English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 June 2004, 19:37   #21
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
Im trying to download the files, but it never starts, they pop up but never starts ..
Im using eMule on a WindowsXP machine, any special tricks i need to do, special servers i need to connect ... or something like that ?

There's several things you can do to speed up downloads.

The 1st thing is to have a LOT of files shared. The more you have shared, the faster you'll be able to download, even more so if the shares are popular. However, be careful of what you share. The RIAA and MPAA are constantly monitoring that network, and you don't want to get on their bad list. Tools like Peerguardian won't work worth a shit, so the only way to avoid them is to not share copyrighted files.

The 2nd thing you can do is if you are on a router, you have to open up a few ports. You can pick almost any port, then tell Emule in the preferences what port you want to use. Emule's website will tell you the standard ports to use, but really, any port will do.

The 3rd thing you can do is just leave your computer on all the time. The longer you are connected to Emule, the better chance you will have at downloading a file. And when it's a rare file like Amiga games archive or something, it could take a long damn time.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 June 2004, 21:43   #22
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCreator
Okay have sorted the two versions of Warzone from the CAPS images, they will be in the next release as will Dalek Attack and Flintstones

Still missing

Deathbringer (spotlight version)
Logo
Robin Hood: Legend Quest
Tetris: The Soviet Challenge
The Final Battle

So if anyone has these please zone em

Biiing is too complicated to install, tried it once and once you have done the install it wants to do another one so decided to knock it on the head as i do not know german.

Deathbringer
The Final Battle ( germand and enlish version )
Robin Hood - Legend Quest --- in the zone.

Is the spotlight version of Deathbringer a budget re - release? Mhhh only have the original EMPIRE one.

I think i will get my hands on Logo in the next days maybe.
Old 30 June 2004, 21:52   #23
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Oh by the way. Nice idea for the registered user thing. But how to could we manage it???.
Old 30 June 2004, 22:33   #24
DeCreator

it's tricky to know how without speaking to the author of whdload, i really do not know how we could do it, but it would be nice to encourage more regged users.

something for everyone to think about

PS thanks for the games in the zone

PPS seems death bringer (spotlight) is just another name for galdregon's domain http://hol.abime.net/?id=4362

which is in the G archive

Last edited by DeCreator; 30 June 2004 at 22:45.

Old 30 June 2004, 23:25   #25
oldpx

Oops I couldn't find it on hol but you solved the mystery!

Old 30 June 2004, 23:28   #26
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
hmm that would be hard
Im trying to download the files, but it never starts, they pop up but never starts ..

Im using eMule on a WindowsXP machine, any special tricks i need to do, special servers i need to connect ... or something like that ?
Don't trouble yourself with emule. Try overnet . It can use up your entire bandwidth, it connects to the same network and it's server independent. Also your speed is independent of what you share and how much or for how long. Read their FAQs for the description of the horde system. It's much better than any other client. But still, you have to wait until someone that has the file becomes online and available to share the file with you. This doesn't have anything with the client and I sometimes wait for days to get improperly shared files (like this one) but the overnet factor helps when you are able to reach the file. You can also hide your shared files from being browsed.

Last edited by oldpx; 30 June 2004 at 23:34.

Old 01 July 2004, 01:52   #27
th4t1guy

Last I checked, Overnet featured a lot of nasty spyware. Is there an open-source version of this available?
Old 01 July 2004, 04:59   #28
EmuChicken

Tetris?

you sure that tetris : the soviet challenge isnt called Twintris the soviet challenge?
Old 01 July 2004, 06:57   #29
oldpx

I think overnet asks you if you want to install that but I may be wrong. Understanably, some people never install spyware but I'm one of those who thinks it's inevitable to install spyware at some point and uses ad aware to remove it.

