English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 January 2007, 22:02   #21
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
As shd hasn't answered for ages, I did it myself

Using DJGPP and the excellent RHIDE, I managed to compile a win32 version of xDMS 1.3.2 today!

Since 2006-08-17 it has been possible to compile it for Windows using MinGW. See the CVS repository. MingW compiled programs are native Windows programs that do not need any special libraries.
shd is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 January 2007, 22:15   #22
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 8,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
If anyone wants it too, gimme a shout
I'm shouting
BippyM is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 22:24   #23
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shd
Since 2006-08-17 it has been possible to compile it for Windows using MinGW. See the CVS repository. MingW compiled programs are native Windows programs that do not need any special libraries.
Ah there you are!

So you are ... but can't be arsed to answer my e-mail with the bug report I sent on 17 August 2006, can you?
I'm known to be fairly patient, but half a year is even putting my patience at risk

Well if MingW is able to compile the thing and get it down to less than ~ 175K size, let me know!

I'm at 178,901 bytes now with a bit of optimizing - almost twice the size of the 1.3 version!
Please replace your cdata.h with mine, as unless you're using MingW, dos/win32 does not know about Uxxxx types!

Lastly, there's nothing that keeps you from putting this mingW win32 build on your site. It will certainly not cause your server capacity to be exhausted
Attached Files
File Type: txt cdata.h.txt (1.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by andreas; 09 January 2007 at 22:41.
andreas is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 22:41   #24
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
So you are ... but can't be arsed to answer my e-mail with the bug report I sent on 17 August 2006, can you?
I'm known to be fairly patient, but half a year is even putting my patience at risk
Maybe I forgot or planned to answer later. I don't remember which.

Anyway, I haven't done anything else for xdms, just look at ChangeLog at CVS.

Quote:
Well if MingW is able to compile the thing and get it down to less than ~ 175K size, let me know!

I'm at 178,901 bytes now with a bit of optimizing - almost twice the size of the 1.3 version!
Size isn't important. It's 33 KiB on my amd64 GNU/Linux.
shd is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 22:46   #25
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
size of the 1.3 version!
Please replace your cdata.h with mine, as unless you're using MingW, dos/win32 does not know about Uxxxx types!
What kind of devel environment is it? Do you compile by running ./configure script first, or something else? If you use the configure script, what does "uname -a" and "uname" say on your system?

Quote:
Lastly, there's nothing that keeps you from putting this mingW win32 build on your site. It will certainly not cause your server capacity to be exhausted
Would you certify those compiled binaries with your name and email address? I couldn't build those.
shd is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 22:53   #26
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Did I get you wrong?

You gave me the impression that I will get a win32 executable by accessing CVS. But apparently I won't...

So don't you have any Windows machine at all?
If so, I'd understand.

About .configure:

Again, I'm on NATIVE Windows, that is, I'm working without Cygwin!
Nor am I working with MingW. So there is no ".configure"!
I gave you a link above so you get a clue what DJGPP is (resembling classic Borland Turbo C/C++ product line), and I used a project file, adding the required files to the project, just as I would do it in MSVC.

Quote:
Size isn't important. It's 33 KiB on my amd64 GNU/Linux.
Well, please read carefully.
I do not care about the size of the linux version. It's about the size of the win32 version. Forget about your linux world for one second. Please. At least try it. There is NOT only linux.

People would convert their DMS images from older CDs mainly on Windows, less probably Linux, so it would be about time (!) that this aeons-old version on Aminet gets replaced by a recent one eventually!
andreas is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:00   #27
thor
Registered User
thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 898
andreas: install MinGW and MSYS and you can use ./configure and be able to build a native Win32 xdms.exe. File size is 56442 bytes.
thor is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:07   #28
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well, do you have it installed?
So you do it, and up it to Aminet!

I'm no "publicity whore", so if someone else does it, it'll be fine!
Hence the hard-to-overlook announcement "UNOFFICIAL" in the zone...I had some impression that the build appeared a bit big...
andreas is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:17   #29
thor
Registered User
thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 898
Upped my MinGW build of the latest CVS sources to the zone. Do want you want with it.
thor is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:20   #30
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
thanks man!

