English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 November 2003, 11:10   #1
manicx

Kick Off 2 World Cup 2003

Well, the third Official KO2 world cup took place in Groningen, Holland. It was a great success. There were 32 participants from:

Greece
England
Norway
Germany
Holland
Italy
Spain

KO2 community was loyal for one more time and the event was even better than last year. Here's a few photos:

Quarter Finalists (eab represented by me 2nd from left and Alkis, 2nd from right)

The World Champion, Gianluca Troiano from Italy

The participants (youngest was 13 years old).

I will soon add a full review to the Kick Off Association website as well as videos of the semifinals and the final.

Next year, the WC will be held in Italy (probably in Milan) and it is estimated that nearly 50-60 participants will be there!!! This will make it one of the biggest European Amiga games competitions nowadays.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 November 2003, 14:30   #2
Akira

Re: Kick Off 2 World Cup 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
(youngest was 13 years old).
How the hell did he found out about Kick Off 2? Just the fact that he likes such an old game is great
Old 12 November 2003, 15:22   #3
manicx

His uncles play Kick Off 2 and he watched them playing one day. The KO2 virus infected him and he now attends all tournaments. He is also improving day by day. Amazing, isn't?
Old 12 November 2003, 16:16   #4
Bloodwych

This is great, but..........

Aren't you guys finding it difficult to find the use of quality joysticks - some must be getting long in the tooth by now and Kick Off 2 requires precision, 100% crisp oldschool microswitch control.

Or am I missing something?
Old 12 November 2003, 16:55   #5
manicx

Well, you are correct. Thing is that many people are using Competition Pro sticks that are still easy to find in eBay. Others are switching to this. Needless to say that there are people who created their own sticks using arcade components. Others, like myself, are using the same joystick for years simply because they are top-dogs.

We always have a couple of soldiering irons with us. Every joystick that comes across, even the broken ones, are collected for spare parts. It is quite amazing how all of us have 4-5 spare sticks. All we hope now, is that Amigas will last forever!
Old 12 November 2003, 17:12   #6
JudasEZT

fuck! Next WorldCup I must to be there,... still I not good KickOff2,.. I was, but when I passed to Goal! I loose my abilities on KickOff2.

I conserve my two Telemach joysticks,.. one of plastic and the other which looks like wood.. he is like one more of my brothers.
Old 12 November 2003, 18:01   #7
Akira

If I had time I would
1) Build my own control from arcade parts. This would be ace.

or 2) Build a PSX to Amiga adapter. This should be fairly easy to do and I dunno why nobody has done it yet. Imagine mouse control with the dualshock. Sweet.
Old 12 November 2003, 18:45   #8
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

That Kick Off 2 tournament looks like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Well, Others are switching to this.
I picked up a Tomahawk from that Greek company while on Holiday in Greece back in 91. It still works and feels almost the same as it did the day I got it.

The only plastic parts on mine are the microswitches and the button, the rest is steel with a wooden knob.

It is the ultimate joystick for sensible soccer, kick off and just about any game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomahawk2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	6160  
Old 13 November 2003, 03:33   #9
staticgerbil

Quote:
or 2) Build a PSX to Amiga adapter. This should be fairly easy to do and I dunno why nobody has done it yet.
I am 99% sure i have the plans for one somewhere on my pc.

Was gonna build one then sold the ps2 so didn't bother.

I'll see if i can dig it up.
Old 13 November 2003, 04:46   #10
staticgerbil

Here it is on aminet...

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/a...=+APPE1_2.lha+
Old 13 November 2003, 15:58   #11
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by T_hairy_bootson
That Kick Off 2 tournament looks like a lot of fun.

I picked up a Tomahawk from that Greek company while on Holiday in Greece back in 91. It still works and feels almost the same as it did the day I got it.

The only plastic parts on mine are the microswitches and the button, the rest is steel with a wooden knob.

It is the ultimate joystick for sensible soccer, kick off and just about any game.
Yes, you are a lucky man! These joysticks were made by Aneroussis Co. I have a Tomahawk just like yours, a Pacman (VERY similar to yours) and 3 Pac-Man 2 (slightly different to yours). These are the joysticks I am using. They are by far the best sticks for arcade games and Kick Off 2, Sensible. Excellent stuff. Glad you have one!
AdSense AdSense