English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 November 2010, 19:28   #81
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Happy

MS-DOS? Not only that format, the Amiga beats X-Box360, PS3 and Wii imo. I don't have a closed mind either as I've played all three and got bored within 10 minutes. The Amiga doesn't need fancy graphics or 1000-bit music, what it does have is gameplay in spades which has never been bettered.

There is something more than nostalgia with the Amiga, it's an experience. An experience I've never felt since Christmas 1990 when buying a computer system. Put a fully loaded modern day PC with liquid cooled nitrogen, 5TB harddrive, i7 Core next to an Amiga 500 with 1MB ram and I'd pick the 500 all day long.

in the next series of my Mind has been taken over by the Amiga we explore the darker side of the Amiga experience by delving into the mind of doommaster!

Last edited by Paul_s; 01 November 2010 at 19:38.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 November 2010, 20:28   #82
Fabie
Banned

Turrican 2 DOS is not better than the AMiga version
it features 256 colours and better graphics..was like an AGA version
but it is not better for me...the Amiga version it is fantastic

the game Penthouse Hot numbers deluxe it's better on the PC
features better animation of the dancing girl at the intro and better pictures than the AGA version or the ECS version

The game lollypop is far better on the PC than the AMiga...better scroll and features music+sound effects......on the AMiga version you can choice between music or sound effects ( lack of enough audio-channels on paula)
Old 01 November 2010, 22:43   #83
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

T2 on the PC looks like a cartoon.

Amiga looks gritty and has realism. But each to their own as they say
Wash your mouth out with some soap!
Old 01 November 2010, 23:32   #84
Anemos
70X7

Syndicate is better on DOS, some more but dont remember..
Old 02 November 2010, 01:05   #85
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locash View Post
Dune 2 was graphicly better and more responsive on the PC (I did play the Amiga version on an a600 with 2mb chip, assume the 1200 version might be quicker), the Soundblaster FM synth music was dire compared to the miggy version though.
What? DuneII is a perfect example, where even the music wins... The Amiga music had an atmosphere, but so had the PC version, and it featured several soundtracks, and even different more racy tracks for "action" situations, like "Warning, Worm signs!", etc.
And dire? The DuneII Soundtrack is an example, how great midi can sound. I hope you didn't listen to it with Windows General Midi support. -.-
Listening to the same piece of sample over and over again really got boring, so even if I would like the one track on the Amiga better, it wouldn't still loose the comparison those several PC tracks for me.

The PC version got better balancing, too. I still remember building blocks of nine rocket towers, that weren't able to take down ONE FRICKIN ORNITHOPTER for 15 minutes!
This won't happen on the PC.

I like TurricanII on the Amiga better, but this is just for the personal taste in graphic style, as music, sound, and game play are just the same.
I even prefer the C64 version to the Amiga version due to "better gameplay"... not the scrolling or controlling, but just small differences in level design, etc. I'm listening to Amiga Hülsbeck music, while playing it, though...

And then there is Pinball Fantasies... I don't know, if the AGA version handles this right, but in OCS, there is a possibility in Stones'n Bones for the ball to get spit from the vault (Or kick back) right into the abyss. Damn, this is frustrating, just wrong! My MsDos version never did that to me. And it has the 5 million Loop combo, when shooting the left yellow ramp first (not the vault), going then into the scream ramp, and from there to the left lane...
Music is just the same.
Old 02 November 2010, 01:30   #86
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

heart of china
Old 02 November 2010, 18:32   #87
Anemos
70X7

i thing is a little better : The Settlers for PC?
and bigger screen view?
Old 04 November 2010, 16:22   #88
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
What? DuneII is a perfect example, where even the music wins... The Amiga music had an atmosphere, but so had the PC version, and it featured several soundtracks, and even different more racy tracks for "action" situations, like "Warning, Worm signs!", etc.
And dire? The DuneII Soundtrack is an example, how great midi can sound.
Highly agree there. The tunes in Dune 2 dos are really atmospheric and make the Dos version so much better. Its rare to hear tunes that do not get boring after hours of play.
Old 04 November 2010, 16:25   #89
onkelarie

I think the one MS-DOS game beating all amiga games is a commandline game named DEL. Very powerful and always good for a laugh or two when executed properly on any MS-DOS machine
Old 04 November 2010, 16:36   #90
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, and you can play game OH NO after playing DELTREE /y
Old 04 November 2010, 16:46   #91
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'd have to disagree with everyone that say's Dune II is better on PC. I so much prefer it on the Amiga.
Old 04 November 2010, 16:59   #92
BrooksterMax

I didn't play many PC games during the Amigas golden age, I never liked the analogue joysticks compared to the mighty zipstick.

