English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2004, 10:22   #1
manicx

Another World available for MorphOS, Win32, MacOS and XBox

http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/raw/

Very good especially for MorphOS and MacOS users....
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 May 2004, 22:48   #2
Akira

nice! thanks!
Old 20 May 2004, 07:27   #3
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

And it's gone... I saw it for DC also. Would have liked to check that out.
Old 20 May 2004, 08:23   #4
tomcat666
Retro Freak

What a shame Again a greedy original author has stopped something really nice from happening.

Anyone downloaded the win32 version and wants to share it ?
Old 20 May 2004, 08:40   #5
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666
Again a greedy original author has stopped something really nice from happening.
Hmmmm.

From what the website now says the author contacted him personally.

I myself have nothing but respect for the author for doing that, because in this day of corporate legal threats and all that b0llocks that is at least the right way about getting a project finished.

This is the original author's baby and I wouldn't call it greedy if he spent many years on the original game and can now secure his retirement with a 3D FPS remake/GameBoy re-release.

If on the other hand it was U.S. Gold closing down the game for no other reason than their asses sit on the copyright then that would pi55 me off.

Old 20 May 2004, 08:48   #6
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Well, I have seen too many cases of this happening... mostly by original authors. In some cases (Fairlight remake by a friend of mine) they wanted the source code to be given to them for free so they can sell the game on all platforms they want. Ofcourse the author has told them where they can stick it... ;-)
There are numerous cases like this (CodeMasters, Ultimate Play The Game, etc.) and all of them say they want to protect the copyright... well, I just don't buy that. It never harms them if someone makes a FREE game... it is just a good advertisement if you ask me. They will never be able to sell it for Win32, DC, MacOSX, etc. Maybe for GameBoy Advance, but I dont think that version was on the site (but I never saw it, so I have no idea).

But as you said - it is the authors copyright and if he wants to do that he can.. I just don't think it is a nice thing to do - someone had gone to a great length to code a FREE engine for a game that is a decade or more old basically as a tribute to them.
Old 20 May 2004, 08:57   #7
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hehe, just found this link :

http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l...ad8597df382723

Idont speak French, but I think I know what this means :

Last release : Retiré ŕ la demande d'Eric Chahi.
Old 20 May 2004, 09:08   #8
Jim

Yeah, it's nice and all - and a compliment.

But someone making a free version of a 10-year-old game you want to re-release is not going to pay your bills are they?

This is not some big corporation like Micro$oft who is losing money, it is a guy whos last hit was probably Another World/Flashback. His one-and-only-ever Porsche is probably 10 years old now. His wife probably divorced him and took half his house & his money too.

If a big company such as Apple Records stops a guy from releasing a 40-year Beatles album remix (DJ Dangermouse) then that is wrong, cause Apple is a big company, and The Beatles are loaded.

Same could apply if Sega for instance go upset at a Open-Source Sonic The Hedgehog (orig Megadrive version) Open-Source remake.

Old 20 May 2004, 09:17   #9
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Didnt he do a lot more games later on ? The 3d sequel to Another World (called Fade to Black) and some more stuff ? Don't know how well he did with them...

As I said - I do understand if he wants to stop a GBA (or a mobile phone or some other mobile device) remake from being done - cause there is actually some money for him to be made... but not a Windows or Xbox or something similar port - since there he can't make anything, it actually could be a good advertisement for the game and could boost the GBA or mobile version sales.
I know this because I am working on a mobile game and there IS probably gonna be a FREE win32 and maybe macOSX port of it just because of that ;-)
Old 20 May 2004, 09:44   #10
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666
Didnt he do a lot more games later on ? The 3d sequel to Another World (called Fade to Black) and some more stuff ? Don't know how well he did with them...
I don't know to be honest. I never digged Another World or Daphne games that much anyway.

I was just defending the guy and making sure he didn't get put into the same catergory as some big company who has got a lawyer to fire of a letter for no better reason than copyright.

Old 20 May 2004, 09:47   #11
Akira

Fuck I didnt get to download it!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 May 2004, 10:35   #12
fiath

I think it is great that an original author is planning to redo one of his old games for the current market. The problem here is as I see it is that there is nothing illegal about the new engine, just like there is nothing illegal about ScummVM. If legal threats were made for the sake of "protecting copyright" or whatever, the author of this new engine could tell them where to stick it - and rightly so. But it seems it was made as a polite request because they were already doing something similar. Since this two-way respect never seems to happen nowadays I applaud the actions of both parties in such a "difficult" situation.

I certainly wouldn't call the author greedy. It *is* his game after all, and in my country it will remain his game for the rest of his life. Tom Jones still receives money for songs he released 20 years ago doesn't he? Why should games be different?
Old 20 May 2004, 10:38   #13
Jim

OK, the engine might be legit.

But surely you can't go putting those graphics that look about 100% the same, and the gameplay/idea/design/sound\concept/etc... aswell which I guess were along the same lines.

And if it wasn't called Another World or didn't look/play like it it would probably never have been mentioned here anyway.

Old 20 May 2004, 11:01   #14
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
If legal threats were made for the sake of "protecting copyright" or whatever, the author of this new engine could tell them where to stick it - and rightly so.
Another World is an artistic work and is thus protected implicitly by a copyright. Just because somebody else recreates that work in another form doesn't mean that the copyright vanishes. It's still Another World.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:48   #15
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
But surely you can't go putting those graphics that look about 100% the same, and the gameplay/idea/design/sound\concept/etc... aswell which I guess were along the same lines.
This is NOt a remake, the program interprets the engine and needs the ORIGINAL datafiles for it to run, just like ScummVM. so the author is stealing nothing. Obviously that when you have the datafiles teh game ie EXACTLY the same, it's the real deal.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:06   #16
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
Another World is an artistic work and is thus protected implicitly by a copyright. Just because somebody else recreates that work in another form doesn't mean that the copyright vanishes. It's still Another World.
Like Akira said, they are not though - a la ScummVM
Old 20 May 2004, 12:22   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
This is NOt a remake, the program interprets the engine and needs the ORIGINAL datafiles for it to run, just like ScummVM. so the author is stealing nothing. Obviously that when you have the datafiles teh game ie EXACTLY the same, it's the real deal.
So it gets all the graphics/sounds/level info from the disk ?

None of the graphics are included in the file that was available to download ?

But then you still have the internal game workings, the code - or does this program translate the machine code on the fly ?

If it does then yeah it's legal and the author can't touch it.

If it don't then it's not strictly legal.

If it's OK to release this then surely it's OK to release Amiga Kickstart ROMs ?

The Kickstart ROM is just the internal working and is no good without anything else. But luckily there are a few "dat files" such as WinUAE and some strange things called ADFs floating around that can put it to good use.

Old 20 May 2004, 12:26   #18
Jim

And a final point.

If I succesfully reverse enginered the secret recipe for Coca-Cola or KFC and called it Joca-Jola or JFC do you think I wouldn't be sued or breaking any laws ?

Old 20 May 2004, 12:27   #19
Akira

Just ask Pepsico. Inc.
Old 20 May 2004, 13:45   #20
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I want KFC and some Coke.

You mind reader.
AdSense AdSense