English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 November 2004, 21:58   #21
oldpx

Several goldbox games. Might work with death knights of krynn for example:

If you have 255 hit points and gain a level, the additional hit points will not add up because it will return to 0 and then start from 1.

If you set the character's constitution to minimum allowed (probably 3) In the character creation screen, then you can decrease his hit points below 1 which gives 0 then 255 hit points! Then you can safely increase the constitution. It is best to leave the value between 210-230 because you level up and gain hit points eventually.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 November 2004, 23:02   #22
LAJ

Well this is more of an bodge than a bug. Mission 3 (I think it was) of Apocalypse ran on disk 2. Worked fine...until you died.

'Insert Disk 3'

*You insert disk 3. It loads for a bit. You await for something spectacular to happen* ...

'Mission Failed. Insert disk 2'

I mean, surely they could have fit 'Mission Failed' onto disk 2 so that you don't have to insert another disk to get told that you have failed the mission. If I remember correctly there are quite a few bodges in this game. Seems like a rush job. Quite a good game though
Old 29 November 2004, 08:50   #23
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
In Indy Heat you can go through walls in some tracks, saving some time and getting ahead those irritating computer drivers .

NO, not a nasty bug but a neat one...
Old 29 November 2004, 11:26   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There are various bugs in Ambermoon (English version) which was never officially released, but released by myself and my Thalion Webshrine in 1998 after I got the Authors to hunt around the attic.

Because it had never been beta tested (unlike the released german version) a few bugs had slipped through.

I dunno if anyone is interested but here is a list of all the ones I've found and with help fixed, although as no-one ever volunteered to test the patch I never released it.

1) Burnville - Map labels in German
2) Snakesign - Map labels in German
3) Newlake - Map labels in German
4) LUMINOR's TOWER 3 - text on the door to Valdyn causes crash
5) BEAST's CAVE - Skeleton's text causes crash
6) PALACE OF PELANIS - bad German -> English translation imposible hint
7) TEMPLE OF GALA - crystal ball's text causes crash
8) TEMPLE OF GALA - bad German -> English translation impossible hint
9) ILLIEN - riddlemouth in SE corner cannot be answered due to two "ring" in the dictionaryenglish.file
10) WHIRLPOOL - missed textblock causes crash
11) LYRAMION [0,0] - bug when sailing/flying near this point causes crash
12) SAND LIZARD - untranslated from German 'SANDCHSE'
13) SANSRIE'S TUNNEL - SANSRIE'S KEY doesnt open tunnel door
14) PELANIS - Several entries refer to 'PELANIS' as 'PELANI'
15) SANSRIES TEMPLE - mismatched textures between 2nd and 3rd and 1st and second floors ( down has stairs going up and up has stairs going down )
16) ILLIEN : 'Lendrai's Magic Weapon: open 9 AM to 7 PM' should be '9 AM to 5 PM'
17) WINDGATES : Bitmap corruption at Gemstone (310;736) and Illien (283;250)
18) ($B4) vs ($27) - All the 'S places i.e. WITCH's HOUSE had a ($B4) instead of a ($27) hence didnt show up as "'S"
19) LIBARY - typo in dictionary file, LIBARY instead of LIBRARY
20) MOP - "Mother-o-pearl chai" instead of "MOTHER OF PEARL CHAIN"
21) "CHAMBERS OF THE HEAD PRIEST" : word too long for map view
22) Zombie Meister - not translated from German 'MASTER'
24) Thieves' Guild shop : Open from 1PM to 8PM should be "1 AM to 8 AM"
25) Father Antonius mismatch - Bad translation to Anthony.
26) Lebab's Tower Brass - "hangs a parchment::" too many ":"
Old 29 November 2004, 11:50   #25
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Go on, release it anyway or patched ADFs.. U know U wanna!!!
Old 29 November 2004, 12:37   #26
Tolismlf

Also bought the BAT original and it didn't boot! What a waste of money! I tried to give it back where i bought it and they said the game was OK, you broke it! That was a 30 euro for nothing.
Old 29 December 2004, 03:56   #27
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
The Deep, a very rare game (i. e. original) from Emerald Software, 1988.
Corrupt graphics in level 6.
Today, I could finally be arsed to re-count the levels and build a lot of screenshots (soon in HOL).
(About the huge skips: this is a very old HOL entry. I had to break down the screenshot number a lot when the screenshot limit of 8 was still existing...)

BTW, my way of counting the levels was by increasing the level number after every stage with those rockets you have to shoot with lasers in order not to let them hit the ships sailing from right to left.

The graphics corruption even happens if the CAPS version is played from disk.
Reportedly by several users, this is fixed by using the WHD install. Unfortunately though, this still means that faulty copies were thrown on the Amiga games market in 1988/89.

Last edited by andreas; 29 December 2004 at 04:11.
Old 29 December 2004, 07:29   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Crackdown US Gold wasn't mastered properly, hence the last level didn't work.

Tip Off was the name of the Anco Basketball game that had to be removed from sale because it was so riddled with bugs.

Supremacy had a bug where if you went through various menus in a certain order, when you went to view what was happening on a certain planet, it would corrupt the name of the planet.