However when I did get the odd chance, the adventure games mentioned before like Monkey Island had the edge and hard drives were more common so loading times were quicker.

I must admit I found Champ Manager 93 etc. much faster and better to play on MS DOS PCs, always envied my friends in that respect. Usually my friends were using their Dads work machine!
Old 04 November 2010, 17:08   #93
seuden
uber cool demi god

The Amiga version of CM was always released after the DOS versions iirc, so we had to wait a little longer but got a more up to date version.
Old 04 November 2010, 17:18   #94
Anemos
70X7

I think AGA games is much better than DOS games..
Any way games like the Deluxe Galaga playning only on Amigas very well is dedicate for Amiga.
Old 09 November 2010, 15:54   #95
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1009 View Post
The PC was the fairly cheap computer to get which was upgradable. Nice cheap upgrades and at the mentioned time most PCs were considered to have a harddisk so the games could require HD installation.
You must have bought a PC late in the day like I did ( I got my first one in '97 (£700) in the early days they were not cheap.
Iv'e got some ace magazines right in front of me...(Oct '91)

286/12mhz 40MB HDD, 1mb ram, mono £929 , vga £1099 (ex vat)
386SX/16mhz 40MB HDD, 1 mb ram, mono £1299, vga £1399 (ex vat)

Maybe they were cheaper elsewhere? I always had a sneaking suspicion that the U.S. paid a lot less for PC's, hence they turned to the PC earlier.
The prices in the late '80's mags iv'e got are even scarier!
Old 09 November 2010, 19:20   #96
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Syndicate comes to mind. The controls are better, there's more audio and the graphics are hires (16 colors, I think, should work great on AGA).
Old 03 December 2010, 09:16   #97
JemyM

Ports are worse. This is a general rule for me.

Pretty much all adventuregames are superior on DOS thanks to have been made for DOS, this means they were made for 256 colors and 320x200 resolution. When ported to 32 color 320x256 the graphics loose a lot of it's quality. However, Amiga often had better audio unless you can enable one of the superior soundfonts.

The same is often true the other way around, ports from the Amiga to PC that they didn't bother to redraw or update the music for tend to look like crap. Games like It Came From The Desert looks like crap.

Have to say though after watching a vid on youtube, Turrican 2 DOS looks pretty good and preserves the music from the Amiga version even if the helmet looks odd.

That said, there were features to some games that are better as a port simply because they made enhancements to the port. Eye of the Beholder looks worse on Amiga but contains the flavor text that was later used in Eye of the Beholder II, as well as featuring a real ending where the PC version kicks you to DOS.
Old 03 December 2010, 09:50   #98
Konrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
You must have bought a PC late in the day like I did ( I got my first one in '97 (£700) in the early days they were not cheap.
+1

Our first PC was a 486 DX2-66. Top speed at that time. And man, was it expensive !

Syndicate was definately superior on the pc. Turrican 2 definately not (IMO), don't like the graphics.
Darkseed was also better on the pc. If you like it, that is...

I don't know many games which were better on DOS. That may be because I prefered good sound and music over graphics. Although the graphics are better I'd rather play Golden Axe, Double Dragon 2 or Lucas Arts adventures on the amiga (the latter hd-installed, of course ).

Last edited by Konrad; 03 December 2010 at 10:01.
Old 03 December 2010, 10:01   #99
TCD
Global Moderator

When I saw Ishar 1 on a friends PC that played the intro sample through the internal speaker, I knew that the loading times are well worth the better sound on my Miggy The CD versions of 'Lands of Lore' and 'Legend of Kyrandia 3' with speech were the first ones that 'sold' the PC as my new gaming platform.
Old 03 December 2010, 10:51   #100
mombasajoe

Difficult. What are we comparing here? 1 MG A500 with 286 beeper?
AdSense AdSense