English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 May 2004, 00:40   #1
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Name your Quintessential Amiga game

What one game sums up the Amiga for you? What springs into your mind first?

For me, its probably Lemmings. It came out on the Amiga first (i think) and was released at the height of the machines popularity. For me it really captured its spirit.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 May 2004, 01:54   #2
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
definitivly turrican 2
Old 30 May 2004, 02:07   #3
Mangar
Got the fever back

I'd have to say Wings.. I cant think of having as much fun with a game as I did with Wings...
Old 30 May 2004, 02:53   #4
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Kick Off 2 - the best football game (not SWOS - that's for those with no skill) on the Amiga and it still hasn't been beaten for playability, except for possibly Goal!
Old 30 May 2004, 12:26   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Either North and South or It Came from the Desert. Both have somewhat original gameplay and excellent graphical quality.
Old 30 May 2004, 12:30   #6
Dr. Dude

Worms, Millenium 2.2, deuteros and probly also The settlers, or how about Sim City
Old 30 May 2004, 13:29   #7
JudasEZT

Hybris and BattleSquadron, for the music, colours and smoothness.. thats very amiga for me. likes an C64 but more wild, I likes to think in the amiga in that way.
Old 30 May 2004, 13:33   #8
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
For me, its probably Lemmings. It came out on the Amiga first (i think) and was released at the height of the machines popularity.
Archimedes first (I think, but not sure )... Just a personal opinion, for me, the most "Amiga" game would be Shadow Of The Beast. Not because of the game itself, but as the game which was most used to show off the Amiga's powers... Does anyone remember Gordon Harwoods, famed UK Amiga distributer? Their HQ was a small shop a few miles from where I lived, and SoTB was left running in their window for months: needless to say all the cool kids with their Amiga's used it to annoy all the less cool ST owners with their inferior version, and make people like me, with my mighty C16 or Sega Master System gasp... I still occasionally listen to the music today.

The earliest "killer ap" I can recall is Carrier Command... possibly F/A 18 Interceptor, but as I say, my experiences of the Amiga were very personal: It existed as a machine the people I knew had, and nationally/globally in what I read in Commodore User (Later CU Amiga), a magazine I continued to read long after it stopped covering the C16, because it offered glimpses of this amazing machine called an "Amiga". Took me until 1994 to actually own one myself though...
Old 30 May 2004, 16:18   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

Lemmings got Amiga treatment first

For me.. Beast is the game that most ppl talk about, but for me it was Populous (First Amiga game I played!!)
Old 30 May 2004, 19:14   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Eskimo Games this was my first amiga game and for time being quite fun to play. Today Well hmmmmm
Old 31 May 2004, 01:49   #11
Akira

Turrican II
Great gameplay, huge levels to discover OR finish fast if you wanted a fast-paced experience. Best music in a game, EVER. Great technical prowess. Probably THE Amiga game.

Lemmings
Originality to the max. I think it could be one of the most original game concepts ever, probably the most important game to come out of the Amiga. It got ported to every blimmin' system!

Lotus 2
Excellent fast game to go on 2player madness. One of the Amiga's "killer apps" I think, one of those games that sells systems. Instant cult-classic status.

and maybe Mr. Nutz.
Why? from the "late era" I think it's a game that showed pretty well that the Amiga was far from dead, that it could pull all the console eyecandy shit without problems, and make it all wrapped inside a cool game and all. Also, it was as close to Sonic on the Amiga as any game ever got, shame about its level designs, which didn't let you realize how speedy and sonic-like this game could have been. Damn shame.
Old 31 May 2004, 13:59   #12
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT
Hybris and BattleSquadron, for the music, colours and smoothness.. thats very amiga for me. likes an C64 but more wild, I likes to think in the amiga in that way.
I wanted to say the same things... I completely agree!
Old 31 May 2004, 14:20   #13
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I say Gods. It was the Amiga game for me.
Old 31 May 2004, 14:39   #14
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Happy Has to be

Kick Off 2 !!

nice Akira. four games
Old 31 May 2004, 23:43   #15
Akira

Sorry but I am not as narrow-minded as to chose just one, I'm more open to options.

Besides I wasn't the only one giving more than one option. If you've got a problem with me, vent t through PMs.
Old 03 June 2004, 04:53   #16
DarkElf

First game i actually paid for after i got my first amiga was Hostage. Damn that game gave me goosebumbs and kept me from going to school for a week. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Only other game to make me miss class was way off in the distance... Dune 2. mmmmmm.... spice.

Old 29 June 2004, 18:03   #17
purKKi

Hmm. Wings and North & South impressed me so much in the old days that those were the things that made me to buy Amiga...

Wings is really a classic Amiga game of its times: much more advanced than C-64 games, great soundtrack and superb graphics with typical "Amiga style".

...and North & South: just great fun and the best multiplayer game ever for social gaming and spending time with your friends! I have never got tired of playing that game again and again...

Old 29 June 2004, 21:17   #18
AlienBeing

Hello

Goblinz really did it for me and u coodnt get that on many other platyfroms. Also the pointy clicky adventure games and the pd games i also loved

Old 30 June 2004, 01:21   #19
StarEye
Zone Friend

Alien Breed (the first one) was among my first batch of 10 disks. Even though it's not THE favourite game of all time (although it should be pretty high up on the list), it gives me that special feeling that warrants it to be one of my most important gaming experiences.

Other than that, the ultimate amiga game for me must be Lotus II or Monkey Island 2.
Old 30 June 2004, 01:44   #20
purKKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Other than that, the ultimate amiga game for me must be Lotus II or Monkey Island 2.
For me it is hard to connect Monkey Island series and other adventure games like that to Amiga, because I always played those with PC: hard disk and 256 vga colours was the reason.

It looked really painful when my friend played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis with his Amiga 500 - 15 disks or so?

AdSense AdSense