English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 January 2004, 19:52   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Who was the jackass that killed Europe CBM?

On the Atari forums, I was reading a neat thred about Falcon vs Amiga.
Page to the bottom of this thread

Is that how the Amiga or CBM or whatever went under?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 January 2004, 20:14   #2
Music lord
Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Re: Who was the jackass that killed Europe CBM?

Originally posted by Frederic
On the Atari forums, I was reading a neat thred about Falcon vs Amiga.
Page to the bottom of this thread

Is that how the Amiga or CBM or whatever went under?
It's all nonsense. Not sure which country was "Commodore Europe", I can't find any reference to it, but Commodore UK was still profitable when the parent company went under, which was because a number of factors (I found a good post about it). Commodore owed about $10,000,000 on the XOR patent and had wasted far too much money in previous years, cancelling good projects, wasting money making PCs etc.
Old 17 January 2004, 11:35   #3
Pipboy approved
Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
I've heard a similar story like the one in the link Fred posted. So perhaps there is some truth in it. Thats the story I give people when they ask me what happened to Commodore and especially the Amiga. So it would be terrible if I've lied all these years. Clarification anyone?
Old 17 January 2004, 13:27   #4
Zone Friend
My memories are a tad hazy regarding the 1001 stories that the Amiga mags published after CBM's initial collapse & eventual buyout by Escom, before it's 2nd falling.

I agree with From Within's postings about Commodore U.K., indeed I recall that David Pleasance,(U.K. M.D. at the time led an initial attempt at an internal management buyout of the parent company, but failed around the time I think that set-top box company Viscorp started making noises about buying the Amiga technology.). And CBM U.K. were quite forthright in the press about their plans to get production restarted asap alongside R&D for the newer machines commenced. This suggests that CBM U.K. had to have been in a healthy state to have even contemplated such moves.

After the initial stories surfaced about Escom being the successful bidder for the Amiga technology after a god-awful drawn out receivership process, I do recall stories mentioning that some of the Escom execs formerly belonged to CBM Germany management, hence their interest in acquiring the CBM name.
It was from there that Escom elected to split the "Commodore" branding choosing to keep the old Commodore badging strictly for their own PC machines,(With Commodore's signifigant, though failed ventures into PC sales), & instead create an Amiga division as its own separate identitiy & company.

But as FromWithin's postings more accurately indicate, it was certainly the parent U.S./Bahamian,(remember, they shifted their H.Q. to the Bahamas in later years), branch's upper management which was responsible for CBM's demise. Disasterous venture's into the PC sales ring at the time of the great PC market crash of the early 90's, repeated refusals to invest enough in decent R&D despite David Haynie's & co.'s best efforts, diabolical marketing & management by Irving Gould, Medhi Ali & co. sealed their fate.

I seem to recall Twistin Ghost's tales of woe regarding certaining CBM "men-in-suits", at various shows showing their ineptness at their worst.

That Atari poster asking about Dungeon Master 2 etc., obviously didn't seem to be around at he time of the Falcon's launch-it's little wonder several titles missed the Falcon,blink & you would've missed it's release!
According to an atari mate of mine,(who was one of the few to ever own the machine in Oz), Atari did everything possible to annoy the Bitmap Bros & insure that any plans for a Falcon port of The Chaos Engine were well & truly dashed!
Old 17 January 2004, 15:38   #5

Commodore didn't flip over and die in '92 , but in April '94.

I wish people like that would try to research stuff before they go and pull statements out of their arses.
AdSense AdSense