Old 13 December 2003, 00:37   #61
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
is the mag still on sale?
me want's to read!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 December 2003, 01:53   #62
fiath

It was "officially" released in the shops on the 5th, but I didn't see it the shops until the 8th or so. It should still be on sale though - if it has not all sold out.
Old 14 December 2003, 02:57   #63
Tourniquet

I managed to get a copy today in Basildon, Essex. My local newsagents hadn't stocked it for some reason.
Old 14 December 2003, 19:38   #64
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
hell I wanted a look
You're not missing much. IMHO you'll find it very amateur-ish if you're a long-time Amiga user or avid games collector. PM me with your email address if you're still curious and want jpegs of the Amiga pages.
Old 14 December 2003, 20:25   #65
Peanutuk

...newsflash !!!
Old 14 December 2003, 21:09   #66
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Hardly.......it's an opinion. People's mileage may vary, but frankly I think APoV issue #1 was more professional in a lot of ways than that Edge piece on the Amiga. If you disagree- fine, I've got no problem with that.......but your sarcasm really does need work!

To further illustrate my viewpoint, though, just have a look at the early issues of Zzap!64 from 1985/86. Pretty bloody professional journalism when you consider that the review team consisted of guys in their late teens or early 20s who, probably for the most part, had never worked on a computer mag before or had a real job. Computer journalism is supposed to be far more professional now. However, the research errors in Edge's Amiga piece just stuck out like dog's balls to me, and obviously to a few other people here who have made similar comments.
Old 14 December 2003, 21:42   #67
Peanutuk

No Bongy - you just need to read the whole thread.

I agree with you, in fact I have already made your point.

Old 16 December 2003, 21:57   #68
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Ahhh ok m8- I'll step down off my soapbox now! Sorry for misinterpreting your comment......hope I didn't come on too strong.
Old 16 December 2003, 22:31   #69
Peanutuk

no problems...
Old 17 December 2003, 10:50   #70
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
You're not missing much. IMHO you'll find it very amateur-ish if you're a long-time Amiga user or avid games collector.
Apart from the obvious errors, which I think have been mostly been pointed out in this thread, I certainly wouldn't say it was amateurish. Why do you say that?
Old 17 December 2003, 12:20   #71
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
Computer journalism is supposed to be far more professional now. However, the research errors in Edge's Amiga piece just stuck out like dog's balls to me, and obviously to a few other people here who have made similar comments.
Wrong. Computer journalism now is not professional if the editors are lazy bastards. Thank the internet for that . And I trully believe, that competition always played significant role in amateur info in mags. I mean, how many mags reviewed Demos in the past? Plenty.

I agree with Fiath. There will always be mistakes about old hardware and games. I can even make mistakes although I am an Amiga user for 12 years now. I believe that Retro is one of the most professional publications ever.
Old 17 December 2003, 19:00   #72
Peanutuk

I disagree...what goes for "professionalism" is professional design lay-outs. Edge made its name from looking very different compare its first issue with currant issues of AP of AF, rather like comparing the Beano to The Face.

Retro is no different; fancy layouts, nice art work, but, in regard to the Amiga section at least, no real content.
Old 18 December 2003, 11:04   #73
fiath

Hmm... No offense, but I really can't see how you can say that. No content? The Retro issue is all about looking at old retro systems and highlighting the collectable games on those systems. That is exactly what it did.

What do you think they could they have done differently?
Old 24 December 2003, 12:53   #74
cv643d

I have bought the mag now, and I have some issues with the games they presented.

I cant believe they didnt have Turrican 2 on the pages... maybe its a German thing to fanatically like Turrican 2 but its no secret that a game in good condition box would be worth more than your average Amiga game.
AdSense AdSense