English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 April 2004, 06:35   #61
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
About the direction of Amiga Inc...

I don't get it. They have taken a embedded/fast Java Virtual Machine licensed from the Tao Group and have come out with this Amiga DE stuff, and now they are making that their future direction.

But I don't understand what they can possibly add? Java has gaming facilities already, so what are they doing? Are they adding another (proprietry) gaming API? The only thing I have seen so far is a few games released with the Amiga name...

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Only thing I ever hear them brag about is that the games or apps written for Amiga DE scale up or down across multiple digital devices without the need for developers to target any specific device. The same write-once, run anywhere scenario Java claims. Which kinda gets you thinking how much of that ability comes from Java and how much comes from Amiga DE.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 April 2004, 06:42   #62
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Besides being able to run on different architectures whats so great about java? Its not like its the fastest programming language around or supports every 3d card (which games both need these days unless you just want to run space invaders).
Old 09 April 2004, 11:01   #63
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Besides being able to run on different architectures whats so great about java? Its not like its the fastest programming language around or supports every 3d card (which games both need these days unless you just want to run space invaders).
Hey don't forget another added benefit of Java is that it is named after a favorite American pastime, drinking Coffee. I'm a Green Tea drinker myself though. I missed the Boston Tea Party because I was sleeping.
Old 09 April 2004, 12:04   #64
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Java 3D supports DirectX and OpenGL hardware acceleration.
Old 09 April 2004, 12:06   #65
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Hey don't forget another added benefit of Java is that it is named after a favorite American pastime, drinking Coffee. I'm a Green Tea drinker myself though. I missed the Boston Tea Party because I was sleeping.
Actually the favorite American pastime is beer, but the name wasn't catchy enough.
Old 09 April 2004, 13:43   #66
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
Only thing I ever hear them brag about is that the games or apps written for Amiga DE scale up or down across multiple digital devices without the need for developers to target any specific device. The same write-once, run anywhere scenario Java claims. Which kinda gets you thinking how much of that ability comes from Java and how much comes from Amiga DE.
Exactly my point. All of their promotion of cross-platform-ness, but all that comes from Tao's Java virtual machine which they run on top of.

Hence the question, what does Amiga DE actually add to Java?
Old 09 April 2004, 14:03   #67
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Exactly my point. All of their promotion of cross-platform-ness, but all that comes from Tao's Java virtual machine which they run on top of.

Hence the question, what does Amiga DE actually add to Java?
The Amiga name, which means nothing to anyone outside the community.
Old 09 April 2004, 14:05   #68
fiath

Quote:
It is very developer friendly, has a feature rich API and you can build applications very quickly and don't need to worry about memory allocation issues etc.

It is fast. Current Hotspot (static recompilation) JVM's approach C++ speeds.

As Oscar said. It supports all 3D cards that OpenGL supports (since it used that). It supports all 3D cards Windows supports (since it runs on top of Direct-X). I think that is probably all cards

There are quite a few 3D games available for Java, including one commerical quality 3D RPG. I'll find the link if you are interested...
Old 09 April 2004, 14:07   #69
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
The Amiga name, which means nothing to anyone outside the community.
So... It is a rebranded technology and that is it?

I thought it at least might be some sort of game API on top (not that Java really needs that since it has one)...
Old 10 April 2004, 23:29   #70
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
So... It is a rebranded technology and that is it?

I thought it at least might be some sort of game API on top (not that Java really needs that since it has one)...
Perhaps. I did read somewhere about some assembler language for Amiga DE. How spectacular that is supposed to be I don't know. I gotta think it'll just slow down development of any new software.
Old 11 April 2004, 01:14   #71
Mangar
Got the fever back

What I would like to know is who owns the rights to the Commodore name.

It has better brand recognition than the Amiga. Surprised someone has not tried to resurrect it.

Like they did with Atari.
Old 11 April 2004, 02:32   #72
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mangar
What I would like to know is who owns the rights to the Commodore name.

It has better brand recognition than the Amiga. Surprised someone has not tried to resurrect it.

Like they did with Atari.
That's a good question. Once a company is liquidated physical assets are sold off, but I don't know if that also includes company names and trademarks. I do notice that Commodore itself isn't mentioned much when you read about those that have bought the assets of the company, just the Amiga name and related technology.
Old 12 April 2004, 18:27   #73
kolorabi

I think the Commodore brand is owned by a company called Tulip. The Amiga and Commodore brands have been separate for quite some time now. Here's a related link: http://www.tulip.com/news/article.asp?nid=109
Old 12 April 2004, 19:18   #74
Korodny
Zone Friend

The German PC-retailer Escom purchased all Commodore/Amiga trademarks and the complete IP in 1995. They used the Commodore logo on IBM clones they were selling, and established a subsidiary ("Amiga Technologies") responsible for building, marketing and selling Amigas and related technologies.

When Escom Germany went bancrupt in 1996, the dutch subsidiary Escom Netherlands (that was not affected by the parent's bancruptcy) acquired the Commodore brand name and the "Chicken Head" logo, while Amiga Technologies (i.e. all Amiga trademarks and related IP) was purchased by Gateway.

Escom Netherlands went bancrupt in 1997 (1998?) and the Commodore/Chicken Head logos were sold to Tulip. Tulip is licensing the trademarks to pretty much everybody willing to pay.

In Germany, you could buy Commodore branded document shredders and similar office equipment (even cell phones IIRC) for years. Commodore Media (a Belgium company) recently purchased an exclusive, worldwide license to sell optical media with the commodore brand name.
Old 12 April 2004, 20:37   #75
Mangar
Got the fever back

Thanks for the info.

Tulip does not seem interested in bringing back the Company name. Seems more they just want to make money from the commodore 64 fanbase. Quite sad, really.
Old 12 April 2004, 21:38   #76
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The company name is so tarnished that its probably not worth bringing it back.
Old 12 April 2004, 22:50   #77
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Given the cash, I'd buy it so I could kick it. Hard! Though I'd prefer to do it to the people responsible for the total fcukwit desisions made by the top management at C=
Old 13 April 2004, 03:21   #78
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Amiga DE is this with a different name.
Old 14 April 2004, 16:45   #79
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Mangar
Thanks for the info.

Tulip does not seem interested in bringing back the Company name. Seems more they just want to make money from the commodore 64 fanbase. Quite sad, really.
Which caused quite a stir several months ago by the virtue about what they actually owned (insofar as C64 rights) to license off as "rights" to other 3rd parties. A certain company that was claiming to resurrect the C64,(having licensed from Tulip) suddenly wanted to claim the rights to "owning" all the games written for the C64, at least in making veiled threats & vague promises-last I recall anything, it seemed like their grand acheivement was designing a new logo!

I'm sure the Amiga & C64 rights will appear on Ebay one of these days!
Old 15 April 2004, 13:44   #80
manicx

Quote:
There are quite a few 3D games available for Java, including one commerical quality 3D RPG. I'll find the link if you are interested...
I think that the FPS Chrome was written in Java...
AdSense AdSense