English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which will be the best emulation handheld?
Zodiac 2 1 6.67%
Gametrac 1 6.67%
Playstation Pocket 2 13.33%
Nintendo DS 2 13.33%
Sharp Zaurus 2 13.33%
No idea 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 March 2004, 22:33   #21
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I also beg to differ on Nintendos indestructibility when it comes to the handheld market. Considering that they and Sega dominated the console market before Sonys Playstation arrived its not inconceivable that history could repeat itself and the once big N be put on the sidelines again.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 March 2004, 23:58   #22
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Playstation's success is because of the game licenses Sony has thoughtfully granbbed, nothing else. Nintendo are INTO the game business, they develop games themselves. I find them far more respectable in the end.
I really think Sonys success is down to more than just licences, its a part of it though I agree.

Dont misunderstand me and think Im sort of Sony fan boy because Im not. I do own a PS2 but I also own a GC and a GBA and would love to see Nintendo keep the handheld crown.

I agree also that Nintendo are far more respectable because they are 100% games and I love them myself, but at the same time Im a realist not an idealist.
Old 28 March 2004, 11:43   #23
manicx

This market is not about hardware, it's all about how to deal with the market. A Gameboy bundled with a Mario game can kick the ass of a PSP bundled with 3 games. As Akira said, Gameboy and handhelds are synonymous.
Old 28 March 2004, 12:10   #24
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
As Akira said, Gameboy and handhelds are synonymous.
Right now, I would say "fortunately", but a bunch of years ago I would of said "unfortunately"!

This attachment to the gameboy brand regarding handhelds has made a BRILLIANT machine like the NeoGeo Pocket Color to fade away with little attention, when it was actually a complete Gameboy Color beater. It also made the Game Gear, Turbo Express, Lynx and any others that would face it, bite the dust of defeat. Even when there were machines FAR MORE technically sophisticated than the Gameboy, and in cases, with better games than the Gameboy.

I think the GBA has not decreased this and this is my reason as to why Nintendo will keep the crown. And today I say "fortunately" because Nintendo is the *only* one still standing that is a true "for gamers " company. The rest feels like "hey, the videogame market moves millions, let's jump in"
Old 28 March 2004, 13:51   #25
CU_AMiGA
Banned

But what about the GP32? It is going to get a Europian release.
Old 28 March 2004, 20:11   #26
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Akira, the only flaw in your argument in regards to the competition that Nintendo has beaten (in the handheld market) is that all the firms - SNK, "Tramiel" Atari, and NEC were incompetent underachievers in the other areas of the console market as well. Neo Geo, 7800, Jaguar, PC Engine etc - none of their products dominated any market they entered.

Sega was the only competing firm with some success - and then only with the Genesis which still ended up being superseded by the SNES. All its other products, the Master System, Mega CD, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast were failures.

Sony by comparison has crushed all before it with the Playstation 1 and 2 to an extent that Sega never did. It is for this reason alone that I think Nintendo are finally going to come up against real competition and lose their dominance in this market as well.
Old 29 March 2004, 01:53   #27
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by CU_AMiGA
But what about the GP32? It is going to get a Europian release.
No it isn't, this was planned for a year or so ago, but it was cancelled. Production of the GP32, as a matter of fact, has ceased a few months ago. Try to get some information.

As for SNK, Atari etc. being underachievers... fer chrit's sake, you can't tell me that. SNK has made one of the most used and pushed arcade hardwares in existance, the MVS. Atari has made the 2600 and all that stuff.. Is that underachievement? The Nec PCEngine OWNED the Famicom, genesis AND SNES in japan.

I think you need to look outside of your country for defining a platform's success or failure. The Saturn and dreamcast, which you define as "failure", have been tremendous hits in japan. Also, the Dreamcast was re-released in the US after the production has been canceled, by popular demand or something like that.

Underachievers? With all they have done? However you praise Sony who have two consoles in their record, and who have done nothing gaming-related, ever?

