English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 December 2003, 10:52   #21
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
If you're really absolutely sure about this fact, HOL needs to be changed (at least the MM entry).

What does the team say?
Perhaps the answer lies in the CAPS scans? It is the original release as far as we know...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 December 2003, 12:02   #22
Pyromania

I think one of the first Amiga games to come out was Racter. My son still likes to play this game. Our disk just got a read/write error topday in fact. Could someone put Racter in the zone please?
Old 18 December 2003, 12:19   #23
fiath

Please say it wasn't an original...
Old 18 December 2003, 13:06   #24
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Please say it wasn't an original...
I have been on the lookout to buy an orginal for years, mine was a copy.
Old 18 December 2003, 14:03   #25
fiath

Well... phew! I guess

Interestingly enough I have:

Time Bandit (I'll have a look at the packaging for the date)
Brataccas (x2) (certainly 1985)
Nord and Bert couldn't make head nor tail of it

Infocom adventures on the Amiga are tricky, because they usually came out on other platforms rather earlier. I suspect HOL is correct in 1986 for most, but it might still be worth checking Nord & Bert...

Last edited by fiath; 18 December 2003 at 14:09.
Old 19 December 2003, 07:21   #26
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Perhaps the answer lies in the CAPS scans? It is the original release as far as we know...
You nasty mind-reader, you

Good grief, I did this yesterday indeed, hehe!
But only found copyright infos (1984, 1985, 1986)
I don't believe there's a copyright date given in the future if it was from 1985
Or there was indeed an earlier version that had nothing about 1986 copyright.
Well Severin, if you only had that 1985 box still ...
Old 19 December 2003, 21:53   #27
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
But only found copyright infos (1984, 1985, 1986)
I don't believe there's a copyright date given in the future if it was from 1985
I managed to fetch out 2 original copies of the US release by EA. Disks are identical. Most of the files are dated 28-Nov-85 with a few unimportant ones dated earlier. The titlescreen says the game is (c) 1986, while the disk says (c) 1984, 1986 Atari Games Corp. and EA.

The inside sleeve, however, says the following:

Software design (c) 1984, 1985, 1986 by Atari Games Corporation and Electronic Arts

Seems EA covered all their bases for release dates on different platforms. Nevertheless, given the date on the files and the inside sleeve info., I think that it is quite likely that EA released Amiga Marble Madness in Dec '85 just in time for Christmas.

@Severin
I know you said that you bought your copy of Marble Madness on 1 Oct, 1985. Any chance that it might have been Dec 1 instead? If not, I'm not sure how to resolve the later dates on the disk files, unless the 2 copies I have were part of a later production run or something.
Old 19 December 2003, 22:40   #28
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
The first Amiga magazine, Amiga World, didn't get any games to review until their May/June 1986 issue. In that issue they reviewed One on One, The Seven Cities of Gold, Borrowed Time, Mindshadow, and Monkey Business. Monkey Business may very well have been the only game in that lot that was actually released in 1985. Seven Cities may have been another one. If a game contains files, the dates of exec files or the startup-sequence file can sometimes provide important clues to the year of release.
Besides Monkey Business, I can confirm from my originals that One on One, The Seven Cities of Gold, Hacker and Mind Shadow were all released in 1985. Not sure about Borrowed Time, though, as I don't own it.
Old 24 November 2004, 16:23   #29
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler
Please please PLEASE tell me you can name this game for me; Dragon 32 or 64 game, adventure game, text entry with very basic graphics, you start in a burning building, there's dynamite in the toilet, and if the flames reach it, game over. A later level is set in Paris I think... It's the first game I can ever remember playing, and it's the only computer memory I've been unable to return to under emulation, because I can't remember the fugging name. Tell me you remember it, please!!!

I use MESS for Dragon emulation btw.
Andrew Braybrook used to have a Dragon32. Do you happen to know if he coded any games for it ?
AdSense AdSense