As I have not done it myself, I can't upload it to Aminet...so why don't you do it so people do no longer have to download the old 1999 version? Please do it - it is really worth it, believe me!

@all: thor's version is 1.3.3, note that!
andreas is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:34   #31
thor
Registered User
thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 898
It's 1.3.3 with that MinGW mkstemps fix. And as it's an unofficial build too, I will upload it to Aminet only if shd agrees

Edit: I see that the Aminet 1.3 version has binaries for Amiga and Linux too, so I don't know if it's a good idea to upload it without those
thor is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:42   #32
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Did I get you wrong?

You gave me the impression that I will get a win32 executable by accessing CVS. But apparently I won't...
Did I? Obviously we will distribute binaries on the web page, if we get binaries from someone, but development happens in the version control system (CVS).

You didn't answer my question about distributing those binaries by your name. If we are going to distribute binaries on my web page, the builder should be a known person. A chain of trust is needed.

Quote:
So don't you have any Windows machine at all?
If so, I'd understand.
No. And even if I had the money to spend, I wouldn't pay Microsoft, so I won't use it.

Quote:
About .configure:

Again, I'm on NATIVE Windows, that is, I'm working without Cygwin!
Nor am I working with MingW. So there is no ".configure"!
I gave you a link above so you get a clue what DJGPP is (resembling classic Borland Turbo C/C++ product line), and I used a project file, adding the required files to the project, just as I would do it in MSVC.
Open source development needs build automation so it would possibly be nice to have some project file for DJGPP envnronment and distribute that with the source. Would you send me the project file?

Quote:
Well, please read carefully.
I do not care about the size of the linux version. It's about the size of the win32 version. Forget about your linux world for one second. Please. At least try it. There is NOT only linux.
Well, please read carefully. I do not care about the size of the windows version. It's about the size of the linux version. Forget about your windows world for one second. Please. At least try it. There is NOT only Windows.

Quote:
People would convert their DMS images from older CDs mainly on Windows, less probably Linux
Agreed.
shd is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:43   #33
thor
Registered User
thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 898
'strip xdms.exe' makes it even smaller (32256 bytes)
thor is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:44   #34
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
It's 1.3.3 with that MinGW mkstemps fix. And as it's an unofficial build too, I will upload it to Aminet only if shd agrees
You don't need my approval for this. This is an open source project; distributing binaries is permitted for anyone. Just upload the binary with your name, as I didn't build it.
shd is offline  
Old 09 January 2007, 23:55   #35
thor
Registered User
thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 898
I know, but I think good manners require asking even it isn't needed legally. But as I said, without at least the Amiga binaries I don't think it's a good idea to upload it to Aminet (which is mainly for Amiga and not for Win32 binaries )

Replaced the larger xdms.exe with the stripped one in the zone
thor is offline  
Old 10 January 2007, 00:07   #36
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
good work!
andreas is offline  
Old 10 January 2007, 00:17   #37
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
I committed a patch into CVS that fixes datatypes on DJGPP environment. Thanks Andreas.
shd is offline  
Old 10 January 2007, 00:22   #38
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thanks ...
and here's the project file! Uses -Os in gcc to get the build a bit sized-down...also -march=i386 as we're on x86. (i586 will make the build bigger => pointless)

[edit] (removed, as it contains individual paths, gotta investigate this first)

Last edited by andreas; 10 January 2007 at 00:50.
andreas is offline  
Old 10 January 2007, 00:25   #39
shd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampere / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Thanks ...
and here's the project file!
Where?
shd is offline  
Old 10 January 2007, 00:27   #40
andreas
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 43
Posts: 5,858
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
above...
after ignoring my one report for months, I had no idea you could be so fast
andreas is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dms Ian request.Apps 6 14 October 2008 16:43
fix or skip dms-errors Adderly support.Other 2 26 July 2006 02:39
dms problems otro support.Apps 12 26 October 2004 01:06
Read\Write Errors..... THX1138 support.Apps 10 13 October 2004 15:24
CD Read Write Errors Stom support.WinUAE 2 07 June 2002 18:46

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.24446 seconds with 12 queries