English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 January 2004, 13:50   #1
hardmoon

Active coverdisk registration site?

I stumbled upon a website which hosts some coverdisks of certain mags, but I noticed it's quite old (last update was done in 2001). I also noticed a database wasn't used, so no one could easily contribute to the archive.

Are there other websites which register these disks? If not, I am seriously considering building a website for it including a database which can be maintained by the community. I have already a succesful website up and running at http://www.spellendoos.nl (ok, the layout is crap) which has a very stable database behind it and I can host this as well since I use the webserver at my work which grants me near infinite diskspace.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 January 2004, 22:51   #2
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Sounds like a hell of an idea, I've got a fair few cover disks for different UK mags, I'll try and get a list together for you, and include serials and install details (if I've still got 'em...)

Incidentaly, what was the web site??
Old 13 January 2004, 06:26   #3
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Can I suggest, not everyone speaks or reads .... German ?

I cant even understand the homepage......
Old 13 January 2004, 06:29   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

This is not German but Dutch..
Old 13 January 2004, 08:23   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

The site Hardmoon refers to is http://nthdimension.emuunlim.com

Its a pitty because its a good site, I might just leech the site and make my own archive. about a year ago he offered the site to anyone who wanted it.

February 17th 2002: Alright, I think it's about time I own up. I haven't updated in almost 1 year now, and probably won't ever. It's just not 'fun' for me to maintain the site anymore, and I have moved on to other projects since then. I am in the process of talking with MrDig to create a combined Amiga coverdisk site, which will contain the best aspects of both our sites. If you are interested in 'taking over' The Nth Dimension in the meantime, or you want to be a part of the gang that works on the new site, email me and I'll see how you can help. Only those with mad 1337 database programming skillz should apply.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:03   #6
hardmoon

The site is indeed dutch (spellendoos), but it's only a reference to the solid database that's behind it It will be english all the way for the coverdisk website.

The problem with the emuunlim coverdisk site is that there are very few coverdisks to be found there. I have a much larger collection which I could already publish on the website.

My goal is, just as with 'spellendoos' to design and build a site which needs little to no maintenance by giving access to everyone to the database. Only strict moderating of added content is needed but that's not much work if the scripts are written properly.

At the moment I'm waiting for an answer from several publishers (future publishing, Emap, etc) if it's allowed to publish the disks on the net. After that I can continue modelling the database.

I'll try to give you all a looksy first at the model and then I'll continue building the website.

To be continued
Old 13 January 2004, 12:55   #7
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
The problem with the emuunlim coverdisk site is that there are very few coverdisks to be found there. I have a much larger collection which I could already publish on the website.
Yes, its not complete, thats true, and its sad that the author wants to give it up, but GOOD that others (such as yourself) want to continue the project.

Quote:
Yeah, and they are gzipped ADF's. Maybe if Fiath reads this forum, he could assist. Maybe with the use of the CAPS dumping tool on original disks we can have IPF's of the coverdisks, instead of the ADF's ? Before I moved interstate, I had to offload my coverdisks, litterally hundreds, i have only a few dozen now
Old 13 January 2004, 14:49   #8
fiath

Good idea, especially since so many coverdisks that have been modified etc. Also many coverdisks are broken or otherwise badly mastered. This we have seen already.

I also do not know how quickly you are planning on churning them out?

Coverdisks are not a top priority for us, more casual dumping entertainment, but if we got big batches dumped, it would certainly get our attention.

Last edited by fiath; 13 January 2004 at 15:00.
Old 13 January 2004, 15:13   #9
hardmoon

I'm currently planning on adding them in .ADF format. That's the only format in which I have coverdisks currently.

I've just finished building the database in mySQL on my webserver here at work. I've included in a zipped PDF document a schematic view of this database. Comments on this are more than welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dbmodel.zip (5.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 13 January 2004, 21:43   #10
Syko

I've got hundereds of cover floppy's and producing ADF's is quick, painless, and everyone can use them... even got some Amiga User International ones that came on 2 disks, and expanded to 6!

I'll get started logging them ASAP
Old 13 January 2004, 22:41   #11
hardmoon

I'll build the site for the moment at:

http://www.spellendoos.nl/taca/

Currently I've collected the magazines and put them in the database. They're already being listed on the left side of the page. I work some more on it tonight and hope to have some sort of CMS finished.
Old 13 January 2004, 22:43   #12
hardmoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
I've got hundereds of cover floppy's and producing ADF's is quick, painless, and everyone can use them... even got some Amiga User International ones that came on 2 disks, and expanded to 6!

That'd be great
Old 14 January 2004, 00:41   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Would you like everything, or is it better to mail you what I got. I do have all the stuff from the 2 previouse coverdisk site + some from Godflesh. I have tons of real coverdisk, but it will be to much making adf out of them if you got them.
Will you be interested in local coverdisk (I have some danish, 1 from norway, and some from germany)

Edit: What about Cover-CD
Old 14 January 2004, 05:38   #14
hardmoon

Currently I own more than a 1000 ADF's, even of some of the more obscure mags... I hope to have an upload ready by the end of this week. You can expect it around the 18th or so. I think it's best to upload a disk whenever you feel like it

btw, the filenames of the ADF's on the website will be according to the TOSEC standards to avoid any confusion.
Old 14 January 2004, 21:57   #15
Syko

Started looking for the disks last night, only found about 15 so far, gotta be more somewhere...
Old 15 January 2004, 12:57   #16
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally posted by Syko

You'll probably struggle with the AUI disk since they had two or three extra tracks on there. The ADF format won't suffice
Old 15 January 2004, 20:47   #17
Syko

Rip files on disk, and post as a zip/lha/what ever. Didn't realise adf can't handle 84 tracks....
Old 15 January 2004, 22:25   #18
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
I think your best bet would be to decompress the two AUI disks (into six disks or whatever) and then ADF those disks.

The idea of LHAing them up makes me cringe
Old 15 January 2004, 22:50   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

What about making a DMS out of them, it can go over 79 tracks (if I remeber correctly)
Old 15 January 2004, 23:47   #20
BippyM
Global Moderator

ADF's CAN use more than 80 tracks, it just depends on whether WinUAE (and Fellow) will support it!

All an ADF is a disk image!!!
AdSense AdSense