English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2004, 16:22   #1
manicx

6GB HD under WB 3.1

Which is the best way to see the >4GB partitions under WB3.1? I want to install SFS too. I knew that SFS cures the problem but I found that after a specific version it doesn't work and you need either OS3.9 with the boing ball patches or IDEFix... Any suggestions?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 February 2004, 05:47   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: 6GB HD under WB 3.1

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Which is the best way to see the >4GB partitions under WB3.1? I want to install SFS too. I knew that SFS cures the problem but I found that after a specific version it doesn't work and you need either OS3.9 with the boing ball patches or IDEFix... Any suggestions?
Boing ball ?

HAHAHAHAHA /me rolls on the floor laughing.

boing bag.
Old 04 February 2004, 07:22   #3
jmmijo

Re: Re: 6GB HD under WB 3.1

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb

boing bag.
Well the first part was correct

Thing is this really should just be called an OS patch, that's what it is you know
Old 04 February 2004, 10:34   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Is SFS faster than FFS?
Old 04 February 2004, 12:51   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Is SFS faster than FFS?

Certainly. SFS is much faster than FFS.
Old 12 July 2004, 09:58   #6
manicx

So, I spend my while weekend trying to install the 6GB hard disk on a bog standard 3.1 Amiga.

I tried SFS 1.84 at first that is supposed to regognise HDs>4GB... Indeed I saw the full 6GBs in HDToolbox. I succesfully partitioned the Drive and made three partitions. The first was 100Mb, the second was 2 GBs and the third was the remaining one (<4GB). I formatted dh0, dh1 and everything was okay. After formatting dh2, the HD was messed up. Formatting the 3rd partition always caused me troubles.

Then I decided to use the latest release of SFS. As people said, it doesn't see a HD larger than 6GB. Well, you see it in HDToolbox, but if you set your HD to use all 6GB, the last partition that is in the +4GB area doesn't appear in the WB. Move the slider down and leave 2 GBs of unpartitioned space and there you are.

I then decided again to use 1.84 and leave 2GB of unpartitioned space. It works, the HD is formatted succesfully but you are missing the 2GBs... I wanted to try AFS, but I couldn't locate the documentation and didn't know the damn identifier... Hope to find it and try with it as well...

It seems to me that on a bog standard 3.1 A1200, I can't see HD > 4GB. I don't want to install OS3.9 + Boing Bags 1+ 2 since the Amiga only has 2 MBs of RAM and I don't want to end up with 800Kb of free memory. Well, even 4GBs are okay considering that I got this HD for free !
Old 12 July 2004, 10:47   #7
ant512

You either need to install a patched scsi.device or enable "direct SCSI" in SFS in order to use large drives.

Patched SCSI devices are included with IDEFix and the EIDE'99 package. Direct SCSI only works in old versions of SFS (you might have the correct version, but can't be using the direct SCSI version). Alternatively, you can get the patched version of FFS from the Aminet, which has a direct SCSI option (search for "TD64").

At the moment, although the filesystem will happily use large drives, the SCSI driver is causing data from the end of the drive to get written over the start of the drive. The heirarchy looks like this:

Drive -> SCSI.device -> Filesystem -> HDToolBox
Old 12 July 2004, 11:05   #8
thomas

You don't need any patches. Just use quick format. There is no need to use full format on a HDD, no matter if it is bigger than 4GB or not.

The Format program cannot look past the 4GB barrier, so you must not use full format for partitions above the 4GB limit. The same is true for other programs accessing the HDD directly, without DOS: DiskSalv, ReOrg, ShapeShifter, PC-Task etc. Never use one of these programs on a partition which has parts of it behind the 4GB limit.

Quote:
Drive -> SCSI.device -> Filesystem -> HDToolBox
No, the correct way is:

Drive -> scsi.device -> FileSystem -> DOS -> Application

and

Drive -> scsi.device -> HDToolbox
Drive -> scsi.device -> Format
Drive -> scsi.device -> DiskSalv etc.

The problem is the interface of scsi.device. The standard interface uses 32bit commands which can address up to 4GB. So if you need another interface to access the area above 4GB, all the programs have to be exchanged by version which use this interface. (Note that HDToolbox does not *access* the partitions. It just asks the drive how big it is and writes this information into the first few blocks of the drive. So it is safe to use HDToolbox on any drive, even if it reports wrong sizes.)

The only alternate interface the standard scsi.device offers is SCSI-Direct. This is used by SFS up to version 1.84, but not by any other program. So don't use them.

Last edited by thomas; 12 July 2004 at 11:11.
Old 12 July 2004, 16:15   #9
manicx

So Thomas (hey I was actually expecting you to pop in ), you say that if I use the SFS 1.84 with Quick format, it will work? That full format thing killed the other partitions and I had to repartition again...
Old 12 July 2004, 16:26   #10
thomas

Yes.

But you should always double check which program to let act on the last (<4GB) partition. Everything writing to it with 32bit commands will give you a similar result as your format attempt. This will not change with IDEfix or OS3.9. Every program which does low-level write accesses to the HDD and does not check if the result of multiplying two 32bit numbers still fit into 32 bits might cause harm to the data in the first 4GB of your HDD.
Old 12 July 2004, 16:30   #11
ant512

Thanks for the corrections, Thomas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
The only alternate interface the standard scsi.device offers is SCSI-Direct. This is used by SFS up to version 1.84, but not by any other program. So don't use them.
Don't forget TD64, the 64-bit version of FFS - that uses SCSI-Direct, too.
Old 12 July 2004, 20:03   #12
manicx

Just a final question to you guys. Thomas, you said that this will not change with IDEFix or OS3.9. You mean that it will not change ie it won't do anything for the problem or exactly the opposite that will solve the problem. I am basically fully registered with IDEFix so I need to know... Of course, I am not using a buffered IDE interface, just the standard A1200 IDE....
Old 12 July 2004, 20:34   #13
thomas

IDEfix provides both TD64 and NSD functionality and fixes SCSI-Direct, so you can choose from a variety of filesystems providing large hdd support, e.g. PFS3, SFS, FastFileSystem V43+. But providing functionality does not fix pograms which do not use these functions, so you still must not use full format, ReOrg, DiskSalv, AmibackTools, QuarterbackTools, DynamiCache, ShapeShifter, PC-Task, PCx and probably many more on partitions beyond the 4GB border.
Old 13 July 2004, 09:22   #14
manicx

Okay guys, thanks a million for your valuable help...
AdSense AdSense