English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 March 2004, 15:40   #21
hal
where am i ?

maybe if i'd take over the world and form a fascist gov't and then ban all other computers than amigas

also i'll put on a law that bans blonde women from owning dutch woodshoes

and all cows must be purple coloured

and also cars are banned
only transportation allowed sides walking is sheep

yeah
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 March 2004, 05:29   #22
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Maybe I didnt make the original question clear enough.

I didnt mean would an actual new Amiga be a success, I simply meant the concept of an all in one unit machine.

For example if Microsoft (yeah boo) had made the XBox with a built in keyboard and it had more that just games released for it.

BTW I know XBox is a PC in a box but it was just an example.
Anyone these days needing an all-in-one system will buy a laptop. And so far all the console/settop box wanna be PCs have not caught on.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:50   #23
Critter

the console market has too much impact on the world of home user entertainment.. if the amiga was alive today it would need one hell of a makeover.. and im talking not kickstart im saying 'superkickstart'!

there might be some heads turning then
Old 02 April 2004, 12:54   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
the console market has too much impact on the world of home user entertainment.. if the amiga was alive today it would need one hell of a makeover.. and im talking not kickstart im saying 'superkickstart'!

there might be some heads turning then
The A3000 used a "SuperKickstart"...
Old 03 April 2004, 11:10   #25
Critter

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
The A3000 used a "SuperKickstart"...
and the A3000 is equivalent to a Megadrive or a Playstation 1?
Old 03 April 2004, 11:25   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Megadrive yes, Playstation no (Unless that A3000 as a 060/50+ and PicassoIV and then you are still pushing it).
Old 20 April 2004, 00:25   #27
XDread

"A machine that has the stability of an Amiga (unlike PC)"

Hey, have you ever heard of "Guru Meditations"? How often did you experience that? Why do you think? Perhaps that was because an Amiga does not have protected memory? (And people creating faulty programs?)

How often do you see the PC-equivalent blue screen today on a modern operating system? Once a year? Once every 6 months? Its probably not often, unless you are experiencing bad hardware or a bad or faulty installation.

That's because a program running on a modern PC - unlike the old Amiga - runs in its ows protected memory space. It can thus not overwrite memory locations where other programs recide if there is something wrong with the program. If it tries to do so, the operating system denies access and shuts down the program trying to access outside its own memory space. An Amiga would present to you the infamous "Guru Meditation" logo if vital parts of memory got overwritten.

Ok, I admit that it's not fair comparing an old Amiga with todays PCs. The Amiga at its time was far ahead of any PC existing at that time, and so was it for several years. To state that an Amiga is a stable machine is to go way overboard! So is it to state that todays PCs are not very stable.

There you are - I just had to let it out!

To answer your question: No, I am sorry to say that I do not believe there will ever be a "New Amiga". Unless perhaps if they made a portable one? Hmm.. I like the idea! PDA-Amiga? Wee

Old 20 April 2004, 00:37   #28
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I had my first guru meditation screen the other day on my A2000 when I was trying to install a game incorrectly.

Dont think I ever had one on my a1200, but I assume OS 3.0 is alot better then the OS 1.3 on the a2000.

And you are correct about new OS's rarely having BSOD, win2k is very stable don't know about xp since I dont use it.
Old 20 April 2004, 00:56   #29
XDread

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I had my first guru meditation screen the other day on my A2000 when I was trying to install a game incorrectly.

Dont think I ever had one on my a1200, but I assume OS 3.0 is alot better then the OS 1.3 on the a2000.

And you are correct about new OS's rarely having BSOD, win2k is very stable don't know about xp since I dont use it.
Hi!

OS 3.0 is sure to be better, but this is not a software issue, rather than a hardware thing. I don't know about the 68040+, but the 68000-68020 did not have any memory protection. I guess it still counts for the higher versions of the 680x0 series as well.

Old 20 April 2004, 01:31   #30
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
My a1200 is using a 68030/50 if that make s a difference. Only other 68k machines I use are old macs, and they dont really have memory protection either.
Old 20 April 2004, 10:29   #31
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by XDread
"A machine that has the stability of an Amiga (unlike PC)"

Hey, have you ever heard of "Guru Meditations"? How often did you experience that? Why do you think? Perhaps that was because an Amiga does not have protected memory? (And people creating faulty programs?)

How often do you see the PC-equivalent blue screen today on a modern operating system? Once a year? Once every 6 months? Its probably not often, unless you are experiencing bad hardware or a bad or faulty installation.
How often do you see crap messages like the one attached on the Amiga? Never. If you are actually involved with setting up Windows on different hardware, you get a lot of strange messages.

Quote:
Ok, I admit that it's not fair comparing an old Amiga with todays PCs. The Amiga at its time was far ahead of any PC existing at that time, and so was it for several years. To state that an Amiga is a stable machine is to go way overboard! So is it to state that todays PCs are not very stable.
You are right. Modern PCs are very stable when run on Linux. This is not the case when you run Windows though. You still get issues that makes you laugh. If Windows were stable, you wouldn't have service packs. Windows are not only instable but also have security issues. The word Service Pack has been uknown to me until I used Windows.... Oh, BTW, my Amigas has never crashed (A1200 WB3.1, A1200 WB 3.0, A4k OS3.5, A4k, OS3.9). Am I a lucky man?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	6682  
Old 20 April 2004, 16:54   #32
XDread

Well, I'm absolutely sure you regularly see the Guru Meditation screen eventually. Perhaps not Guru Meditation, I think they changed it, but the red square with a fatal error inside.

For your example, that's not a fatal error, the OS works just perfectly well even if you are experiencing that problem, and it is not necessarily Windows fault. (Windows get the blame for most other faulty programs.) Besides: You DO see "core dumps" from time to time on Linux as well!

Perhaps people has gotten better at writing programs on the Amiga, which is natural to think, but no single piece of software if perfect in regard to program errors.

The Amiga with its nonprotected system is more sensitive to serious program errors than a system with a protected memory scheme. Windows - and Linux just terminates such applications and continues to run as if nothing has happened.

Wheter or not you are an experienced computer "dude", you get problems regarding such error messages you showed from time to time. If you are skilled, this is no problem, if not then you probably have a "geek"-friend who can help, if not, then tough luck. This rule counts for all systems, whether it is Amiga Os, MS Windows, Linux, OS/2, DOS, OSX or anything.

If Linux was perfect, then you didn't have to install upgrades of each and every one program that has bugs in it. Neither would you need to do so if it were completely secure.

My MS Win XP runs perfectly well on my computer, and it has done so for half a year now. Win 2k, which I used to run worked perfectly on my computer as well, Win NT ran with some minor inconvieniences, Win 9x ran with much trouble (but still recoverable blue-screens). - Wich is why exactly I mean that Amiga too has problems.

I used to be - and still am - fond of the Amiga. I think it was a great machine, perhaps still is, but I am not blind to the fact that things evolve. Things changes to the better.

Lastly I think this thread is wandering way off topic. I didn't want to start a "my computer system is better than yours" debate, just state that despite people's beliefs Amiga is just not as stable a system as what newer computers are.

Last edited by XDread; 20 April 2004 at 17:05.

Old 20 April 2004, 17:48   #33
XDread

As for your specific error I suggest:

Safe mode,
Uninstall the card in question,
reboot in normal mode,
install the latest service pack (even if you already have),
reinstall the latest version of the NIC drivers.

If that doesn't work, try to unistall _all_ NICs to reinstall them again using the above procedure.

But you may already have tried that?

AdSense AdSense