English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 March 2004, 03:41   #1
Mangar
Got the fever back

Amiga OS Sold By Amiga Inc.

http://www.amiga.com/corporate/15030...aos_sale.shtml

I still curse Commodore every day for screwing up..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 March 2004, 08:38   #2
Akira

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

I'm glad that I am not an Amiga Inc. fanatic anymore.

*pats 3.0 powered A1200*

What does this KMwhatever company have to do with amiga? NOTHING! These are people deploying content for mobiles or networks or shit! What do you think AmigaOS will do in the hands of this people? Yer right.

Now Amiga is nothing but a name. What does it have to do with the Amiga now that they sold the OS? Why don't they rename themselves to the "Mobile Something Something Corporation"
Old 16 March 2004, 08:50   #3
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
So what does this mean for OS 4 and the Amigaone?
Old 16 March 2004, 09:08   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I think Hyperion and Eyetech are taking care of the AmigaOne and OS 4. I never had any respect for Amiga (st)Inc.

I wonder what those pitiful geeks at Ann.lu are saying about it?
Old 16 March 2004, 10:21   #5
Pyromania

Horses for everyone

Old 16 March 2004, 10:27   #6
manicx

So, is this the end of the Amiga Era? Amiga will end up being another company developing mobile phone applications and there are thousands of them out there so this is not actually an Amiga. Ok, now I have to make sure I will replace all these crappy capacitors in my A4ks and ensure that I'll have a REAL amiga for another few years...
Old 16 March 2004, 10:35   #7
fiath

About the direction of Amiga Inc...

I don't get it. They have taken a embedded/fast Java Virtual Machine licensed from the Tao Group and have come out with this Amiga DE stuff, and now they are making that their future direction.

But I don't understand what they can possibly add? Java has gaming facilities already, so what are they doing? Are they adding another (proprietry) gaming API? The only thing I have seen so far is a few games released with the Amiga name...

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 16 March 2004, 10:42   #8
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Face it.. in real terms the AMIGA died with Commodore. Everything since that has been part of the slow death (Escom, Viscorp, Amiga Inc etc).

I have zero interest in AmigaOS 4.0. For me "Classic" Amiga is it...

I would have liked to have seen Mick Tinker succeed with the InsideOut PCI card Amiga to keep Amiga alive inside the now dominant PC but it didnt happen.

UAE or Classic Amiga but none of this new crap... IMHO!
Old 16 March 2004, 10:56   #9
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Actually this isn't the end at all. Amiga Inc. was driving whats left into the ground as they had no money and were basically never in a good situation. This new company has a well qualified CEO with lots of very good business history, and especially, the business has money.

They have scheduled OS4 for release later this year.
Old 16 March 2004, 11:02   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
This new company has a well qualified CEO with lots of very good business history, and especially, the business has money.
Hasn't something similar been said about every company that has bought the 'Amiga'?
Old 16 March 2004, 11:12   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Hasn't something similar been said about every company that has bought the 'Amiga'?
Yep, which is why people are hoping that they don't just sit on it.

But KMOS are also taking an active part in the court cases, so who knows.
Old 16 March 2004, 11:16   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Methanoid
Face it.. in real terms the AMIGA died with Commodore. Everything since that has been part of the slow death (Escom, Viscorp, Amiga Inc etc).

I have zero interest in AmigaOS 4.0. For me "Classic" Amiga is it...

.........UAE or Classic Amiga but none of this new crap... IMHO!
Beautiful. Just perfectly said.
I like OS 3.9 a lot, as well
Old 16 March 2004, 11:21   #13
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Reminds me of a joke that has been going around since the 1920's:

Q: How do you make a small fortune in the airlines buisiness?

A: Start with a large fortune.

I would like to see the buisines plans of those companies so that I can understand how they expect to get any return on their investment. Even when the commodore corpse was still warm people understood that the Wintel platform would have killed off the Amiga even if Commodore management hadnt fucked itself into liquidation, what do people expect to do now 10 years later with the platform?
Old 16 March 2004, 16:35   #14
Mangar
Got the fever back

Well, I feel if Commodore provided better support for the Amiga and came out with the A1200 and A4000 2 years earlier that they would have least have carved enough of a niche that they would be where Apple is now.

I would prefer Amiga to still be a small player than the joke it is now.

For me, the amiga died with Commodore as well.
Old 16 March 2004, 18:05   #15
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
So, is this the end of the Amiga Era?
The Amiga Era ended in 1997 or 1998 man, nothing that came after Commodore went bust was good to the Amiga community. Shit after shit after shit was thrown to the community and they kept on going regardless, supporting these fuckheads. I supported them until 1999 or so, until I got sick of being fistfucked by Amiga Inc. This brings me to the next quote...
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
I wonder what those pitiful geeks at Ann.lu are saying about it?
I wonder what those zealotic gits have to say as well, I'll pay a visit. I bet they will say "KMOS is great you'll see!"....

