English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 June 2004, 17:41   #21
fiath

@sychro

All current consoles are "loss leaders", even the GBA. Publishers pay a large chunk of money per-game to the console maker for the privelege of making games for it. It has been this was since the NES. Standard practice in the console gaming market I guess.

However, "buying a console to loose the company money as I am not going to buy any games" does not work either, simply because console popularity is measured by console sales. Pretty stupid that, but still... I guess it gives a good eye to know what is in circulation.

Microsoft wants to build a name in the gaming market, it may even be that they never intended to make any money with the XBox. At the moment MS loses money from console sales, and the games sales are *not* making up for that loss. Just look at their financial reports - truely hilarious - they are loosing money from everything they do, (phones, pda's, etc.) except from two things. Windows and Office. Actually I am not even sure about Windows. But of course, they do make a crazy amount of money with Office.

Pretty obviously Sony make a killing with the Playstation brand since their game sales pull back all the money lost from the console + plenty more. Microsoft just want to muscle in on this, and maybe they will do that with the XBox 2. It seems much of the "layman" gaming press (i.e. stuff on TV) I see is very pro (biased?) towards XBox - and they preach the the people who count - the masses - not the gaming hardcore, which are very much a minortity still.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 June 2004, 17:47   #22
Bad Mr Frosty

Actually Nintendo make money on Gamecubes even at the crazy price they sell them for now.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:05   #23
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
And yes people do buy xboxes just for emu's and the like. I think Antiriad pretty much did.
I have never seen that link so looks like your correct ( My apologies to you )

But please !!! Ok the odd fanatic may buy an Xbox JUST to play EMU's but the usual story is .......Shall i buy a PS2 or an Xbox.....Answer....You gotta get an Xbox look what it can do blah!! blah!! blah!!!
Isnt that how you talk people round I know i do !!!

Fiath !!!
What you say makes perfect sense and i didnt know game makers paid for the privilage ( i just never trust a rich man who who says hes not making money on a project but continues to do it )

So looks like i was wrong again so my apolgies to you as well

So after admitting losing this one im getting worried im wandering off the Amiga scene theme and dont want to get a slap from the Mods so i will admit loss gracefully and try kill this particular subject ....But thanks its been educational for me
Old 30 June 2004, 08:25   #24
fiath

Hey don't worry about it, it is quite a bizarre business model. Certainly not an obvious one. Another examples are:

o Printers, they (at least the budget ones) are also sold at a loss. But you get severly milked when buying cartridges.
o Phones (in the UK anyway)
o Razors where the actual product gains the manafacturer no money, it is the replacement blades that get the money rolling.

Last edited by fiath; 30 June 2004 at 10:33.
Old 30 June 2004, 12:20   #25
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah no worries synchro, I'm sure we've all said stuff that could be said to be 'a bit false' I know I have many times, probably more than I should have done.

Yeah it is true that not a lot of people buy xboxes purely for emulation/movies, in fact I bet VERY few do. The weird thing is I haven't actually played an xbox game on my xbox for ages now.

@ Fiath. Well I never knew that about printers, although it does seem to make more sense now. I once bought a 3rd party printer cartridge for my printer and it completely fecked up my printer. Damn them.
Old 30 June 2004, 13:02   #26
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

LOL!! to be honest 99% of my time is playing EMU's rather than the games i must admit

I got sucked into the printer thing a while back..An Oliveti from PCWorld...35...Ink lasted a day.....refill was 25.....( single cart jobby ) And to really take the piss PcWorld said they didnt do the refills.....They had it back within 30 minutes I now stick with Epsom

Great for printing WinUAE labels ( just to keep the post on the amiga theme )
Old 30 June 2004, 13:24   #27
Big-Byte
Long time member

My xbox has been taken over by the other half so 90% of the time its used as a DVD or divx movieplayer.

The other 10% can be divided 50/50 between emus and games.

However this week its been nothing but emu's as Im replaying all my classic Amiga games.
Old 30 June 2004, 13:38   #28
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Cool, sounds as though winuaex works well then BB. I've gotta get it installed this weekend (on my new HUGE 20gb HDD )
Old 30 June 2004, 14:25   #29
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ive been addicted to R-Type all week. I prefer the Amiga version to the arcade version (I have Mame on my xbox too)..

