English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2004, 16:34   #41
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by Methanoid
Inside Out was finished but Paul Nolan (of Photogenics fame) didnt finish the s/w and yes, Boxer wasn't.

Could you do any better? Didn't think so...
So, along side the Access, he produced a useless prototype PCI card and an unfinished motherboard? I don't think I could have done better, but I doubt anybody here could do any worse...

Last edited by ant512; 21 March 2004 at 16:43.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 March 2004, 17:36   #42
kolorabi

I don't know yet whether this is good or bad news, but it seems the AmigaOne and OS4 are not affected by the sale. Amiga Inc. never really seemed interested in the classic Amiga OS anyway, so I don't miss those guys. Eyetech and Hyperion were the ones who worked on the future of the real Amiga platform, the Amiga DE has absolutely nothing to do with the Amiga and has never interested me (or any Amigans that I know) at all.

I understand why Amiga Inc. sold the Amiga OS'es, but I must admit I'm wondering why KMOS bought them. What are they planning to do (I mean, beyond OS 4)? And who are they anyway?
Old 21 March 2004, 22:39   #43
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
So, along side the Access, he produced a useless prototype PCI card and an unfinished motherboard? I don't think I could have done better, but I doubt anybody here could do any worse...
OK.. put it to a poll elsewhere... who is qualified and able to do better and lets see who is big headed enough to think they could do EVEN AS WELL as producing one machine.

I seriously doubt anyone here could do as well let alone better (obviously apart from yourself who clearly has an inflated opinion of himself).

Its very easy to sit back and criticise others.... please enlighten us about your own electronics expertise? How many systems have you designed?

About the only person I would say is really qualified to BITCH about Mick Tinker is probably that guy making the Nueron (Austex Software) or Oli H-Day making the Coldfire accelerator.
Old 21 March 2004, 23:03   #44
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Actually he produced the Siamiese System which I have in it's V2.5 guise.

It's a brilliant bit of hardware/software, that allows you to run the Amiga through a pc gfx card using a custom picasso96 mode and tcp/ip conection, also has inbuilt SCSI network for Amiga<->PC communications and storage, with the drives accesible from both sides.

If I knew squat about programming for it, I'd try to update the s/w, if there's anyone out there who likes that kind of thing you can get the s/w off Aminet. What would be even better, is if whoever owns the IP would release the code...
Old 22 March 2004, 00:13   #45
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
Actually he produced the Siamiese System which I have in it's V2.5 guise.

If I knew squat about programming for it, I'd try to update the s/w, if there's anyone out there who likes that kind of thing you can get the s/w off Aminet. What would be even better, is if whoever owns the IP would release the code...
The Siamese is indeed excellent, although I found the WindowsOnPC thing somewhat buggy. I've got the original one with the hardware monitor switcher. You can switch between the PC and Amiga screens with Amiga+C, and control each with the others mouse and keyboard.

A while ago, I mailed Paul Nolan at his current company, about getting the source code to update it work on Windows2000/XP. I didn't get a reply.
Old 22 March 2004, 05:09   #46
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Stick out tongue

Better e-mail these guys about the situation of Kickstarts and Workbenches as well! Someone had asked in this thread, but the post seems to have entirely gone down the drain because this topic has never been touched so far!
Old 22 March 2004, 11:09   #47
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by Methanoid
Its very easy to sit back and criticise others.... please enlighten us about your own electronics expertise? How many systems have you designed?
I'm designing an ATX motherboard-based Amiga, 100% compatible with the original. It has dual DIMM sockets, 2 IDE ports, 4 PCI slots and an expansion slot for a Zorro 3 bus. It also features a single-chip AGA implementation and an expansion slot for PPC processors.

I've been developing it for about 10 years, and if you pre-order one for the special price of $1495, it'll get here even faster. (Money non-refundable.)
Old 22 March 2004, 11:38   #48
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
I'm designing an ATX motherboard-based Amiga, 100% compatible with the original. It has dual DIMM sockets, 2 IDE ports, 4 PCI slots and an expansion slot for a Zorro 3 bus. It also features a single-chip AGA implementation and an expansion slot for PPC processors.

