English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 March 2004, 01:43   #21
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
So actually, it was effectively sold in April 2003. It's all a bit weird The CEO of this new company was an Amiga Inc. employee, Garry Hare.

Read some of the later documents from this page:

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/
Yup that's the funniest bit, they sold it about a year ago and didn't say one thing
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2004, 01:48   #22
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Man talk about typical amiga news
Old 17 March 2004, 02:38   #23
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Slashdot is covering the amiga OS sale today
Old 17 March 2004, 02:38   #24
Pyromania

The Amiga yet again fires another owner and moves on to the next one.

Old 17 March 2004, 10:49   #25
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Just wait for them to offload it on eBay...
Old 17 March 2004, 13:02   #26
manicx

Well, I believe that Amiga Inc will become a giant again! Commodore started with calculators and became a giant!
Old 17 March 2004, 14:28   #27
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by Methanoid
Face it.. in real terms the AMIGA died with Commodore. Everything since that has been part of the slow death (Escom, Viscorp, Amiga Inc etc).

I have zero interest in AmigaOS 4.0. For me "Classic" Amiga is it...

UAE or Classic Amiga but none of this new crap... IMHO!
Hear hear, the Amiga era didnt die with this today - it ended 10 years ago. Its long over, done and dusted. A part of computing history.

Lets just remember the good times eh?
Old 17 March 2004, 16:08   #28
StarEye
Zone Friend

Congratulations, Amiga Inc. you just sold the best thing about the Amiga, the OS. Now there's absolutely nothing less, Amiga Inc. should no longer have the rights to call themselves Amiga Inc.

Anyway, I wish the Amiga would stay an Amiga, not some cheap ppc/pc alternative. What makes the AmigaOne so much better than a Mac for instance, besides that fact that it (is about to) run AmigaOS, and the fact that there's even less software available for it than on the Mac? Probably the only reason I don't own a Mac, but a PC, is because there's no support on it for games, which is my biggest interest right now. And that's pretty strange, 'cause I don't even play many PC games, but I want to be able to if I want one (the last one I bought was Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon if you don't count the subscription of Best Games which sends one new game each month).

But still, I also think it's fun to push the A1200 to it's fullest, and see how it compares with a PC, in doing everyday tasks (internetsurfing, IRC, FTP, Jabberwocky - or MSN/ICQ on PC, e-mail). I've grown fond of for example Elbox, who created the oh-so-fantastic Mediator cards, which enables me to use cheap PC-components on my Amiga, thus saving a lot of cash from not having to use the expensive Amiga alternatives.

In short, the true Amiga is dead commercially (in which I mean there's only a handful of serious developers left who supports and only exists because of the niche market that's called Amiga-fanatics), but I still use it, and will continue to use it as long as it can do at least half of the tasks my PC can do, simply because it's more fun using an amiga, and the feeling you get when you show people that my 10 year amiga equipped with 5-10 year old PC hardware can look so much better than even today's PCs and do most of the everyday tasks a PC does today almost just as easily is worth all the money I spent on my Amiga the last 10 years.

That's why my Amiga is still my favourite, and the fact that I have nearly 1000 amiga games on my amiga harddrive isn't exactly a downside. My old man joked about if I get divorced, she could have my PC and I would have to keep the Amiga. I didn't see where the joke was...that's what I would have wanted...
Old 17 March 2004, 20:33   #29
SilentBob

I'm also strongly committed to the classic Amiga.

Sure, it may be "dead" or in a zombie sort of a state, but heck, using 'em is still just as fun!

I never was able to part with my A1200, and in later times I even procured an A4000 which I hope to build on to make it more powerful.
Old 18 March 2004, 13:04   #30
Rotr

I gave up on Amiga Inc I guess about a year ago. And I knew there was something wrong when they came up with the idea of the coupons and you had to pay for joining the 'amiga club'

I'm an amiga fan, not a real die hard fan but somebody who has good memories of this machine as it is a part of my youth.
To me the amiga was more about the 'feel' than the hardware though in the beginning this was the same thing.
Although emulation is quite good now and Toni certainly was able to lift it to the next level, for some reason I still don't get the same feel as I had with the real amiga.
Lately, also about a year I guess, I got interested in Aros. To me this is now a worthy possible successor to the Amiga OS. Only thing is, I don't know if it will ever get there because there's not that many people working on it. This project is open source and if the amiga community would back it, I'm sure we would have an OS which could hold it's own in no time.