I also took great delight in decapitating my partner as I challenged her to a game of barbarian!

btw.. if you are going to put mame on your hard drive then be warned the roms take 8 gig! (you cant actually have all the roms in the rom folder either as the max number of files per directory is 4096 and mame has over 5000!)
Old 30 June 2004, 14:35   #30
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

BB

I've already got mame running on my xbox with pretty much all the games I want on it, which at the moment is around 50 games! A lot of the games don't lend themselves well to emulation because you pretty much have infinite lives which is boring. I will download some more soon, including some decent shooters because I do like a nice shmup.

Gotta update my Snes/Megadrive emus and the games as well... also.. you had any luck with the N64 emulators?

Any chance you could do a very quick list of the best emus for MD/Snes/N64/MS and maybe a few more? There a BBC micro emulator for it? That would be cool if there was, I haven't played a BBC game in years!
Old 30 June 2004, 14:37   #31
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

I have been buying the new mag Retro Gamer.......Its really brilliant....The CD's are great !!!

Take a look

GO HERE !!!!
Old 30 June 2004, 15:35   #32
Big-Byte
Long time member

I subscribe to that Mag and got the free Namco joystick thingy - which I havent opened. Its a very interesting read. I also like the retro section in GamesTM

Ive got the N64 emulator to work pretty well.. not full framerate by a long way though. Ive got the release which is basically the 3 main N64 emulators stuck together in one package.

Emulators Ive actually tried:

Mame v0.79 (has a later version come out?), N64, Amiga, Snes and Megadrive.

Daphne (laserdisc) emulator is supposed to be good. I might give that a go next.
Old 30 June 2004, 23:15   #33
Bad Mr Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Any chance you could do a very quick list of the best emus for MD/Snes/N64/MS and maybe a few more? There a BBC micro emulator for it? That would be cool if there was, I haven't played a BBC game in years!
MD = NeoGenesis ported by Xport from Gens
MS = SMSPlusX ported by Xport from SMSPlus
Snes = xSnes9x ported by Lantus from Snes9x
N64 = Surreal64 ported by Lantus and oDD from Project64, 1964 and UltraHLE

I think there is a BBC emu but I may have dreamt it.

And not strictly an emulator`s but special mention must go to ScummVMx and ExultX (ULTIMA 7!?!?!?!??! , erm sorry but I love that game)
Old 02 July 2004, 12:20   #34
lostfriend
Zone Friend

next step, v4 is there. take a look at xbox-scene
Old 02 July 2004, 12:34   #35
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

WinUAEX Amiga Emulator port for XBox v4

What's New:

- Fixed a bug where WinUAEX would crash if you tried to load an ISO file before
running a real CD game.

- Option to select your own flicker filter level 0-5 (default is 5 - max enabled)

- Changed max FastRAM to 8MB

- Added option for up to 1MB SlowRAM

- ADZ-as-ZIP and ADZ-as-GZIP should both work now (as well as normal .GZ)

- Added 720x480 and 720x576 modes to Video Configuration menu

- Fixed screenshot size to trim the edges of blank space

- Repositioned LEDs so the screen doesn't have to be horribly askew to see them

- Added option to hide filename extensions - find it on General Settings menu

- Added option to always bring up save/load state menu on General Settings menu
If this option is turned on, then whenever you press the in-game button-combo
to save/load a state it will display the load/save state menu from which you
can select the state.
If the option is off, then the normal default behavior of immediately
loading/saving the current state slot will occur.

- Screenshot saved with each save state

- Fixed bug where if you ejected a disk from In-Game options menu and then immediately
selected "Reset Amiga", it would act as though the disk was not ejected.

- Added option to configure text screen size/position for viewing text files

- If you select the same text file to view you will be placed back at the position
you left it.

- Added Controller -> Joypad Mappings -> UI Mappings option for "Text Browser"
Assign a key-combo to this function and when invoked, it will take you back
to the last text file you were browsing at the position you left it.
This makes it much easier to jump back and forth from game <-> doc.
Note - you must first manually select a file to browse from the "Game Utilities"
menu off of the "In Game Options" menu.
Old 02 July 2004, 20:07   #36
Ash
Zone Friend

Groovy, I noticed .adz's in zips weren't working and some of my CD32 isos were working, not that I have that many
Hopefully more will run now
*downloads*
AdSense AdSense