Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 June 2004, 12:19   #1
Akira

Commodore Press Conference webcast

Live RIGHT NOW
mms://streams.hosting.nob.nl/yeahronimo

This is the kind of shit I had to hear so far:

*They are bringing back ALL Commodore brands
*They are slapping said known brands in the front of "me too" devices.
*So for example you will have 64MB USB Flash thing that is called " ePET"!, and an MP3 jukebox called "eVIC"!!! (I'm not joking, just saw it in the webcast)

Yeah, great. Oh and they are selling CLOTHING. Like, WOW.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 June 2004, 12:24   #2
Akira

More shit: Commodore as an online MUSIC RESELLER.... The webcast is running like shit for me so I just couldn't hear the reasons WHY for this guy.

Yeah go and pull an Apple Music Store on us. Will they be having C64 remixes on it only? YEAH RIGHT
Old 17 June 2004, 12:32   #3
Akira

They are watching DVDs now, or is it CD+Gs?
Britney Spears and Prince. Oh boy.

READY.
GO64
ARE YOU SURE?Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 June 2004, 12:38   #4
Akira

Ah yeh I tried to take a snap but it's impossible. Check out their new "catchline"

Cue horrid gery gradient background
C= logo amid
below it, the words: " NEED I SAY MORE?"

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I;m talking to myself. I'm so pissed off.
Old 17 June 2004, 12:43   #5
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
What did you expect they were going to do besides milk the Commodore name with junk products. The people who have fond memories of the C64 either have a fully working machine or have an emulator with all the games probably on one cd. Nobody would even think of making new c64 hardware except for one of those novelty joystick with games built in. If companies couldnt bring the amiga back from the dead what do you think they could do with the older and less capable C64?
Old 17 June 2004, 12:45   #6
Tim Janssen

Hmm, I could not open the link (restrictions here at work) but I suspect our Dutch friends at Tulip ar behind this marketing buzz. Remember a few months ago, when they tried to copyright all C64 games ever produced?

Anyway, I would like to have a Commodore breakfast cereal (nothing crispier than that) or a Commodore GPS which leads the driver to companies who have failed marketing activities or went bust.
Old 17 June 2004, 13:27   #7
Akira

The webcast is over, adn there's not much to say except what I wrote already. The Ironstone guy just talked about C64 history and the C64 joystick shit.

What did I expect? That they leave the brand alone. This shit about slapping old computer names in stupid devices is just rubbing the wound.
Old 17 June 2004, 13:30   #8
Peanutuk

I really can't believe this yet it seems inevitable, as retro gaming becomes part of the 'industry' people are going to try to make money out of it.

It's sad to see the Commodore brand being prostituted like this. People who once had a C64 may well be duped into thinking that this is the same Commodore [i.e. the same people] who made the machine, whether this will make them scoff or take them in is open to debate. We have already seen the euphoria that the pathetic TV-plug-in caused amongst the so called 'hardcore' C64 community so depressingly this scam may actually get somewhere.

I hope it dies in pain.
Old 17 June 2004, 13:38   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I think once common people realise that all the c64 programs can be found on the net and an emulator will allow you to play those games on your home computer,XboX,PS2,Dreamcast, etc it will be dam hard to sell somebody the same old games.

I would expect the Commodore brand owners to try and shut down anything C64 related on the net (especially game archives) if the decide to sell their own emulaters and game archives.

Since retro is cool (at least for now) there is probably a market for shirts, hats, etc showing off classic games or equipment (the geeks version of NASCAR gear).
Old 17 June 2004, 13:40   #10
Akira

Look here:

http://games.commodoreworld.com/comm...?action=signUp
Old 17 June 2004, 13:43   #11
Akira

And here:
http://www.commodore.net/Site/Deskto...ndex=1&tabid=2
Old 17 June 2004, 18:11   #12
Peanutuk

This is illegal surely? do they have permission to charge for the download of those games? I only had a quick look but are the authors receving any money? Are Epyx for Impossible Mission?

This is out and out theft.
Old 17 June 2004, 18:23   #13
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
This is illegal surely? do they have permission to charge for the download of those games? I only had a quick look but are the authors receving any money? Are Epyx for Impossible Mission?

This is out and out theft.
As they are distributing the Epyx games in the joystick-me-do thing, I think they must have obtained permission.
Old 18 June 2004, 00:08   #14
Akira

They do have permission.
Old 18 June 2004, 00:29   #15
Bloodwych

Yes this is very annoying but not unexpected; anything that is/seems commercially viable will have people exploiting it. If it's "right" doesn’t even come into it. One of the weaknesses of Capitalism.

They can't take away or damage our memories of what these brands once meant however - those are priceless.
Old 18 June 2004, 01:37   #16
StarEye
Zone Friend

This kind of old-brandname, new products that has nothing to do with the old products are disturbing. What has the Atari brandname really done for Infogrames? Atari is now just a stupid game publisher, but the name should just have been left alone.

I wonder what I would do if someone suddenly started publishing games under the Amiga brandname. I hope I don't live long enough to see that (but I fear I might). What else will they do with the brandname, once they fail again?
Old 18 June 2004, 01:38   #17
oldpx

Funny, as if commodore did have a good name! It was notorious for producing incompatible, strange gaming machines. Which were the machines we love of course but public opinion was like that compared to IBM clones. Amiga might have been more successful if public didn't think it was something like C64-2! And now the commodore brand is something valuable. Strange.

Old 18 June 2004, 02:04   #18
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Yes this is very annoying but not unexpected; anything that is/seems commercially viable will have people exploiting it.
Commercially viable? I beg to differ.,

The target market for these products is kids. New markets. they are not targetting these products to US. They said " Nice toys for kids" in the press conference.

Therefore the names VIC, Pet etc, mean fuck all to this target. So why use it?

furthermore, aren't there enough Flash memory thingies? Heck, they give it away as freebies! And a 20GB MP3 jukebox? Against the iPods? And buying online music? Against the Apple Music Store?

I'll ask again, commercially viable? Somebody explain this to me, am I that dumb?
Old 18 June 2004, 02:19   #19
Bloodwych

Well, this falls into the “seems” and perhaps not the “is” commercially viable bracket. It’s more a question you’ll have to ask the distributors, because you make a valid point Akira.

Perhaps they believe that many parents of kids recognise the brand names (since it is them who grew up in this era) and therefore will be more likely buy these retro products for their offspring. In other words, targeting parents with the names and children with the games. They may even believe it will appeal to retrogamers. Not here obviously!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 18 June 2004 at 02:25.
Old 18 June 2004, 10:50   #20
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I wonder what I would do if someone suddenly started publishing games under the Amiga brandname. I hope I don't live long enough to see that (but I fear I might). What else will they do with the brandname, once they fail again?
Did you miss the whole AmigaDE debacle, then?
AdSense AdSense