English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 February 2004, 03:03   #1
Frank

Amiga is it worth it

Ill appreciate some advice. Im considering buying a Amiga setup, (an 1200 or 4000) does the Amiga have any software not available for the PC or Macintosh platforms that can be classed as being "killer applications" of real worth. Also is Internet connectivity an easy task on the Amiga, what modem manufactures are re recommended and browser software to use.

And can anybody suggest good shareware software sites for the Amiga.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 February 2004, 03:05   #2
RetroMan

Re: Amiga is it worth it

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
The one and only ............ -> AMINET
Old 15 February 2004, 03:18   #3
jmmijo

Quote:

and be sure to check out the AMINET mirrors too
Old 15 February 2004, 03:37   #4
RetroMan

Ok, Ill try to answer the first part of your post too

With a good equipped Amiga setup (and I do NOT mean an out-of-the-box A4000 for example) you will not come accross ANY so called "Killer-App"

Well, you may be able to do the same things as you do with your Mac/PC system but most things are a lot slower .....

For example theres still no Office Pack available for Amiga .... and still no Amiga Browser with Java etc.

If you want to buy an Amiga to REPLACE your Mac/PC .... just dont do it because you will be disappointed for sure .....

I have done this, since my PC broke down, Im currently only using my old, trusty A2000 with 060 CPU and my A4000 with 040 CPU but its a lot fiddling around with slow and incompatible Software ....

I can of course listen to mp3s and watch movies, but the quality and speed is a bit ...... uhmmmmm ...... bad ....

And of course I can play games, but Im limited to one or two new games that come out in a year ..... thats not the point for me cause I love playing the old games on my A500 anyway

In my opinion, working with an Amiga is still more fun than working with MacOS/Linux/Windows but you need to be stress proved and you must be able to spend a LOT of money to get a REALLY FAST Amiga system (PPC, PCI, USB, whatever) .......

An Amiga is a good computer, but if you want it to replace any other Computer setup ..... you really have to be an Amiga Fanatic
Old 15 February 2004, 05:16   #5
Akira

Agreed with Retro here. You will find no "killer apps" in the classic Amiga platform, even if you own a PPC accelerator.

I consider Deluxe Paint IV to be a killer app, but that alone would not justify me switching completely, since most of the work I do has to be done in Mac or PC environments (for they do have the "killer apps" I need for my work).

If you tell us specifically what you are looking for with the Amiga we can help you further, but Retroman has given a pretty damn good generic guideline for anyone trying to embark into the Amiga with the intention of ditching the pc/mac in the way.

As for modems and software, you will be catered for in these areas. I remember using a standard Supra Fax/Modem 33.6 for my internet duties, along with Miami, and all that worked well... On my A1200 with a 68030@50 and no FPU. I could browse the EAB at 64 colors, using AWeb-II, at the same speed I browsed the EAB when I had my Pentium 133Mhz.
Old 15 February 2004, 05:57   #6
Pyromania

Quote:
Ill appreciate some advice. Im considering buying a Amiga setup, (an 1200 or 4000) does the Amiga have any software not available for the PC or Macintosh platforms that can be classed as being "killer applications" of real worth. Also is Internet connectivity an easy task on the Amiga, what modem manufactures are re recommended and browser software to use.

I have three words for you Frank that make the Amiga worth it, Video Toaster 4000! Sure you can get a Video Toaster for the PC if you have about $10,000 for a system that handle it including the Toaster card. Amiga Video Toasters can be had for as little as $75 or for free if your a programmer.

http://www.openvideotoaster.org
Old 15 February 2004, 08:58   #7
Frank

Thanks for the tips people.

Old 15 February 2004, 20:49   #8
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Agreed with Retro here. You will find no "killer apps" in the classic Amiga platform, even if you own a PPC accelerator.
Bah! Bars & Pipes, man. Bars & Pipes! The best MIDI sequencer ever made. I'm talking pure MIDI. No audio, no software synths or multitracking (without extra hardware), but MIDI editing and playback. There is no other program like it.
Old 16 February 2004, 02:26   #9
SilentBob

There must be a reason why they ported apps like Lightwave to the PC.
Old 16 February 2004, 06:42   #10
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
Bah! Bars & Pipes, man. Bars & Pipes! The best MIDI sequencer ever made. I'm talking pure MIDI. No audio, no software synths or multitracking (without extra hardware), but MIDI editing and playback. There is no other program like it.
Hey, you are like me, but for Joe Punter, Bars n Pipes means pish all, they will all be wanting Cubase SX or Logic Pro.

You will notice in my post I mention Deluxe Paint IV as a killer app, and to me, it is. Best pixelling tool ever , EVER! But lots of people willl say that they can do the same with Photoshop. bah.
Old 16 February 2004, 23:48   #11
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

You will notice in my post I mention Deluxe Paint IV as a killer app, and to me, it is. Best pixelling tool ever , EVER! But lots of people willl say that they can do the same with Photoshop. bah.
gays, for sure.
Old 20 February 2004, 08:57   #12
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
Can you please tell me the difference between BarsnPipes1.23 and Bars&PipesPro 2.5
Old 20 February 2004, 09:22   #13
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT
gays, for sure.
I would say plain stupid, instead.

You know how irreplaceable DPaint is, judas. Just like me.
AdSense AdSense