I've been developing it for about 10 years, and if you pre-order one for the special price of $1495, it'll get here even faster. (Money non-refundable.)
So we'll take it that means NONE then.... ?
Old 07 April 2004, 05:39   #49
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by StarEye
...Probably the only reason I don't own a Mac, but a PC, is because there's no support on it for games, which is my biggest interest right now....
I always here about the lack of software for the Mac, but take a stroll down any isle in CompUSA or BestBuy here in the states and you'll be amazed at the abundance of useless crap on the retail shelves available for the PC. If you take the good stuff and get rid of the garbage titles for the PC, it'll quickly add up to one huge pile of shit. There's an over abundance of software for the PC, but much of it isn't even on the same level as Amiga software of some 15 years ago.
Old 07 April 2004, 05:51   #50
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

I'm glad that I am not an Amiga Inc. fanatic anymore.

*pats 3.0 powered A1200*

What does this KMwhatever company have to do with amiga? NOTHING! These are people deploying content for mobiles or networks or shit! What do you think AmigaOS will do in the hands of this people? Yer right.

Now Amiga is nothing but a name. What does it have to do with the Amiga now that they sold the OS? Why don't they rename themselves to the "Mobile Something Something Corporation"
I've not kept up with the AmigaOS saga in the hopes that by the time I start reading up on it again it would be available. All I read about is more legal manuevering.
Unless KMOS wants to try and compete with the Palm & PocketPC with a proprietary handheld of their own, which will never happen I think AmigaOS will likely end up in settop boxes in one form or another, although Linux is already there for many settops in the US already.
Old 07 April 2004, 06:02   #51
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
I always here about the lack of software for the Mac, but take a stroll down any isle in CompUSA or BestBuy here in the states and you'll be amazed at the abundance of useless crap on the retail shelves available for the PC. If you take the good stuff and get rid of the garbage titles for the PC, it'll quickly add up to one huge pile of shit. There's an over abundance of software for the PC, but much of it isn't even on the same level as Amiga software of some 15 years ago.
Well you can toss the budget game, utility, and office titles and still have 20x the apps then whats on the mac.

The only thing apple has exclusive for their system is the OS and titles they make specifically for their systems, every other vendor has both apple and PC versions of their software or just PC versions.

You can argue if you need 1 cd burning software or a selection of 20 to pick from, but the main weakness of the mac is a combination of lack of software for some fields, lack of special hardware cards for niche fields, and the major lack of a huge force of independent hardware and software developers.
Old 07 April 2004, 10:22   #52
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
The only thing apple has exclusive for their system is the OS and titles they make specifically for their systems, every other vendor has both apple and PC versions of their software or just PC versions.
Yes, that is certainly true. In fact, forget the subject matter - it has to be.
Old 08 April 2004, 05:19   #53
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
[B]Well you can toss the budget game, utility, and office titles and still have 20x the apps then whats on the mac.

Ok the PC had 2 decent CD burning programs, Nero, Alcohol 120%. Having a bigger selection of the same software is great if any of them truly offer features not found in other products.
Look at the plethora of cheesy video editing software for the PC, it the same. One maybe two decent ones there and you're done.
Old 08 April 2004, 05:36   #54
Unknown_K

Discjuggler, clonecd, and another I can't think of at the moment are pretty decent. There were some older ones that worked well also during their day Corel ezcd creater (before adaptec purchased it and before it was spun off to roxio), dont think the mac had burning software way back then.

Premiere works fine on the PC side, not sure why it sucks on the mac side (before they dropped it all together citing competition from FCP). Some people are happy with products like Ulead Videostudio, whats cheasy for your needs might be overkill for somebody else. Dont forget there are people who have been using products like premiere since way back before FCP ever came out and they dont like changing from a product they know inside and out.

