English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 September 2001, 00:22   #1
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Atari ST confessional!

Who owns or has owned an Atari ST? It's now time to confess - I did for twelve months I thought it was a good machine! The Amiga was better for sure, but the Atari ST will always have a place in my heart!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 September 2001, 00:35   #2
Riempie
Amiga freak

My dad bought an Atari ST 520 for himself and for me to play some games on. I was tired of loading those cassettes on the Commodore 16 (yes, 16!) Off course my dad didn't do anything usefull with it, so I bought some games for it, 50 originals in total (some game packs...) Then I saw a friend of mine with an A500 and later A1200 and that's when I wanted one too, so now I have 2 A1200's, totally Amiga-freaked!
Old 05 September 2001, 01:53   #3
RCK
Administrator

I have never owned my personal Atari ST, but I have played on this nice little computer during years into my friends house

(off topic: music of IK+ on Atari ST is much better than the Amiga version)
Old 05 September 2001, 02:05   #4
Frog

Guilty !

I got an Atari 520 STF I must say that i really enjoy it. My first step into the "scene" was on Atari. Believe me, there is lot of marvellous demos on this computer. For example they often used a so called "main menu" which became in some demos a small game where you can choose the different part. As Amiga, i think this computer also have a soul... well people give him one.
I sold it to get my A500 (one year later) and i was really impressed by the sound !

For people who would like to find again the ST feeling on their amiga, they should try the B.I.G demo converted by MrStyckx (available on Aminet) and enjoyed all those Mad Max tunes

BTW is anybody know an ST emulator on Amiga ? I got Chameleon and another one in the past but unfortunately i lost them
I think they was really crap but i would like to see again if it's possible to do something with them.

A bit sad there's no good ST emulator for Amiga user... certainly due to this stupid war between them

PS : ATARI RULEZ )
Old 05 September 2001, 09:33   #5
Puzzle

ST-emulator for the Amiga

I remember trying one, many years ago. It required two diskdrives, and it was really crap.

I remember trying the game "Starball" (a pinball-game), and it ran really slowly.

I don't know why they haven't made a decent ST-emulator for the Amiga yet.. I don't think it would be much harder than making a Mac-emulator, at least not for running system-friendly TOS/GEM-software.

Here's a challenge for Amiga-coders:

Write an ST-emulator for the Amiga!!!
Old 05 September 2001, 09:34   #6
Amigaboy

What for?

You can pick up an ST incredibly cheap nowadays. Same can be said for Amiga's, C64's, C128's, Old Sega's, Old Nintendo's, and virtually every other thing released in the 80s/early 90s

Old 05 September 2001, 09:56   #7
Walker

What about an Atari emulator that runs in an Amiga, emulating a C64? Maybe we could add a Vic 20 emulator inside the C64 emulator that is running in the Atari emulator on the Amiga? Of course, the Amiga isnīt a real Amiga but an Amiga emulator for the PC.

*sigh*

Sometimes this whole emulation thing really annoys me. Get the real thing, dammit!
Old 05 September 2001, 10:43   #8
Puzzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
What for?

You can pick up an ST incredibly cheap nowadays. Same can be said for Amiga's, C64's, C128's, Old Sega's, Old Nintendo's, and virtually every other thing released in the 80s/early 90s
True.

But what's good about emulators, is that you can emulate hardware that would be expensive or hard to find. Think about UAE's Picasso96-emulation, for example.

Of course, getting the real thing, if all you want to do is to play games, is best.
Old 05 September 2001, 13:18   #9
Leto2

I have never owned an Atari ST, but i still own an Atari 800XL
With 16Ko Memory, and no disk drive...
But I have plaid with it with my marvelous game cartridges and i have spent hours developping little programs (and write them on paper, to save my work) with the ROM-included BASIC...
Old 05 September 2001, 18:53   #10
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I used to have an Atari ST, it was my brothers hand-me-down when he got an Amiga (The Bastard)

I have nothing bad to say about the ST as it's my first ever real computer, I also dabbled in cracking for it and was part of a little known Derby hacking group.