WTF does KMOS have to do with the Amiga at all? What Amiga experience do they have? IF they do release Amiga OS 4 (End of this year? Wasn't it being released earlier?), it's gonna be the last straw for the Amiga computer.

Amiga Inc. has done it well to bury the Amiga waaaay deep. I also don't understand their situation, and WHY do they have to use the Amiga name in the direction they are taking. At first it kind of made sense. but now?
Old 16 March 2004, 21:58   #16
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
The Amiga Era ended in 1997 or 1998 man, nothing that came after Commodore went bust was good to the Amiga community. Shit after shit after shit was thrown to the community and they kept on going regardless, supporting these fuckheads. I supported them until 1999 or so, until I got sick of being fistfucked by Amiga Inc. This brings me to the next quote... I wonder what those zealotic gits have to say as well, I'll pay a visit. I bet they will say "KMOS is great you'll see!"....
KMOS is great you'll see!

I'm interested in AmigaOS 4 and the future of that product, I don't care that much about anything else (DE, Amiga Inc. etc.). Amiga Inc. some day taking over development of this brilliant product was an awful thought.

They're incompetent and broke. I stopped counting their lies years ago. Their egos are way bigger than their brains (read the "About Amiga" paragraph - the "Multimedia pioneer established in 1985 blah..." crap - they really *do* believe that).

I don't know much about KMOS yet, except that they have money
and their CEO has a pretty impressive track record (in contrast to "BillMcEwen"). *Way* better than Amiga Inc.

Quote:
WTF does KMOS have to do with the Amiga at all? What Amiga experience do they have?
As much as Escom, Viscorp or Gateway, i.e. nothing/none.

The difference is: In contrast to previous owners, they specifically bought AmigaOS, unlike Gateway (who just wanted to increase their patent portfolio) or Amino Inc. (who were only interested in the trademarks and developers blindly following those trademarks).

Quote:
IF they do release Amiga OS 4 (End of this year? Wasn't it being released earlier?), it's gonna be the last straw for the Amiga computer.
"Later this year", not "End of this year". The planned release schedule for OS4 is exactly the same as it was prior to this announcement.

Quote:
Amiga Inc. has done it well to bury the Amiga waaaay deep. I also don't understand their situation, and WHY do they have to use the Amiga name in the direction they are taking. At first it kind of made sense. but now?
It still does make sense, it's about brand recognition. I wouldn't count on DE anyway, I have my doubts that they'll ever come up with something interesting.

They're now "working" on it for four years and nobody has seen anything from DE.
Old 16 March 2004, 22:10   #17
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i totally agree with Methanoid & Mangar, i pulled out of the real amiga scene in '96 and went into the PC errrr scene (that don't sound right)...

a few years ago, i went back to the Amiga scene via emulation and now back to Amiga scene via A1200 & A600 (well only a little)...

everything above 3.0 is news to me, i have literally no knowledge of anything after '97....

to me, Amiga Inc were using the Amiga brand name, but had no relation to what i know about the Amiga computer....

soooo bollocks, i don't care....

i'll buy the company for a quid, and mass produce A4000, really cheap.... selling a retro computer, you what i'd probably sell bucket loads of them on ebay
Old 16 March 2004, 22:11   #18
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
It's not as simple as it seems.

From the Press Release:

Ravensdale, WA - 3:00 pm Pacific Time, March 15, 2004 - Amiga, Inc. announced today that it has sold the Amiga Operating System to KMOS, Inc, allowing Amiga, Inc to focus on the growing mobile market.

On April 23, 2003 Amiga entered into an Agreement with Itec LLC, later acquired by KMOS, Inc. for the transfer and sale of all of Amiga's right, title, source code, and all versions, from the "Classic Amiga Operating System" through AmigaOS 4.0 and all subsequent versions to KMOS, Inc.

----

So actually, it was effectively sold in April 2003. It's all a bit weird The CEO of this new company was an Amiga Inc. employee, Garry Hare.

Read some of the later documents from this page:

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/
Old 16 March 2004, 22:16   #19
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
On April 23, 2003 Amiga entered into an Agreement with Itec LLC, later acquired by KMOS, Inc. for the transfer and sale of all of Amiga's right, title, source code, and all versions, from the "Classic Amiga Operating System" through AmigaOS 4.0 and all subsequent versions to KMOS, Inc.
does this mean we can share out workbench and kickstarts because KMOS don't have a clue!

take a gander at amiga.org, this way , are they sheep or what
Old 16 March 2004, 22:20   #20
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i totally agree with Methanoid & Mangar, i pulled out of the real amiga scene in '96 and went into the PC errrr scene (that don't sound right)...

i'll buy the company for a quid, and mass produce A4000, really cheap.... selling a retro computer, you what i'd probably sell bucket loads of them on ebay
Thanks... I'm always right

Seriously tho... I wish someone HAD....

I'd have been happy with:

Boxer Amigas
Siamese "Inside Out" PCI Amiga
Access 5.25 bay Amiga "A1200"

or more recently the Nueron... now if that had been an AGA A1200 with Coldfire I would have been "well pleased"... :eek
AdSense AdSense