English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 July 2004, 04:17   #21
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Ban all games that crash on my machine with no explanation
Settlers IV does this on a regualr basis.

Seriously though they should bad stupid special edition games boxes that dont fit on my damn shelf properly! that really gets on my tits!!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 July 2004, 12:36   #22
Bad Mr Frosty

1. Games that require no skill just perseverance to complete. Just about the only games that require any sort of skill these days are sports/driving games.

2. Generic third person action games, the side scrolling platformer of the 00`s.
Old 17 April 2005, 11:44   #23
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Scanlines (I was reading another thread and they came up), I hate scanlines itís like I'm wearing some kind of strange glasses that I was given...no, forced to wear for some heinous crime I might have committed. I think if people who broke the law had to wear scanline vision glasses then crime would be eliminated over night.

Scanlines the only good thing about scan lines is it gave me a chance to resurrect this nice old thread.
Old 17 April 2005, 12:01   #24
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Sitting through 10 animated corporate logos before getting to the games title screen.
Old 17 April 2005, 12:18   #25
Soulshaker

Here's the best one of them all: That annoying clipping issue with limbs of dead bodies sticking through doors and walls in FPSs. Why the hell can't they fix that?!

No amount of bump mapping, antialiasing, etc. can cover that up. And what's the point of adding more polygons if they're so haphazardly managed? Hmph!
Old 17 April 2005, 16:38   #26
TikTok

Companies who not only release HUGE fricking patches for their games, but don't even have the damned common courtesy to host the files themselves. Instead of finding the files I want, when I go to their website I find flash animations telling me how wonderful the company is. Then I have to hunt around a load of fan sites (some of which have older versions of the patch) and then put up with crappy mirrors like FilePlanet! Argh
Old 19 April 2005, 03:14   #27
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Copy protection systems that inconvenience the legitimate user more than the pirate using a cracked copy.

On-CD manuals. I want a real paper book(let), dammit!
Old 19 April 2005, 11:43   #28
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I totally agree, whatever happened to the effort they used to put into packaging and manuals? all those RPGs you actually got maps and stuff with and things like alone in the dark where you got the local newspaper and leisure suit larry with the magazine!
I want big boxes and manuals that take a rainforest worth of paper to print damnit!
Old 20 April 2005, 14:31   #29
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo
Scanlines (I was reading another thread and they came up), I hate scanlines itís like I'm wearing some kind of strange glasses that I was given...no, forced to wear for some heinous crime I might have committed. I think if people who broke the law had to wear scanline vision glasses then crime would be eliminated over night.

Scanlines the only good thing about scan lines is it gave me a chance to resurrect this nice old thread.
I feel the exact OPPOSITE. I love scanlines. Arcade/Amiga games had scanlines THEN so why not NOW?

There are alot of good points made here but until people STOP paying, this is what we'll KEEP getting.

Todays gaming industry is completely money driven to the point that it doesn't make financial sense to innovate when you can Imitate.

Myself, I've drawn the line against EA (for MANY reasons) and Valve (Steam) and I don't feel that I'm missing out as I can play pretty much the same game at anytime...
Old 22 April 2005, 16:37   #30
Interceptor

the games didnt have scanlines, it was an artifact from a TV or monitor, and never were the scanlines as prominent as the graphics on screen.

for a realistic effect, the scanlines should be about 25% of the thickness of the graphics between them, not 1:1 like that are now. meaning you'd need a screen resolution 4 times bigger than the display. which we currently dont have the option for, in general.

and note i mentioned thickness, not opacity.

1:1 scanlines, which was a bodge back in the day to make emus run faster at 2:1 resolutions when cpu cycles were at a premium, should definitely go into room 101. and long may they remain there.
Old 15 May 2005, 02:14   #31
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Microsoft
Old 15 May 2005, 14:59   #32
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Dont even get me started
Old 16 May 2005, 03:28   #33
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombjacker
Microsoft
Read forum title again before positng:
"RETROGAMING GENERAL DISCUSSION"

RETROGAMING

ok?
Old 16 May 2005, 09:11   #34
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I hated undue disk-swapping (when I had enough ram to load it all). The worst one (can't remember the game) is when you had to swap disks to load the 'game over' screen. Then you had to put the other disk back in to start again.
Old 16 May 2005, 09:50   #35
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Try Spirit of Excalibur with one drive, the game was almost unplayable.

Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 1, Insert Disk 2, Insert Disk 3....repeat every 3-4 mins.
Old 16 May 2005, 09:52   #36
IFW

Buying the extended EU version of StarOcean which comes on 2 dvds (!) and the manual telling to download the real, complete manual from the official website...
Old 16 May 2005, 11:13   #37
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKira

RETROGAMING

ok?
If that's the case Akira, maybe you should look most of the posts on this thread.

Hardly about retrogaming are they? And that includes one of your posts.

If you are suggesting that Microsoft have nothing to do with gaming, which I doubt you are, then look at it as a whinge about MOst things Microsoft have done to make gaming very annoying on the PC. Also the fact that the X-Box is devoid of good games that aren't FPS or Chav racers both of which have been done to death - something original now please.
Old 16 May 2005, 11:56   #38
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira

RETROGAMING

ok?
Microsoft have made many games since they were founded in 1975

What if i wanna talk about old versions of flight simulator?
Old 16 May 2005, 13:07   #39
Matthias

- Games, that you can only beat with luck...and nothing else.. Call of Duty comes to mind (in the upper difficulty levels). Just run across a field it goes "bang!" you're dead. No enemies there, that's just...I don't know..."cinematic gunfire", or what... Load you savegame, retry, "bang!", dead. Reload again: dead. Again: dead. Again: dead. Reload again, take the very same route. Victory!

- Games that are too complicated (for me). I don't play that much. And I'm not really interested in playing games, I have to learn a complicated keyboard layout for, to be able to play it properly - this made me stop playing "Operation Flashpoint". I always forgot which button I needed for something.
This is the reason why I'm playing more and more on consoles. But they seem to be in the need of more complicated stuff too. If I have a look at those controllers (X-Box and Gamecube and such...started with Dreamcast) I always expect them to go *swooosshhh* *fold-fold-screw-fold* "Hello there, my name is Optimus Prime."

- People who judge the quality of a game based on facts like: "How many shaders does it use", "How many polygons are the models made of", "Does it support 16x antialiasing",..... This makes me mourn for my SNES...WHY DID I SELL IT?!? I WANT IT BAAAACKK!!!
Old 16 May 2005, 14:36   #40
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Grab urself the SNES9X emulator and download a shed load of roms for it
AdSense AdSense