Should I start listing products like Autocad and Chemcad that are industry standards but are not made for the mac? You can get mainstream programs for both systems but the PC offers alot of specialties and niches that the mac just does not get into, and probably never will.
Old 08 April 2004, 06:18   #55
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Discjuggler, clonecd, and another I can't think of at the moment are pretty decent. There were some older ones that worked well also during their day Corel ezcd creater (before adaptec purchased it and before it was spun off to roxio), dont think the mac had burning software way back then.

Premiere works fine on the PC side, not sure why it sucks on the mac side (before they dropped it all together citing competition from FCP). Some people are happy with products like Ulead Videostudio, whats cheasy for your needs might be overkill for somebody else. Dont forget there are people who have been using products like premiere since way back before FCP ever came out and they dont like changing from a product they know inside and out.

Should I start listing products like Autocad and Chemcad that are industry standards but are not made for the mac? You can get mainstream programs for both systems but the PC offers alot of specialties and niches that the mac just does not get into, and probably never will.
It's not what I consider cheesy, but what simply is the overabundance of garbage software in every category.
The one or two standout titles in each category is all there really is that's worthy of any praise. AutoCAD isn't available for the Mac, but there is serious CAD for the Mac. ArchiCAD is the one that comes to mind.
Old 08 April 2004, 06:32   #56
Unknown_K

There is crap software for every computer ever made, thats nothing new. Ask 1000 PC users what their favorite cad, word processor, data aquisition, video editing app is and there will be more then 2 programs in each category.

Computers platforms like the amiga didnt die out because you couldnt find hardware to buy, its because nobody was making software for it anymore. There are enough PC supporters to allow some "cheasy" 3rd rate apps to make their developers profit so they stick around and some thrive. Some of those cheasy apps get better over time, some of the top apps get crappy.. but the developers are healthy enough to keep the platform going over the long haul.. which is something apple has to worry about when huge companies like adobe start jumping ship from their product line.
Old 08 April 2004, 06:56   #57
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
There is crap software for every computer ever made, thats nothing new. Ask 1000 PC users what their favorite cad, word processor, data aquisition, video editing app is and there will be more then 2 programs in each category.

Computers platforms like the amiga didnt die out because you couldnt find hardware to buy, its because nobody was making software for it anymore. There are enough PC supporters to allow some "cheasy" 3rd rate apps to make their developers profit so they stick around and some thrive. Some of those cheasy apps get better over time, some of the top apps get crappy.. but the developers are healthy enough to keep the platform going over the long haul.. which is something apple has to worry about when huge companies like adobe start jumping ship from their product line.
Any computer platform needs software to survive, I never mentioned anything to the contrary or even mentioned anything about hardware. Just that for all the PC software on store shelves, the majority of it is garbage. Whether the developers are making money or not isn't the point, but that the software just plain sucks.
Old 08 April 2004, 07:20   #58
Unknown_K

Software is subjective. I think 90% of the games out for the PC this year are crap, but alot of other people like them. There are apps I dont like as well but others do. Just because I dont like the software and call it garbage doesnt mean everybody else has the same taste and needs as I do.

The PC just has more of a selection in hardware and software which is why it has such a commanding lead in users over the mac.
Old 08 April 2004, 10:14   #59
Pyromania

Quote:

Premiere works fine on the PC side, not sure why it sucks on the mac side (before they dropped it all together citing competition from FCP).
Premiere is one of the most terrible video editing programs ever created. Big Bad Burtha Burn is a good CD/DVD burning program for DOS.
Old 08 April 2004, 18:40   #60
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Premiere is one of the most terrible video editing programs ever created. Big Bad Burtha Burn is a good CD/DVD burning program for DOS.
Premiere is absolute cack, nobody in its right mind would use that piece of shit to edit on the PC. The PC alternative to Final Cut Pro is Avid, which is quite similar but FCP is still ahead. But Avid is very good for the PC. HEre everyone in the video/TV field use mostly Avid on PCs, and some have started to switch to Final Cut Pro.

No professional of worth uses Premiere. Its unstability is reason enough to drop it altogether.
AdSense AdSense