English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 June 2004, 22:14   #1
kuran

Connecting an Amiga to a television?

Hi,

I would like to know if its possible to hook my Amiga 500 to my television instead of a monitor... it would save me a lot of space.

To make Akira happy, here is a picture of my setup..

AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 June 2004, 22:27   #2
RetroMan

Sure Just use a cable from 23 pin to Scart
Old 26 June 2004, 22:29   #3
kuran

Where could I buy that online? And please explain it a little bit more…*I'm not that technically proficient… I've been a Macintosh user all my life you see.

Old 26 June 2004, 22:41   #4
Peanutuk

You need a 'TV Modulator' to attach a A500 to a TV using the standard kind of areil lead you may be used to attaching other computers and console with. These crop up on ebay from time to time. Again ebay is a good place for Amiga Scart cables although I am surePower Computing must sell one. They still make and supply Amiga harware. Haven't looked myself though.

BTW you need more used tissues and a Monkey in the room.
Old 26 June 2004, 22:45   #5
RetroMan

The picture you get with a TV Mod is crap, just try to get hold of an Amiga Video Cable (23pin Din to Scart) and connect it to the scart of your TV Not sure where to buy such things, I´m from germany and those cables are quite common here in Amiga Shops .... maybe these guys deliver to Belgium as well -> http://www.kabelspezialist.de ?
Old 26 June 2004, 22:48   #6
kuran

I'll ask if they ship to Belgium…*I'd guess that wouldn't be a problem.

They do have a Scart cable for Amiga, would the image quality be acceptible? I'll have to order one and find out…

Old 26 June 2004, 22:51   #7
RetroMan

The picture won´t be as sharp as an amiga monitor would be, but it´s definitely better than using a TV Modulator
Old 26 June 2004, 23:16   #8
Bloodwych

A few of my friends used to prefer the picture out of a TV modulator rather than SCART or monitors.

They'd say "but the picture and graphics look smoother on my TV. On yours the graphics look crap". This comment I could take when I bought a £10 SCART cable, but after dishing out £250 on a multisync I got a little pissed off.

I don't know. "Untrained eyes" I used to tell myself.
Old 27 June 2004, 00:14   #9
Akira

Watch out.

Not all TVs accept RGB signals through SCART! Even if they might be ready for them, the connections to teh SCART plug are not made! make sure your TV accepts RGB signals through SCART before purchasing this 23 pin to SCART adapter.

If the cable did SVideo it would be OK, but thsi is unlikely (the Amiga doesn't have the svideo lines in teh 23 pin port. Strange but true!)

Nice setup mate, it's only missing one crucial thing: An Amiga Listen, I'm not sure about this, no one ever tried it as far as I know, but.... Can you connect a normal vga-type plug videocard to your Studio Display? if you are able to conenctit to any PC, you could of buy an external scandoubler for your Amiga and have it display in your Studio display. I wonder if that would work? I might experiment with that someday, when i get my scandoubler.

Cheers!

Last edited by Akira; 27 June 2004 at 00:19.
Old 27 June 2004, 00:58   #10
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
you could of buy an external scandoubler for your Amiga and have it display in your Studio display.
If it displays std VGA then should work without any problems. Only problem with scan doublers for the Amiga is the cost - I've always heard that they are frightfully expensive

BTW: The TV modulator that came with the A500 is called the A520 (might make tracking one down a little easier). Also, you can connect your A500 directly to a TV without the modulator (if you don't mind a monochrome display!)
Old 27 June 2004, 03:41   #11
Akira

External ones are the costiest bunch, but they shouldn't be more than 200 dollars

You cant connect the a5090 directly can you, it has no RF or Composite output, only the 23-pin port!
Old 27 June 2004, 03:58   #12
Galaxy

There is a mono video connector (single phono plug - labelled 'MONO') on the back of the A500 next to the 23 pin RGB connector. Connect using the same method that you would use if it was a composite.
Old 27 June 2004, 04:53   #13
Akira

No shit? Thanks for that data, I never seen it! (I dont have an A500)
Old 27 June 2004, 07:23   #14
oldpx

When I had a 500 I've only known mad tv and gods in black&white because my 520 was broke at that time! Later I checked gods in full color obviously.

