   #33
Uukrul

Quote:
What part of the compilcated install process which involves pressing NEXT a few times did you find too difficult?

I don't know why but the workbench give me an error when I execute the install.

I'm stupid but at least I can press a button two times if my mama guides me.

Old 16 October 2001, 03:06   #34
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Codetapper

> You haven't really given enough details - is it one game in particular?
> Is it an original or a cracked copy you are using?

You completely misunderstood me ;-) I was not talking about downloading
installs and do the HD version myself. I was talking about downloading
completed installs (e.g. from Spokyz site).

> If a game can't find a file you probably have a crack or an unsupported
> original. Contact the author rather than complaining here.

I was suspecting that the guy who provides the *complete HD version*
fails to do a proper job, not the author of the installer.

> Some examples of the games you have tried that are not working would
> also help - hopefully none of my patches

- Hollywood Poker Pro can't find one or two pictures. Often the picture
display is "corrupt", returning to the main menu is aborted with a
"stack too low" warning
- Interphase crashes (after max. 60 secs) - and I tried three different
installs of that one
- The bonus games in Nebulus 2 do not end. They just go on and on and on...

Again: I do not blame the authors of these installs. I'd rather like to
know if other people have similar problems with "preinstalled" games.

> PS: If your collection of WHDLoad titles is from spooky's site then
> there is a fair chance they are cracked games.

That's what I'm talking about I just wanted to know if somebody has
similar experiences. If chances are that every second game I'll download
somewhere has the same faults, I might start to try doing the installs
on my own (with cracked versions which is obviously a game of chance).

> Either the install author tries to support cracked versions if possible
> or they CRC the original and abort the game if it's found to be a
> different version.

Well, my personal experience is that most installs I came across are
done for originals only ?
Old 20 October 2001, 12:38   #35
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Unfortunately many (up to half) of these WHDLoad/JST games do not work on my OS3.9 WinUAE system, it's a shame. It would be good if more UAE compatibility testing could be done on these games, as they should not crash if correctly patched. (Or perhaps it is partly due to bugs in the emulator, but these can presumably be worked around by using different instructions, etc.?)

I can provide a list of what works and what doesn't if that would be helpful to anyone...
Old 21 October 2001, 13:41   #36
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

WHD installs are only designed to work on real Amigas and if they work on real Amigas then it is the fault of the emulator if the WHD games do not work!

There is no point in writing WHD installs to work around emulator bugs which could be fixed in the next release of the emulator. It is better if the WHD patchers spend time fixing bugs in the games, removing protection, redirecting data access to the hard disk and providing better compatibility with modern Amigas.

WHDLoad is an Amiga project, not an emulator one, and as such I have no real problems with WHD games on a real Amiga. Also, I have much better emulator compatibility with WHD installs than with ADFs.

If your WHD games crash, then it is most likely problems with the emulator or you are using cracked games instead of originals.

Remember, don't blame the chicken if your KFC burger doesn't taste right!
Old 23 October 2001, 00:51   #37
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, I do see your point. Still, the fact that something happens to work on a real Amiga does not necessarily mean that it is 100% OS-legal.

My point was that when people write new installs, or upgrade existing installs, they should test these under WinUAE. I am willing to do this testing on their behalf.

In regard to 'cracked' versions, it would be good if installers were made which do work with the cracked versions. Because such versions are much more common than the vanilla originals.

For example, I have quite a few original games which I purchased, but since my Amiga has died, I can't transfer these. So I am forced to rely on what I can download.

Also some games seem to want the registered WHDLoad to work, I have this, and they still don't work! they still say they need registered WHDLoad! This is a bug in WHDLoad?
Old 23 October 2001, 03:04   #38
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

WHDLoad questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
Yes, I do see your point. Still, the fact that something happens to work on a real Amiga does not necessarily mean that it is 100% OS-legal.

My point was that when people write new installs, or upgrade existing installs, they should test these under WinUAE. I am willing to do this testing on their behalf.
I always test my installs under WinUAE or Fellow, but if it doesn't work what am I supposed to do? I sometimes see if it's an easy fix but both WinUAE and Fellow have the most useless debugging information. No useful "dump memory" option, no "skip PC to address $xxxxx", no "view mem at $xxxxx" etc. Usually the emulators get stuck in a loop waiting for some variable to change which doesn't happen on the Amiga. Do you expect me to recode the emulator for you or something?

Quote:
In regard to 'cracked' versions, it would be good if installers were made which do work with the cracked versions. Because such versions are much more common than the vanilla originals.
Many of my ones do, but *only* if they are clean cracks. Some groups (no names!) decide to take a nice clean original and hack the game to bits, move code, put trainer code over memory, address crunch it etc. It's just not worth it.

I will give N.O.M.A.D's Yogi's Great Escape as one of the most badly cracked bugged piece of crap cracks I have EVER seen. He is usually so good at this lark but he must have been completely pissed when he butchered that game.

Anyone have the original so I can fix it properly?

Quote:
For example, I have quite a few original games which I purchased, but since my Amiga has died, I can't transfer these. So I am forced to rely on what I can download.
Find a friend with an Amiga and get them to image them for you. You could also post a list of what you have (a legitimate list please, not a Marz Attakz style 10 page request of warez)...

Quote:
Also some games seem to want the registered WHDLoad to work, I have this, and they still don't work! they still say they need registered WHDLoad! This is a bug in WHDLoad?
Put the key in S: or the directory where WHDLoad is (eg. C: dir) and it will find it. I suspect the key you have is old and/or cracked. Which games have you tried which complain about needing a registered WHDLoad?
Old 23 October 2001, 08:33   #39
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Of course no one would expect you to fix WinUAE, I did not mean to imply that you should. It is riddled with bugs of every variety :-(

I have the key in S: and L:, it's 888 bytes. F-29 Retaliator and Afterburner '89 are the games that don't accept it.
Old 23 October 2001, 15:49   #40
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I have made a (the?) WinUAE HD-Installed Games Compatibility List, and have uploaded it to the Amigan Software website. It's not exhaustive, it has info for a couple of hundred games at the present time.
AdSense AdSense