English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 September 2001, 00:55   #21
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

In a word NO the only time I get problems is when they don't actually have the file I'm trying to download, then I just get a 404 error.

A little secret for you, when LGD is back online, expect a new release of WinSTon, but if anyone asks, you ain't seen me right
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 September 2001, 00:56   #22
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by IanCharge
I don't think anyone is really down on the games industry I think the problem is some of us (including me) don't have the same passion for playing games as we did in our Amiga days (ie Our youth for some of us)

My friends and I were only seperated from our computers when we had to goto school and learn *Spit* nowadays I can barely bring myself to play any games at all.

Softco's DO still release more crap games than they shoould though
Yep, tiem is an issue, but I am as passionate about them as I was before, if not more (since now I have more cash and I can buy whatever teh bloody hell I want )

The big difference is taht, when we started, teh industry was not an uindustry, it was hobbyists coding games for fun in their houses, teh typical 'bedroom coder'... This is what's lost today, it all went too mainstream and became a huge, huge business.

Money corrupts
Old 07 September 2001, 01:11   #23
RCK
Administrator

Lightbulb Tips

Another url for Little Green Desktop : http://www.atarist.com/
Old 07 September 2001, 06:06   #24
Frog

Hardware St Emulator

I just recently discover that it exists an hardware ST Emulator for Amiga called : Medusa. In fact i guess it should be harder to find this card than a real ST Well it was just for info.
Old 07 September 2001, 09:38   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have the Medusa software. Didn't know there was any hardware for it, as I was always able to make it work for me just from the floppy.
Old 07 September 2001, 13:21   #26
Puzzle

Cool. Does it work well? Does it work for games, or just serious software?
Old 07 September 2001, 15:13   #27
Frog

Medusa

Wow Could you upload the Medusa Software please, i would like to see how it's running.

I don't know if it's linked with the hardware Medusa emulator as i think Medusa was the codename of Atari ST (?)
Old 08 September 2001, 11:47   #28
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, y'all'r in luck. I actually had that one already xferr'd from my Amiga. This is probably the net debut since I've not seen it anywhere else. I loaded it up in WinUAE 8.8r8 and had no luck with the only 2 configs I tried, but I'm just not persistent. Feel free, those of you who bang through configs, versions and various emulators and let me know if you get it to work (and how).

Here's what little I remember about it:

I d/l it from Ice Station Zebra back in 1990 and had never seen an ST running (so didn't really know what to expect). Since there was an Amiga vs ST rivalry, I figured it had to be decent. All the other ST emulators I'd tried were joke hacks, but I'd read about this one already.

I can't remember my system at the time...may have been the A2000 but was more likely the A500 with 1meg Agnus. The menu loader was in German, but it was simple enough to figure out. Ultimately, there I was at the Atari desktop. Major disappointment right off the bat. What was with that color palette and resolution? And that ultra goofy mouse pointer that looked like a fly! Abysmal! I looked around the OS, which I also found underwhelming. Like a poor man's Amiga and a poor man's Mac SE rolled into one. So I now needed software.

I dare not waste my elite credits on pirate boards downloading ST stuff, so I hacked a free account with Compuserve and grabbed a Pacman clone, some game with apples and some silly trampoline jumping game. The latter two worked perfectly, but no luck with the Pacman clone.

And that was basically it. I never got around to finding any other ST stuff like warez (I think I may have found one game that I couldn't get to work...probably my original Starglider II combo Amiga/ST disk).

The disk also has the ancient Amiga copy program ACopy and DOS2DOS, which is needed to transfer ST files to (PC formatted 720k) disk. I'm pretty sure it needs two disk drives to work proper.

Have fun!
Old 09 September 2001, 14:07   #29
Frog

Medusa

Thanks a lot Twistin'Ghost !!

It was the other ST emulator i was seeking with Chameleon

It doesn't seems to be easy to make it run on A1200, i could have a try on my old A500 later.
Old 10 September 2001, 00:12   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It should work on your A500 with no probs. Let us know how it works for you.
Old 10 September 2001, 00:33   #31
Frog

far, far away...

As i've not my A500 here, i've no idea at all when i could have a look to the emulator, but i'll try to keep you inform. Other A500 owners are welcome to says if it works and how
Old 21 September 2001, 02:38   #32
Amigaboy

That's a nice pic

Old 22 September 2001, 12:29   #33
Frog

Hit

Tons of "souvenirs" hit my head... The little bee isn't dead

Thanks !
Old 20 January 2005, 14:51   #34
Marcuz
Wurk???

i was just mining when i stumbled in this thread, the title being nice, and alas i never had a real Atari...
Old 20 January 2005, 16:27   #35
Thoth Amon

Quote:
, but i still own an Atari 800XL
With 16Ko Memory, and no disk drive...
As far as I know, all 800XLs came with 64KB of RAM. The 600XL, on the other hand, came with 16KB.

Old 20 January 2005, 16:55   #36
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
I wanted an ST-E when I was looking to step up from my Amstrad CPC, but then my mate Dave bought an A500...

Thanks, Dave
Old 20 January 2005, 17:11   #37
manicx

I had an Atari 520STFM with a 512MB RAM expansion (1MB total) back in late 80s early 90s. Unfortunately, due to a minor problem (my ST fell down after coming back home from a computer party), the ST died. I later bought a STE with 4 Megs of RAM that I still have today.
Old 21 January 2005, 11:31   #38
Pyromania

The Atari ST well..... you know, blows.
AdSense AdSense