@emuchicken
http://www.whdload.de/games/TetrisSC.html
Quote:
Short : HD-Installer for Tetris: The Soviet Challenge
Type : game/patch
Author : Psygore (psygore@whdload.de)

That install applies to "Tetris: The Soviet Challenge" 1988 Spectrum HoloByte
http://www.whdload.de/games/Twintris.html
Quote:
Short : HD-Installer for Twintris
Type : game/patch
Author : Psygore (psygore@whdload.de)

That install applies to "Twintris" 1990 Digital Marketing
It supports disk version cracked by Razor 1911.

Old 01 July 2004, 07:16   #30
th4t1guy

Well, I had a bad experience with Overnet. It was a while ago, so maybe things are different now. When I installed it, I selected the options not to install any of the extra programs, but it did anyway. After that, I ran Ad Aware and Spybot which got rid of a lot of crap, but there was always something in the background running that I could never figure out how to remove. It would kick me out of fullscreen programs every half hour or so and put me on the desktop (which got really annoying for games). I looked at all the startup options and task manager, but I could never find it. I think maybe it embedded itself into IE. Since then, the only p2p programs I use are open-source.
Old 02 July 2004, 08:50   #31
EmuChicken

ahh I'm quite sure I have that one in meh WHDLoad collection at home May have got it from KillerGorilla or from IRC, cant remember .... :/ I'll try get it you when I get back in UK
Old 02 July 2004, 15:34   #32
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

I think the idea that only registered users of the WhdLoad tool should be able to download the installs is good.

The only question is how to manage this?

Heres a suggestion:
All files have to be located on a ftp where only registered whdload user have access. The problem is to get to know whos registered to whdload and whos not... Perhaps Wepl could help here.
Old 02 July 2004, 16:56   #33
oldpx

p2p is the way to go. ftp means constant server space and bandwidth and that means money. And there is NO way to tell wheter or not someone is a registered user unless you ask for people's keyfiles which will be ridicilous but I know someone who did that once. I'm a regged user myself but I registered with my real name and address, it's inside the keyfile and any attempt to prove my registration will reveal this information. Wepl wouldn't know I'm "burseg" for instance, he knows my real name.

There are already some games like moonstone that don't work without registered whdload. Perhaps a check tool can be made that works similarly, only with a registered whdload and outputs an encrypted information file that works like a certificate but without personal information contained in it but then again an ftp will be required to control the downloads and bandwidth isn't free.

Old 02 July 2004, 21:46   #34
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
And there is NO way to tell wheter or not someone is a registered user unless you ask for people's keyfiles which will be ridicilous but I know someone who did that once. I'm a regged user myself but I registered with my real name and address, it's inside the keyfile and any attempt to prove my registration will reveal this information. Wepl wouldn't know I'm "burseg" for instance, he knows my real name.
Hmm i see. I didnt thought of that before. This is a real problem
Old 06 July 2004, 01:08   #35
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

DeCreator...

something is amiss. That SWOS 96-97 install you have in your packs seems to be very weird... The title screen seems to say 96-97 but during play the boards around the pitch say 95-96. What's up with that?

I've just installed the whdload version using the 96-97 caps version and the boards say 96-97 so your install seems to be some weird hybrid...

I've uploaded the install to the zone for ya.
Old 06 July 2004, 06:11   #36
oldpx

The default tool for the powermonger icon is "JST" while it's a whdload install. Just a reminder.

Old 06 July 2004, 12:16   #37
DeCreator

Will redo all the SWOS versions I have from CAPS images and place in next update, same as Powermonger.

Old 06 July 2004, 19:03   #38
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

@ Decreator:

I have one small thing to complain about the whdload releases from you: Why arent there all icons from the original install included? And why dont you use standard icons for the drawers/readmes?

This isnt really a big thing, i can live without the icons. Its just a suggestion.
Old 06 July 2004, 21:44   #39
DeCreator

Because those are the icons i like/use it aint no big deal to do your own plus the smaller the archive the less bandwidth etc, etc

Old 08 July 2004, 18:32   #40
DeCreator

Right I have re done

Powermonger

SWOS v1.1
SWOS 95/96
SWOS 95/96 - European Championship Edt
SWOS 96/97

Falcon with both mission disks

Look out for them in the July release

AdSense AdSense