English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 January 2004, 00:50   #21
fiath

Some AUI disks are formatted with DiskSpare. ADF won't do that...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 January 2004, 19:53   #22
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

slight misunderstanding, I meant that I'd extract the disks, then convert to adf, then either zip or lha....

And I found the rest of the disks, looks to be ~120 in total, maybe more.

And in responce to dizzy, (cover CD's); sorry, I don't have a gigabit link.... on the otherhand we could always use P2P or bit torrent.... or send me a blank CD and prepaid envelope.... might do a list of those as well - I think I could even load a searchable index of the Amiga Format CD's to the zone, if anyone wants it, coz there was one on the CD's... got about 50 or 60 CD's in total, including some real early PD stuff, (Fred fish etc), and there's a couple of one's aimed at PC's that have useful collections of fonts/clipart. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 17 January 2004, 20:13   #23
hardmoon

Currently I own around 1035 coverdisks in ADF format which I plan to host on the website. I'll probably upload everything first, without everything written out (which programs are on each disks, their respective authors, etc). Also, as you all have probably seen, the website itself is kinda, spartan in layout. I've done this mainly coz my design skills aren't that great, and secondly because no one wants a site with loads of overhead when browsing... Anyway, back to the scripting
Old 17 January 2004, 20:24   #24
Syko

Well said about the overhead, if more web designers paid attention to the importance of pages appearing rapidly (while demoing over a 100Mbs network...) the net would be a little quicker... always aim for the minimum amount of download you can get away with...

pause while I get flaimed
Old 17 January 2004, 21:21   #25
hardmoon

hehe, exactly
Old 18 January 2004, 01:19   #26
hardmoon

The first coverdisks are now placed at:

http://www.spellendoos.nl/taca/

I've just finished up the upload screen in its most basic form which allows uploading of coverdisks. Please keep in mind that they should be in ADF, with a TOSEC compliant name and zipped if you are interested in uploading.

I'll continue to work the coming weeks to build a login system for registered users and more database driven screens to allow details about each disk about the contents, their authors and such.
Old 18 January 2004, 01:56   #27
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I had a feeling this was going to go wrong and look crappy, but it turns out it looks great and works well. Good job Hardmoon! (I never say that to anyone).

Would it be an idea to add another section for images?
I have a nifty script which can automatically create thumbnails of images if you would like the code (checks to see if a thumb already exists, if it doesn't, it makes one).
Old 18 January 2004, 02:11   #28
hardmoon

Rome wasn't built in a day either eh

I'm taking my time for it since I don't have much time to script everything, hence the upload feature all opened up.

The site won't be logged by bots so the traffic should stay low for the moment, probably only Abime visitors for now...

As I said, the next thing I'm going to work on are all the other forms, and build a user section since the upload feature which is now open will be moderated soon, to keep the crap out of the way so to speak

An image section is already planned. I have the tables already worked out in the database, but they're not yet active. I plan on using the gd_library to resize pictures and store them as PNG to keep things tidy and such. I have such routines already in my lib, but thanks anyway!

As for the website. I know the location is a bit odd, but the domain spellendoos.nl is mine, and the server is from my work. I can use up quite an amount of diskspace so hopefully (if all the publishers I've written agree) it will last for quite some time.

As for your sceptism, I can understand it completely. Most forums are crammed to the roof with all kinds of initiatives to start up, but most of them never make it beyond that state of an idea so to speak...

I'm off for a good night sleep now and hopefully I can spend more time on the site tomorrow.

Last edited by hardmoon; 18 January 2004 at 02:27.
Old 18 January 2004, 15:55   #29
Syko

Clean and simple, just the way it should be

Started making the list last night. Anyone got a preference as to the order of delivery? As it shouldn't make any difference to me, I've got:

Amiga Format
Amiga Computing
Amiga User International
maybe a few other misc cd's (not CD's...)

So let me know...
Old 18 January 2004, 16:07   #30
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I have a ton of AUI and AP disks too, I also have a load of Amiga Format CDs too (as I always bought the CD edition).
Old 18 January 2004, 16:16   #31
Syko

I'd like to see a list of AUI cd's you've got as I've mostly got the later stuff. Also got the AF CD's (few misiing) back to about 14/15, maybe one or two earlier, also got full run of Amiga Active CD's with only a few missing.

If I was posting CD's I'd start with the AA ones, as they're the most uptodate, and have lots of useful utils/productivity s/w and WB addons.
Old 18 January 2004, 16:19   #32
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
I'd like to see a list of AUI cd's you've got as I've mostly got the later stuff. Also got the AF CD's (few misiing) back to about 14/15, maybe one or two earlier, also got full run of Amiga Active CD's with only a few missing.

If I was posting CD's I'd start with the AA ones, as they're the most uptodate, and have lots of useful utils/productivity s/w and WB addons.
I said AUI DISKS and AP CD's, not AUI CD's
Old 18 January 2004, 16:51   #33
Syko

cd's = cover disks
CD's = Compact Disks
as in:
Quote:
maybe a few other misc cd's (not CD's...)

Old 18 January 2004, 16:57   #34
hardmoon

Uploading compact discs would be a crime anyway since it's limited to a 900kb file each upload

If things work out well I might add a cd-coverdisk section as well.. How many cd-rom's are there btw that were coverdisks?
Old 18 January 2004, 17:36   #35
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by hardmoon
Uploading compact discs would be a crime anyway since it's limited to a 900kb file each upload

If things work out well I might add a cd-coverdisk section as well.. How many cd-rom's are there btw that were coverdisks?
I could use something like WinRAR to span the discs into 900k files, that would work...
Old 19 January 2004, 22:57   #36
Syko

Amiga Format had around a 150 cover CD's...

so a full archive would take some space!
Old 24 January 2004, 13:24   #37
hardmoon

It's gonna take up some space indeed, but I can store quite a few, so that's no real problem...
Old 24 January 2004, 17:34   #38
tomcat666
Retro Freak

There used to be two HUGE Amiga Cover Disk archives, both with a lot of info on the contents and the screenshots, etc. Unfortunetly none of them work anymore and I didn't download the lot when they were still alive It would be great if someone can provide those disks for the new archival site...
Old 05 February 2004, 04:51   #39
hardmoon

I've just finished uploading the Amiga Action disks I have to the website.... A total of 121 disks...

Next up will be the Amiga Computing disks.

You can view the site at:
http://www.spellendoos.nl/taca/

(still in beta stage only disk archiving for now)
Old 05 February 2004, 19:23   #40
MethodGit

IE appears to have a problem with apostrophes - the links for the following disks are cut off from where the apostrophe is supposed to be:

Amiga Action - Issue xx - Nigel Mansell's World Championship & Zool (199x)(Europress Interactive)(UK).zip
Amiga Action - Issue xx - Alien Breed Special Edition '92 (199x)(Europress Interactive)(UK).zip
Amiga Action - Issue 37 - Tearaway Thomas, Hoi & Dithell's Wonderland (1992-10)(Europress Interactive)(UK).zip
Amiga Action - Issue 37 - Tearaway Thomas, Hoi & Dithell's Wonderland (1992-10)(Europress Interactive)(UK)[b].zip

A tad silly for it to be narky over one character, isn't it?
AdSense AdSense