English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 November 2003, 05:54   #101
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Actually I have a point to make why I can't switch from OS9.xx to X, it's because Apple screwed me and others who have a MAC Clone

My best MAC is the clone I have, the Power Center 150 that I've upgraded with a G3-400MHz and 394MB of ram. It's not a bad machine at all, however Apple will not allow me to run OS X on it or install it what so ever

The G3 upgrade I bought for it from Sonnet supposedly has some kind of patch thing that will allow me to install OS X but really I'm waiting to get a nice used G4 now instead and then go that route I'm sure I'll eventually find what I'm looking for so in the meantime OS9.xx is just fine for the little I do with it.
Some of the hardware I have for the mac doesnt even work on system 8.6 let alone 9.x or OSX. The reason I have a PM 7500 is just for my videovision setup and os 7.5.x- 8.5 works great for that.

Any agp equipped machine (that would be a g4) will run osx ok if thats what you want. If your into projects buy a used/refurbed AGP equipped mac motherboard and add the rest of the system yourself (there are way to fit it into an ATX pc case with a few mods and the rest of the components are off the shelf mac compatible parts).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 November 2003, 10:29   #102
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
To sell new machines. OS 8-9 didnt multitask well, win2k runs rings around it for that.
Agreed, since I was spoiled by Amiga OS I aways found MacOS versions before X a bore, I ran them for fun for years with Emplant/Fusion/Shapeshifter but from an OS standpoint they lacked power.

Last edited by Pyromania; 08 November 2003 at 10:35.
Old 08 November 2003, 10:34   #103
Pyromania

Quote:
Actually I have a point to make why I can't switch from OS9.xx to X, it's because Apple screwed me and others who have a MAC Clone

My best MAC is the clone I have, the Power Center 150 that I've upgraded with a G3-400MHz and 394MB of ram. It's not a bad machine at all, however Apple will not allow me to run OS X on it or install it what so ever

The G3 upgrade I bought for it from Sonnet supposedly has some kind of patch thing that will allow me to install OS X but really I'm waiting to get a nice used G4 now instead and then go that route I'm sure I'll eventually find what I'm looking for so in the meantime OS9.xx is just fine for the little I do with it.
I know what you mean jmmijo, Apple screwed me too. They killed off the Newton which I had a lot of money sunk into so it makes me think twice about giving Apple any money now. I thought the Mac clone market was a great idea.
Old 08 November 2003, 14:04   #104
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:

There is a way you might get OSx running on it, the same way I got it running on my AmigaOne...

Install a minimum linux setup and run MOL (Mac-On-Linux), bit silly to have to run a mac emulator on a mac to run a mac OS but it should work, and give your hours of frustrating puzzles to work out, then think of the sense of achievment if you manage to do it

Anyway Back on Topic...

Anyone coming to the show?
AdSense AdSense