Fighter Bomber had an language option of English or French. It didn't matter what you selected, only English worked. Also the collision detection didn't work on certain levels, the Mount Rushmore being the most obvious... you could fly through it!

Premier Manager 3 Deluxe had to be bodged. In one of the Football competitions if you beat one team, and they were knocked out of the competition, they would appear again later on in the competition because of a bug.
Old 29 December 2004, 17:58   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Crack Down... that was the game where you had to keep the mousebutton pressed after switching disks to get it to boot if I can remember correctly...
Old 29 December 2004, 19:31   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
Crack Down... that was the game where you had to keep the mousebutton pressed after switching disks to get it to boot if I can remember correctly...

That would be unlikely as it only came on one disk...
Old 30 December 2004, 00:56   #31
Ironclaw
Banned

Many Amiga games has bugs, so I don't bother mention those I know... BUT, just found the first bug in Dune. I was going to a sietch which is just next to the one I'm going from. For some reason the game doesn't allow me to travel there without going around the whole world!, ffs, I'm next to it!.. so I lost a half day going to a sietch like 3 meters away.
Old 30 December 2004, 10:58   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

galahad: you are right. I remember getting the game in a (US Gold?) compilation pack, which were all games that came on one disk. But I could have sworn you had to keep the mousebutton pressed to get it to boot.
Old 30 December 2004, 13:31   #33
Photon

My favorite, Gravity-Force, has a bug on 1.3 and later Kickstarts: After entering a high score, it Guru's. You can get past it by quickly hitting Enter (start a new game) an extra time before it has time to Guru! It also works perfectly with Kick 1.2. Apparently Stephan Wenzler uses some system variables in his track save routine.
Old 30 December 2004, 21:05   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
My favorite, Gravity-Force, has a bug on 1.3 and later Kickstarts: After entering a high score, it Guru's. You can get past it by quickly hitting Enter (start a new game) an extra time before it has time to Guru! It also works perfectly with Kick 1.2. Apparently Stephan Wenzler uses some system variables in his track save routine.
I'm pretty sure Gravity Force is one of those daft early games that directly accesses the kickstart ROM hence why it fails on later kickstarts
Old 31 December 2004, 17:56   #35
Hillsy_

Awesome springs to mind. Wouldn't let you get past the second planet.

Elite II had a problem with the autopilot but it was easily rectified by advancing time to the fullest.

Eye of the Beholder II had a strange bug with the 9 pressure plates. I think it was located in the ant level...a place where you couldn't go to sleep due to nightmares??? Long time ago...

Captive was another one. Mr Captive man will agree, I'm sure If you got to Base 2 Station 3 you couldn't insert a certain card because it was behind the door you had to get past. luckily later, people wrote in about it and it was made accessible by Amiga magazines. Hmm..I thought the flying lizards were bad, nothing compared to the lightning quick black trolls.

Happy Gaming,
Old 31 December 2004, 20:12   #36
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
I'm pretty sure Gravity Force is one of those daft early games that directly accesses the kickstart ROM hence why it fails on later kickstarts
I'm not that "pretty sure"!
Photon has just told me that he did NOT play from the original disk.
Unless I haven't tested this behavior with a real original disk on my A1000 with various kickstart disks, I'm not going to believe anything.
Or should you assume that just if there's no crack intro or anything of this sort found on the disk, the game does not happen to be cracked anyway either? I think you shouldn't. There were cracking groups with lots of decency (like HQC - High Quality Cracks Inc.) who really caused me a helluva lot of work until I eventually figured out that the game was cracked by HQC - very WELL hidden. Without a doubt though, better than too blatant intros.
Old 01 January 2005, 21:37   #37
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Frontier had dozens of bugs...

The autopilot would crash from time to time if you tried to dock in a planet, but this only happens if you use the accelerated time. Do it in real time and this never happens.

If you buy a passenger cabin, get some passengers and then try to sell the ship, you will be told you can't sell it because it has passengers, but you STILL get the money for it.

If you try to bribe a cop and he doesn't accept its, your fine will be raised. Keep on trying to bribe the cop, and the bill will keep on raising, up until it gets back to something like 100 credits, so you can easily pay it.

There are planets that if you get too close of it, the gravity of it will pull your ship, and then you just WON'T be able to take off again, and you are stuck in the planet. (Well, that may be realistic and intentional, but it's pretty stupid)

If you get in the galaxy map, and choose a VERY VERY far system to go, you get an "on range" signal, and then you are able to fly to this system with just a 1t of fuel. I never found any use to this though, as those systems are pretty much useless.

On an ordinary A500, if you fired a laser docked in a planet, you would be attacked by the cops... but you are attacked by SO MANY Vipers that the game just drops to 1 frame at every 3 seconds, and it's just impossible to survive... (Ok, that's not exactly a bug, but it's also really stupid)

UNLESS... I don't remember exactly how to do it, but there was something about after being attacked by the vipers, you could land in a certain way, and instead of the vipers shooting at you, they would all crash in the ground (And all the explosions would make the frame rate even worse)

still a great game
AdSense AdSense