English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 July 2004, 12:13   #1
Tolismlf

Syberia 2 PC ---> Amiga

Yesterday i was playing Syberia 2 demo. So after a crazy thought i started converting the images of the game to .Iff and using Deluxe Paint, they became fully usable with GRAC2. I think that converting that kind of games is an easy task for a small group of programmers.
Take a look at the screenshot. I was adding areas that the character (Kate) can move.
This is a 320x256,32 colour screen. So theoritically this can be used even on an A500!
The graphics are pretty much the same with the original if you use 640x512,256 colours.

Last edited by Tolismlf; 19 July 2004 at 15:03.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 July 2004, 12:27   #2
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
The graphics are pretty much the same with the original if you use 640x512,256 colours.
GRAC was designed for OCS machines, and written in AMOS without the AGA extension, so you can't use 8-bit images. Nice idea for a project though, and it'd be good to see someone else actually using GRAC.
Old 19 July 2004, 12:36   #3
Tolismlf

Thumbs up

OK have another screenshot.
Again 320x256, 32 colour.
Isn't this very nice for the Amiga 500?

Last edited by Tolismlf; 19 July 2004 at 18:35.
Old 19 July 2004, 13:54   #4
oldpx

Yes it is and it's sooo illegal too

Old 19 July 2004, 14:39   #5
Tolismlf

Stick out tongue

Yes i know it is illegal. Do you really believe that Microids is going to loose any money if there is a little 5 room demo for the Amiga?
Old 19 July 2004, 14:50   #6
oldpx

No but I believe they'll hunt anyone's ass down for their copyrights. Could be different but Syberia 2 is a 2004 game!

Old 19 July 2004, 14:55   #7
Tolismlf

Yeah whatever, this is just to show people that is easy to convert classic adventures with no cost even to an Amiga OCS machine.
1.Using Paintshop to convert PC JPG-BMP etc-->Amiga Iff
2.Using Dpaint to edit Amiga Iff's
3.Using GRAC2.
With some knowledge of an Amiga and GRAC2 you can have a nice result.
Old 19 July 2004, 18:36   #8
Tolismlf

Is anybody interested in this project to give some help or you also think we shall let it go?

Last edited by Tolismlf; 19 July 2004 at 18:45.
Old 19 July 2004, 19:18   #9
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
Is anybody interested in this project to give some help or you also think we shall let it go?
Why not just Email Microids and ask if you can convert the demo ?????
You never know they might just let you
Old 20 July 2004, 09:45   #10
Tolismlf

I have contacted Microids to see if they would let anyone to convert their demo. I personally find it very difficult because it's a new game!
In the meantime have a look at some screenshots...
4 screens converted to 320x256, 64 colours...

Last edited by Tolismlf; 20 July 2004 at 09:50.
Old 22 November 2004, 19:43   #11
Tolismlf

They didn't even answered to my mail. Guess nobody was interested after all.
Old 22 November 2004, 21:49   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The person that probably got the email didn't have the authority to say anything, so passed it on up the chain until someone nearer the top said to just ignore the email. If you want to convert the game I'd say just do it - I can't see them busting anyone for converting the game to a "dead" system.

Your comment "Guess nobody was interested after all" - are you referring to Microids or the EAB guys? If you mean the EAB guys, the problem is more likely that none of us know the game or have played it so can't really comment. If it's aimed at Microids, well I could have told you they'd ignore you. Most companies completely ignore requests/permission for things
Old 22 November 2004, 21:58   #13
Tolismlf

I was meaning both EAB guys and Microids. This game is one of the best adventures ever created for any system. It has some of the best graphics ever created.
Take a look at the PC screenshots.

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/syberia_2/screenshots.html

Syberia rules.
Old 22 November 2004, 22:13   #14
Tolismlf

I think you are right codetapper, i won't wait them to answer, they weer propably laughing at me when they saw the mail. I will try and give it a shot to make a little demo of this.
Give life to ...

Amiga...
Old 22 November 2004, 22:27   #15
ant512

Remember that you're limited to a palette of 32 colours, and that some of those colours have to remain the same in every room - they have to be used in the characters and the user interface. The amount of trouble we had trying to get digitised photos into The Experiment ( http://hol.abime.net/?id=3764 ) was entirely disproportionate to the eventual effect. In the end, we only used one photo (a hill about 1/3rd of the way through the game), and our graphics guy just painted over it in DPaint.
Old 22 November 2004, 22:35   #16
Tolismlf

That's a big problem. Isn't possible to change the pallete after changing a room?
Old 22 November 2004, 23:08   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It must be possible to change the pallette in every room, I remember games such as sidewinder where the colours on each level would completely change and you could tell the pallette had swapped rather than them just using a different part of the same pallette, surely it's possible in a game that's even more slow moving than that?
Old 23 November 2004, 00:21   #18
ant512

It is possible to change the palette in every room, yes. However, changing the palette will affect the UI and the characters. For example, if the user interface uses palette indexes 1-12, and the character uses indexes 6-18, and you load a room that uses a palette in which indexes 1-18 are completely different, your UI and characters will look very strange.

The same is true with every Amiga game that uses the native chipset. You have to keep certain colours the same or the sprites will not use the correct colours. Other colours in the palette can change, allowing you to create different environments for each level.

Typically, you'd keep between 8 and 16 colours static (choose a few shades of red, green, blue, grey, or whatever will match your game's colour scheme - we used yellows, blues and greys, I think) - these are used in the user interface and all recurring characters and objects. The other 16 colours change depending on the environment (a nighttime hillside uses dark blues, shades of dark grey, and dark browns, whilst a spaceship interior uses a wide range of greys, light greens and light blues). Objects or characters that only ever appear in a certain room or environment can use the non-static palette indexes, as the palette will always be the same when those objects appear.

Generally, if you choose an appropriate range of colours to start with, you shouldn't need to fiddle with the palette too often anyway - just when the environment changes drastically (daytime to nighttime, planet to spaceship).

By now you should be able to see the problem with using graphics that you haven't created yourself from scratch - the palette is fantastically limited (32 colours at the most; 16 colours at worst) which is going to make intricate, raytraced or digitised images a pain to work with.

Getting the best results takes an awful lot of work, but it's possible to get some excellent images even within the constraints of GRAC if you're prepared to go back to pixel editing; the piccies below illustrate this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epsilon1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	7624   Click image for larger version

Name:	lethalformula4.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	7625  
Old 23 November 2004, 12:05   #19
Tolismlf

Understood. It's not so easy. Also GRAC2 is not very easy. You have to give each room, character, object a path to the disk...and then load it..
Some of the images that i convert to IFF cannot be opened by the Amiga because it says it's "a merged IFF", why is that? What is the best program to use to convert PC JPG to Amiga IFF? I use JASC Paintshop 8 on my PC and then i transfer the images to Amiga and load WinUAE Workbench 3.1. Some of the IFF images are OK some aren't. But you can get some wonderful A500 images though!
Old 23 November 2004, 13:33   #20
ant512

I think you get the "merged IFF" error when you try to load a 24-bit IFF picture into DPaint - DPaint doesn't support 24-bit images, and neither does PPaint. The best way to do it is to load the JPEGs into PPaint and use that to convert it. Alternatively, save the images as GIFs in Paintshop and load those into PPaint.

You can get PPaint 7.1c from the Aminet.
AdSense AdSense