English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 August 2004, 15:59   #21
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
@Akira

ok, here's the post you were expecting...

I don't come here much anymore since the site went over to the new version as it's not IBrowse compatible anymore.

I have the Pre-release but havn't installed it as it's way to old compared to what I'm using

If you looking for reviews try www.amigaworld.net and www.intuitionbase.com, amigaworld is the official OS4 forum, sponsored by eyetech, and where hyperion post their news releases

As for OS4, think of 3.9 running 10 times faster, as responsive as ever with loads of new things to play with. I have been using my A1 with OS4 as my main machine since April. there's a few things still to be done, like JIT, serial/parallel drivers, floppy support. there's a few bugs to iron out, but nothing major.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 August 2004, 16:01   #22
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Cos we've got too much sense.
Perhaps.. or perhaps because of the attitude you're displaying now

(not having a go at you or anyone else, but I would think they prefer to hang with like-minded people, instead of people who label them as fanatics, as many people here do)
Old 03 August 2004, 16:03   #23
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin
I don't come here much anymore since the site went over to the new version as it's not IBrowse compatible anymore.
Hmm, that's pretty bad - an Amiga board that doesn't support one of the most important Amiga browsers. That pretty much explains the lack of posts from people who use the AmigaOS as their primary OS..
Old 03 August 2004, 16:29   #24
Akira

Quote:
reportijng to RCK now. You're not the first one complaining.
Quote:
If you looking for reviews try www.amigaworld.net and www.intuitionbase.com, amigaworld is the official OS4 forum, sponsored by eyetech, and where hyperion post their news releases
i really preferred the input from someone for here because I don't like to read through the words of amiga zealots that will hype everything to no end without being objective. I think any of the EAB users can give a fair view on the whole subject. Hence why I asked here
Old 03 August 2004, 18:34   #25
spoUP

yea. i aint here to often anymore either. but hey! I got the pre-rel. it rocks!
Old 03 August 2004, 21:59   #26
Akira

spot, i still got shtuff to send you. will contact someday, bloody work
Old 05 August 2004, 10:25   #27
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I think you said you had problems with crashes previously. I've only had minor problems using IBrowse 2.3 with EAB on A4000/060 running OS 3.9 (updated with BB2). Clicking the submit button for posts triggers a javascript requester here after a short delay. Clicking abort on the requester will submit posts. I don't think Voyager 3.2+ has this problem. EAB lacks a skin with all the Amiga browsers, though, which is mildly annoying but doesn't impair functionality as such. Try playing around with the javascript settings on IBrowse to get EAB working better or perhaps try Voyager or AWeb and see how they fare. PM me too for help if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Out of curiosity how many people here use OS 3.x made after Commodore went under (thats 3.5 and above)? And how many actualy have a PPC driven Amiga thats actualy used for anything?
I use OS 3.9 on my A4000s (A4000/060/Picasso II, A4000/060/604 150Mhz PPC/Voodoo 3) and would be loathe to go back to 3.1 or older. The 604 PPC A4000 is quite slick for graphics stuff (scanning, image processing etc.) compared to my A4000/060 and Celeron 800 work laptop. Quite important for me since I do all my HOL stuff (including data entry and scanned material) on my Amigas.

Hopefully Hyperion will honour their pledge to release OS 4 for classic Amigas using PPC cards, but that will be some time away if it ever does get released. I'll probably buy an AmigaOne and OS 4 in time when the price comes down a little and the OS has seen a final release, but I don't expect it to be cutting edge given that currently it's a platform for hobbyists (and will probably remain so). I don't agree with OS 4 being tied to the AmigaOne specifically, but that's a continuation of the unfortunate legacy that is Amiga. I wouldn't mind trying MorphOS on Pegasos either, but I haven't been able to see a demo of one here in Australia yet.
Old 05 August 2004, 15:10   #28
Severin

Quote:
Hopefully Hyperion will honour their pledge to release OS 4 for classic Amigas using PPC cards
I can tell you that as an OS4 beta tester, the classic versions are still being worked on, there are a small number of beta testers using classic/ppc miggies.

hmm... cutting edge... seems at the momemt to be 'bloat to buggery' so I know OS4 won't be cutting edge

FYI, the complete OS4 as on the pre-release is 48.73Mb (that's uncompressed), which makes XP seem a tad overweight
Old 05 August 2004, 15:23   #29
Severin

Quote:
I really preferred the input from someone for here because I don't like to read through the words of amiga zealots that will hype everything to no end without being objective. I think any of the EAB users can give a fair view on the whole subject. Hence why I asked here
It's actually a bit the other way round on AW.net, alot of peeps are happily playing with OS4 and not posting much, but there is a group of moaners who are having problems (usually hardware that worked with linux but doesn't with OS4, eg. CD/DVD drives which can bugger up the initial installtion), these peeps are very vocal. I've delt with a few that had the CD/DVD problem and they won't beleive me that removing their DVD drive will make it all work, or moving their CD drive to the secondary ide will cure problems until I've had to force them to do it (one bloke resisted for 3 weeks, then took his DVD drive out and came cringing back, grovelling all the way when his system 'magically' worked ).

AW.net does give a biased view, unfortunately as the whingers are so loud it tends to be a bit on the negative side
Old 05 August 2004, 23:00   #30
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
One of the good/bad things about the internet and computer equipment is that if you do a search on the net you will find the small percentage of people who have problems with a product bitching about it. If you don't know a product was sold in the millions you would think that because thousands of people complaining the product it is junk.
I have seen people call products that work 100% fine for me junk, and they only represent a few % of the users, but they are the most vocal.
Old 05 August 2004, 23:38   #31
Bloodwych

50MB uncompressed - that's very impressive. About the same as the full ClassicWB 3.0 packages! And there using stuff from years ago!