Old 27 June 2004, 08:48   #15
kuran

I looked inside my old Amiga box and to my surprise I found out that I already had a scart cable for it… I hooked it up to my television, and all I see is a light blue/purple screen… the Amiga is on and purring nicely, but I can't seem to get to kickstart...

Has my Amiga died in its years of storage?

edit1:
It seems to be loading games perfectly still, although I can't see them… so it must be that my television can't accept RGB through Scart connections? Seems odd because I use Scart connections for other consoles with no problems...

edit2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
There is a mono video connector (single phono plug - labelled 'MONO') on the back of the A500 next to the 23 pin RGB connector. Connect using the same method that you would use if it was a composite.
I thought this would be for sound output only, would I be able to get a video signal this way?

edit3:
Well I'm getting further, I connected it through the mono port using a (composite?) cable, and I get an image... but its black&white and full of static, no sound either I think…*I'm trying to find the right Mhz frequency but there doesn't seem to be any... what could cause this?

Last edited by RetroMan; 27 June 2004 at 20:49.

Old 27 June 2004, 14:04   #16
Galaxy

'Mono' as in monochrome. Cables are all the same - I regularly use sound cables for connecting up video and vice versa so long as the connectors are correct.

Use the L and R audio outputs for sound.

It's a long time since I connected an A500 up like this, but I don't remember having lots of static. Have you checked to see if the plug on the A500 and the connectors on your cable are clean? Or perhaps try with another cable - at least you might be able to start eliminating some variables.
Old 27 June 2004, 14:39   #17
kuran

I connected the audio outputs and now have perfect sound, but when I try a similar cable (also basic single pin connectors which I used to use on my stereo) to connect the Mono to my tv, I just get a constant "bzzzzzzzt" noise and no image.

If you say that the cables are all the same, should I be able to use my (working) audio cables to connect the mono port and my tv?

Thanks for all your help, Galaxy…*my English isn't that good so I'm having trouble explaining myself.

edit1:
I have to add, I was using the Antenna-in port when I had the severely scrambled image which I described a few posts earlier, I connected the mono port with my television's antenna-in port.

edit2:
Ah, I have a perfect image now…*and stereo sound too! But one more problem remains, its in black&white.

Is this always so with the monochrome port? Or can it be fixed?

edit3:
I guess I answered my own question here.. I would have to get the Scart connection working if I want colors.. any idea what would cause it to show me only a blue screen?

Thanks for your help again, now I can play again! I feel 10years younger.

Last edited by RetroMan; 27 June 2004 at 20:52.

Old 27 June 2004, 20:56   #18
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuran
.. any idea what would cause it to show me only a blue screen?
You allready checked if your Scart Plug at the TV supports RGB ? Maybe you can also try to activate VideoText on your TV, that may activate the RGB Port (no joke)

Oh and btw. next time please edit your posts until someone else answered you, it keeps it all a bit cleaner and easier to read
Old 28 June 2004, 15:56   #19
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuran
It seems to be loading games perfectly still, although I can't see them… so it must be that my television can't accept RGB through Scart connections? Seems odd because I use Scart connections for other consoles with no problems...
The other consoles are NOT using RGNB through SCART, they probably use composite or SVideo connections through SCART. That's why you see them and not your miggy. Your TV is surely not wired for RGB and all you see is the signal comiung from sync or something.

And there's nothing to fix in the mono port. It's MONOCHROME!

Get yourself a 520 modulator off ebay.
Old 28 June 2004, 18:21   #20
oldpx

Maybe your scart cable isn't functioning.

AdSense AdSense