Just dreaming I guess

Anyway Amiga Inc should no longer use this name because there's absolutely no relation between that company and Amiga
Old 18 March 2004, 17:19   #31
manicx

Yesterday, I went my A4000 for repair (replace 10 capacitors on mobo and 3640). The place I went it to, was the old Commodore dealer in Greece. The whole place was smelling of Amigas!!! Yes, old computers had a strange smell thatyou don't get with modern PCs... Awwwww, Amiga I thought. Indeed, there were Amigas in every single corner of that place. Lovely! So, we will never get this smell again. Who said that Amiga is only about software or hardware. Amiga smells nice!
Old 19 March 2004, 00:07   #32
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Yesterday, I went my A4000 for repair (replace 10 capacitors on mobo and 3640). The place I went it to, was the old Commodore dealer in Greece. The whole place was smelling of Amigas!!! Yes, old computers had a strange smell thatyou don't get with modern PCs... Awwwww, Amiga I thought. Indeed, there were Amigas in every single corner of that place. Lovely! So, we will never get this smell again. Who said that Amiga is only about software or hardware. Amiga smells nice!
ermm yes...

did they look yellow too?
Old 19 March 2004, 09:13   #33
tin
eezeenow!

Quote:
I'd have been happy with:

Boxer Amigas
Siamese "Inside Out" PCI Amiga
Access 5.25 bay Amiga "A1200"
Yeah what happened with that shit? I was itching to buy a boxer for 4 bazillion years while blittersoft kept "announcing" it, and the 12000 different "improvements" which kept delaying it, then suddenly Mick Tinker (I think?) Said "sod this, I'm off, all projects are dead" and ran off into the night!?

Whats that all about? Did they not have enough time to work on it or something?

Why didn't he sod the improvements, get the one he was working on out the door and move on to boxer II? Mad - no wonder nobody made any money!
Old 19 March 2004, 10:22   #34
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
ermm yes...

did they look yellow too?
Strangely enough, no!
Old 19 March 2004, 11:16   #35
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by tin
Yeah what happened with that shit? I was itching to buy a boxer for 4 bazillion years while blittersoft kept "announcing" it, and the 12000 different "improvements" which kept delaying it, then suddenly Mick Tinker (I think?) Said "sod this, I'm off, all projects are dead" and ran off into the night!?

Whats that all about? Did they not have enough time to work on it or something?

Why didn't he sod the improvements, get the one he was working on out the door and move on to boxer II? Mad - no wonder nobody made any money!
I blame Blittersoft aka Shittersoft... They were a commercial business so they should have managed Mick Tinker.

I should have an Access board soon but I would have really liked the Inside Out "Amiga on a PCI card".... oh what a missed opportunity that was...
Old 19 March 2004, 11:58   #36
Bloodwych

Same old, same old. Humph.

Oh well..............

..........who cares? OS 4 can't hold a torch to a certain "Classic WB" setup anyway!
Old 19 March 2004, 12:33   #37
Pyromania

Quote:
I blame Blittersoft aka Shittersoft... They were a commercial business so they should have managed Mick Tinker.

I should have an Access board soon but I would have really liked the Inside Out "Amiga on a PCI card".... oh what a missed opportunity that was...
What about Anti Gravity Products? Don't they get to share any blame?
Old 20 March 2004, 17:26   #38
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Hasn't something similar been said about every company that has bought the 'Amiga'?
Surely you couldn't include describing Commodore's CEO's as being "qualified",Cody?!
Old 21 March 2004, 07:12   #39
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
If you want to blame someone, then blame Mick Tinker. The guy certainly lived up to his name.....never finished any of his Amiga hardware projects from memory. When he ran into problems with one project, he'd start up/return to another. He always cried wolf when he missed a deadline (and there were many!), with the reasons often involving everyone/everything but himself. His Amiga projects died largely because investers like Blittersoft kept seeing shit-all return on their money and eventually got sick of his empty promises to deliver. I also suspect he just didn't have the talent to pull off what were technically quite ambitious projects. As an aside, I think AntiGravity were the only ones who made some money out of Tinker's projects, only because they ripped-off customers who had preordered the BoXer. I'm pretty sure that Blittersoft did the right thing by their customers.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:06   #40
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
If you want to blame someone, then blame Mick Tinker. The guy certainly lived up to his name.....never finished any of his Amiga hardware projects from memory. When he ran into problems with one project, he'd start up/return to another. He always cried wolf when he missed a deadline (and there were many!), with the reasons often involving everyone/everything but himself. His Amiga projects died largely because investers like Blittersoft kept seeing shit-all return on their money and eventually got sick of his empty promises to deliver. I also suspect he just didn't have the talent to pull off what were technically quite ambitious projects. As an aside, I think AntiGravity were the only ones who made some money out of Tinker's projects, only because they ripped-off customers who had preordered the BoXer. I'm pretty sure that Blittersoft did the right thing by their customers.
You obviously choose to ignore all the internet posts from people who were fed up with Blittersoft rips off over PPC cards. Do a Google search for Blizzard PPC Blittersoft and look.

As to the "quite frankly crap" statement about Tinker. Well, Access was finished and quite a few sold. Inside Out was finished but Paul Nolan (of Photogenics fame) didnt finish the s/w and yes, Boxer wasn't.

Could you do any better? Didn't think so...
AdSense AdSense