This OS is sounding better and better. If it's as accessible and as easy to manipulate as the old workbench was, I'd seriously consider setting a OS4 machine up on new hardware. Happy with WB 3 on Classic.

Another decisive factor for me will be it's ability to web surf, e-mail etc with major security benefits over similar tasks performed on mainstream windows. A cleverly integrated "Classic Amiga" emulator would also sway me.

I'll always keep a PC handy however; they're SOOOO cheap for all the power they offer it doesn't make sense not to have one hanging around.
Old 05 August 2004, 23:53   #32
Unknown_K

Why do people with newer PCs feel the need to be able to browse the web on an amiga (or other very old platform)? I could understand if it was your only computer, but everybody has a PC (or a Mac) at home.
Old 06 August 2004, 00:35   #33
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Another decisive factor for me will be it's ability to web surf, e-mail etc with major security benefits over similar tasks performed on mainstream windows. A cleverly integrated "Classic Amiga" emulator would also sway me.
This isn't necessarily good. Lack of threats, in this case doesn't prove amiga is safe but only ignored! I doubt whomever responsible of supporting the os, kmos or hyperion will be as successful as microsoft when it comes to fixing security holes and flaws if a serious threat appears.

Old 06 August 2004, 04:31   #34
Akira

I find old computers to be great news and mail clients, but not web browsers.

Once can setup a cute Mac Classic in a living room, with access to email, and it would be cool so everyone can check their mail.

Big problem with the webmails of today though :P
Old 06 August 2004, 10:12   #35
Bloodwych

Thatís why I said ďmainstreamĒ windows Burseg. I realise that windows has security issues because itís so widely used, but Iím simply outlining what this OS needs to achieve to win me over for main use. Perhaps OS4 can be more secure from the outset simply due to its design. Iím not a programmer, so I canít comment any more than that without talking out my arse.

Youíre right though, using it so early on for sensitive material surely will be a risk and no one can compete with Microsoft on many levels; that goes without saying. Doesnít mean we should ignore those who try.

UnknownK, I know that anything I say wonít change your perspective - this discussion has taken place before and people rarely change their minds. All I say is some of us like the experience of moving on to a fresh platform. Perhaps PCís and windows arenít the only OS I should ever use for the rest of my life. Iím board of using windows, not interested in Macs and willing to give another platform a try purely out of interest. If I can afford to do it, then why not?

A person only needs one car, but many own several. Logic isnít always the only factor. Humans are not always logical creatures; I can however appreciate your logical perspective.

As for keeping a PC, it follows on from what I said above. Cheap prices and its status as the standard in home computing is reason enough for me. Apart from my main PC, I only have a Classic Amiga, SNES and an old p233, so Iím hardly a collector, but I do like the idea of having a OS4 machine even if it turns out only to serve as a backup computer.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 06 August 2004 at 19:52. Reason: - just correcting what hardware I own!
Old 06 August 2004, 10:47   #36
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Iím not a programmer, so I canít comment any more than that without talking out my arse.
Likewise, I don't know shit

Old 06 August 2004, 14:22   #37
Inner

uhmm well I am one, AOS4 would be less secure from my point of view, because.. A) less man power working it, B) the man power that is working on it can aford to be a bit slack due to the userbase being small, C) It's new by default that makes the most enscure thing in the world, D) it hasn't had any hackers/crackers trying to mount if from behind and make it crash yet, there are lot more.

Old 06 August 2004, 19:26   #38
Bloodwych

Boy did I get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning! Just re-read that and it came across as a bit of a strong rant. Guess I just wanted to defend my position of considering OS4 because I know many don't see the point of using it over mainstream platforms.

Burseg and Inner, yeah there will be risk, but having a fairly unknown platform is also an increase in security in itself! I mean windows is never fully secure is it? Over its user lifespan it continuously has "critical" issues due to its popularity no matter how many people work on it.

Only the programmers can give us a true perspective on the security issue and how OS4 will cope. With being so compact and fueled with knowledge of the usual internet tricks and threats now in the open, perhaps they can create something fairly solid from the outset. Does it have a built in firewall? Don't know, but it won't be running ActiveX! Also another side of the coin is with loads less people attacking it, it might actually take longer to circumvent.

Blah, I'm saying no more on the security issues because, well - see Burseg's last comment! I'll end up having a PC and OS4 machine connected/networked to one broadband outlet anyway. I'm also tempted to look at MorphOS, but I'll have to go with one or the other.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 06 August 2004 at 19:40.
Old 09 August 2004, 01:12   #39
Severin

@unknown k

Quote:
Why do people with newer PCs feel the need to be able to browse the web on an amiga (or other very old platform)? I could understand if it was your only computer, but everybody has a PC (or a Mac) at home.
I recently tried this site on my mums Win ME /IE 5 setup, it was ferking painful, really slow and unresponsive, her machine isn't brilliant but is well above the reccommeneded setup for ME. IBrowse has it's limitations but it's bloody responsive, does the job, has no security holes. What more do I need? Before you all shout, Cascading shit streams is being done for V3, I just have to wait abit, but I'm used to that

I have 2 computers... An A4000/060 and an A1-XE G4, I know others who don't/won't have a M$ compatible machine.

oops, I lied, I have two mac's in the shed, iirc the best one is an 030/16mhz/1Mb ram beastie...
Old 09 August 2004, 01:55   #40
Unknown_K

Severin: Maybe your moms setup has problems, you didnt mention what machine she had either (could be real slow) or if she had dialup or broadband.
AdSense AdSense