Yes I cut my teeth on the ST, on it's own it is a quality computer, it's only when you compare it to the might Miggy that it looks shit
Old 05 September 2001, 20:33   #11
Akira

I tried to buy a 520STFM about a year ago. Teh bloody seller didnt want to ship i tto me!

I always liekd almost every computer, and never got into any system wars, except against PCs (I still maintain my position about this today )

I wanted a 65XE, an XE Game System, and a 520ST. But never got one

I will get them SOON . Yesterday I got another C128 (NTSC, sucks!), and a fabulous MSX computer.
Old 06 September 2001, 00:29   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ok. I am surprised I have not seen this one..I am the resident Atari st dude in this board. I regularly suggest games on the Atari St emus if they can't work on Amiga emus.
I won't rehash what i've said about how I bought the Atari from my buddy, who jumped ship and got an Amiga.
I had an Atari mega STe w 16 mhz and a whopping 1 mb RAM!!
This machine, now dead, gave me hours of fun playing DoTC, Lemmings, Their Finest Hour , etc. superb in many respects, I always felt it was apoor man's Amiga. Most of the games were as close as possible, but many were better on my bud's Amiga. Also, towards the end of 92, I saw game production for the Atari fall off. I blame piracy, and those damn pompey pirates and Medway Boys comp disks. Its rare to find full games online anymore. i'd gladly buy a real ST , but my apartment is cramped and I need space. This IS New York, you know thats another benefit of emulation..no need for space to taken up by boxes of games, for monitors, keyboards, etc.
So owning an Atari St is NOT a confessional, but a badge of pride. It blew the shit off the doors of Pc's right up till 92-93.
Old 06 September 2001, 22:49   #13
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Re: ST-emulator for the Amiga

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
Here's a challenge for Amiga-coders:

Write an ST-emulator for the Amiga!!!
Isn't/wasn't there an emulator for the ST on the Amiga years ago? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, god knows if it actually worked though.
Old 06 September 2001, 23:04   #14
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

What's the point in an ST emulator? Just either run an emulator on a PC or even better, just buy one! I wish I never sold my STFM. Defender of the Crown was somehow better on that machine (I think someone has already said this on another thread)

Anyway its time to look to the future and hope some games designers get there act together, so we can have another golden age of gaming! BTW Joust on the ST rocked!
Old 06 September 2001, 23:20   #15
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombjacker
Anyway its time to look to the future and hope some games designers get there act together, so we can have another golden age of gaming! BTW Joust on the ST rocked!
It's funny, alot of threads of this type ALWAYS bring up this same sort of comment. Why don't the bloody softco's listen
Old 06 September 2001, 23:25   #16
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Coz they are fackin idiots! I reckon us lot could come up with better ideas than those in the game! Altho I am not as down on the gaming industry as some, I can still see that most if it is a load of old garbage! In the good old days of the Speccy, there was at least one game worth buying every month! It saddens me that you can wait six months to find anything really worth the cash these days.
Old 06 September 2001, 23:34   #17
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I don't think anyone is really down on the games industry I think the problem is some of us (including me) don't have the same passion for playing games as we did in our Amiga days (ie Our youth for some of us)

My friends and I were only seperated from our computers when we had to goto school and learn *Spit* nowadays I can barely bring myself to play any games at all.

Softco's DO still release more crap games than they shoould though
Old 06 September 2001, 23:42   #18
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I think I agree with you! I don't have the same passion for games either!In fact I can't remember the last time I really played a game for more than five minutes! Probably over a month ago! There seems to be too much other things to do! Wish I didn't have to go to work and I reckon I would get the bug again! If there were some decent new games that is! Does anyone want to give me an ST? I think I miss it more than I do my Amiga, probably coz I still have one of those!
Old 07 September 2001, 00:37   #19
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Just in case you don't know BombJacker (Or anyone else interested for that matter) THIS site has some great Atari ST forums (And also shit loads of software when it's properly back online)
Old 07 September 2001, 00:43   #20
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Already knew about that one! But thanx anyway! I had Winston before I ever bothered with Amiga emus! I just wish the Little Green Desktop would come back! Climatics is a pain in the arse do download for me! Anyone else have problems with this site?
AdSense AdSense