How would you define an achievement in gaming, then?
Old 29 March 2004, 10:42   #28
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
No it isn't, this was planned for a year or so ago, but it was cancelled. Production of the GP32, as a matter of fact, has ceased a few months ago. Try to get some information.
The European release is actually back on. Virgin Europe ("VirginPlay") are handling the release - it will be released in three countries initially, then the whole of Europe assuming everything goes well. GamePark are currently working on a backlit version of the hardware.

Check out the Spanish VirginPlay forum here:

http://www.virginplay.es/paginasasp/...P32%20BLU&ID=4

And you might want to check these websites to, as you say, "get some information":

http://www.virginplay.es/paginasasp/...P32%20BLU&ID=4
http://gp32.emu.pl/
Old 29 March 2004, 14:49   #29
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hmm the SNK MVS...yes every home has one...I somehow doubt its sales figures match any of Nintendo's or Sega's 8 & 16bit machines.

And I was specifically talking about Tramiel era Atari not the one before it. When he took over it became for all intents and purposes a different company.

And Im sorry, as far as Im concerned whats big in Japan means less than success in the US and Europe. Its these two markets that matter.

Finally chill dude, Im not praising Sony...Im just stating the facts that their two machines have made a tonne of money and dominated the market. I dont like them anymore than you do and hope that Nintendo - who I admire for its appreciation of its heritage pull through. But I doubt it as Sony are a ruthless bunch...I hope Im wrong as its always sad to see great companies like Atari, Commodore and Sega disappear.
Old 01 April 2004, 13:32   #30
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad

And Im sorry, as far as Im concerned whats big in Japan means less than success in the US and Europe. Its these two markets that matter.
Actually no. the primary market for cosnole developers is the Japanese market. Ruling in the Japanese market means survival. Ruling in the American means profit beyond break even and if you manage to do this in Europe you are world leader.
Old 01 April 2004, 21:49   #31
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Actually no. the primary market for cosnole developers is the Japanese market. Ruling in the Japanese market means survival. Ruling in the American means profit beyond break even and if you manage to do this in Europe you are world leader.
What the...? Do you have any idea about the global games market? Western games hardly ever sell in any decent numbers in Japan. Western companies target the US market over all others. The European market is big, but it's a hassle because of the localization, meaning that some games are not released in Europe at all. Japanese companies target the Japanese market. The cultures are different, the games are different. It just so happens that quite a few Japanese games are successful in the West because they are more gameplay orientated rather than the current profit-orientated mentality from Western publishers (sequels, licences). If a film is not successful (or released) in Japan, the corresponding game will obviously not sell on the name alone. Your view of the game industry is quite wrong.
Old 02 April 2004, 10:23   #32
manicx

I base my opinion on the examples of companies like SNK, NEC, Nintendo, SEGA etc. Most of the console manufacturers are based on Japan. Each one of the above companies has been involved in cosnole releases that were successful in Japan but failed in other markets. Yet, the success in the Japanese market was enough to keep them going. Most people underestimate the power of the Japanese market, but honestly, the Japanese market is a lot more powerful than what people believe since the ration of console per capita is much higher than the corresponding ratio in the USA and Europe.

Oh, BTW, I am talking about hardware here, not software...
Old 02 April 2004, 10:55   #33
ant512

All of those companies whose hardware failed outside of Japan have plenty of other business interests to keep them going. Sega and SNK were primarily arcade machine manufacturers; NEC have an extensive consumer electronics business; and Nintendo have never had a console that did well in Japan but failed elsewhere (the Game Cube, though lacklustre, isn't a failure, and the Virtual Boy failed everywhere).

To suggest that these companies were kept alive purely by Japanese sales is to ignore a significant portion of their revenue streams.

More importantly, we can look at those companies now. The Saturn and DreamCast were only really successful in Japan; Sega subsequently stopped manufacturing hardware and have merged with Sammy, who want to focus on the arcade market.

SNK produced the Neo Geo and the NG Pocket range, only popular in Japan; they went bust, were bought out, and are now producing arcade games for Sega's Naomi board.

As far as I know, NEC no longer produce videogame hardware.

Only Nintendo, who have done at least reasonably well in all territories with all of their hardware, currently manufacture consoles.
AdSense AdSense