English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 November 2003, 18:47   #81
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Not only is the quantitiy of games for the mac lacking but so are options for things like joysticks, 3d sound cards, 3d video cards, midi boards. If your into retro games then playing them on a mac would really suck.
????????????????????

WTF do the PCI and AGP slots in Macs take? STANDARD CARDS.

What are you talking about? we're not speaking of NuBus machines here.
Akira is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 November 2003, 19:31   #82
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
????????????????????

WTF do the PCI and AGP slots in Macs take? STANDARD CARDS.

What are you talking about? we're not speaking of NuBus machines here.
First off they dont take standard PCi/AGP cards they take apple rommed cards ONLY (unless your using a linux variation which kills the gaming aspect of the machine).

Second I was referring to retro games meaning retro equipment like nubus powerd macs , 68k macs were of pentium era vintage which I consider retro.

There are alot of joysticks, gamepads, and racing wheels out there that just dont have mac drivers even if you could hook them up physically.
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 06 November 2003, 23:08   #83
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
First off they dont take standard PCi/AGP cards they take apple rommed cards ONLY
The way I heard it this is apple shite and you can buy any card and it whould work, only that if you buy it from an Apple store you pay through the nose for the same thing. But I could be wrong.
Quote:
Second I was referring to retro games meaning retro equipment like nubus powerd macs , 68k macs were of pentium era vintage which I consider retro.
I am not sure about what you are talking about. If you want retro gaming in a current Mac you can always lameulate. And lots of 68k stuff works, surprisingly, under OS X's Classic environment.
Quote:
There are alot of joysticks, gamepads, and racing wheels out there that just dont have mac drivers even if you could hook them up physically.
As long as the device is DECENT and HID compliant the mac will lift it up without the need for any drivers.

You said you used 10.1 for a while, how can you be assuming such a load of stuff with zero experience with the current OS?
Akira is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 00:09   #84
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
The way I heard it this is apple shite and you can buy any card and it whould work, only that if you buy it from an Apple store you pay through the nose for the same thing. But I could be wrong.

I am not sure about what you are talking about. If you want retro gaming in a current Mac you can always lameulate. And lots of 68k stuff works, surprisingly, under OS X's Classic environment.

As long as the device is DECENT and HID compliant the mac will lift it up without the need for any drivers.

You said you used 10.1 for a while, how can you be assuming such a load of stuff with zero experience with the current OS?
First off emulators for the most part are buggy as hell. Just because you can get the thing running doesnt mean it will work and sound the way its supposed to. Plus its more fun playing the game then fucking with the emulator settings. You should know I have a shitload of retro machines because nothing beats the real thing.

Well I have read alot of people hacking the bios and some hardware on PC cards to get them to work in OSX running macs. This includes video cards and hd controllers. So you never tried installing a non mac card inta a machine and say it will work but 3 paragraphs down your bitching about my zero experience?

All I know is that just because a joystick is recognised by an OS as a USB device it doesnt mean that the 15 butons and sliders will work unless there are drivers for it on that OS. Doesnt matter if your using macos, unix, windows 9x, windows 2k, beos, etc its all the same there. Ever wonder how mac video cards are always 2x more expensive then the normal version for the pc? If you could just plug in any of them this wouldnt be the case. I do know for a fact that you need an apple rommed card for macos 7-9 so I dont see why they would change (unless somebody hacked a linux driver to work in osx).

I did connect a few USB devices to my mac when I was playing around with osx and a few worked great and a few had problems (mice, keyboards, external drive, etc).
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 00:55   #85
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Basilisk is pretty good, actually, Unk.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 01:01   #86
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Not only is the quantitiy of games for the mac lacking but so are options for things like joysticks, 3d sound cards, 3d video cards, midi boards. If your into retro games then playing them on a mac would really suck.
Yes, there is a high standard that Macs have, that's why it's propietary.But there's a decent selection. Just look at any online Mac retailer, you hobag. Not just any peripheral can be used. But when I have played on current or fairly recent Macs, never been a problem to play with flight sticks or joypads. And, unlike Windoze, It's quite easy to plug n play. We all know the hell Winddoze gives us with drivers.
One freind has an iMac, the newer one, and his retrogaming is fine, in regards to peripherlas.
It's the emyuators that suck, mostly.
No doubt, Windoze, if only because of ubiquity, wins the emulators battle hands down. The best retrogaming takes place on PCs.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 08:26   #87
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally posted by Slayer
Not alot I wdn't think; a fact that may be important to
the average cpu joe bloggs but I'm totally indifferent.

The only machines considered to be parts would be some
of the many A500 units I have.

Out of the other platforms that I have roughly that all
go are: 4 A4000's 1 A3000T 7 A2000's 5 CD32's 1 A1200
(yes, I destroyed my other 2 by a stupid mistake :P)
3 A600's and about 12 Amiga 500's. etc etc, many addons
one of the A4000's is a Towered 233mhz CSPPC/060.

Once I get my butt into full motion I plan to program
and also electronics... I think you can guess the mad
rest ,)
Have you thought about adding a Video Toaster 4000 & Flyer to one of those A4000 systems? Now that would make your A4000 rock!
Pyromania is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 08:34   #88
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Are you aware of the debate about PPC emulation?
At the forums at Emaculation.com
there seems to be much sniping and posturing.
PPC emulation ...that'd be cool.
Currently, I have a nice 68K games collection. Just ask, and I'll be glad to share
Basilisk only emulates 68K, thus limiting it to OS 8.1, which is a very nice OS indeed.
If the old Mac OS like 8.1 or 9 is so good then why did Steve Jobs butcher and murder it?
Pyromania is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 12:46   #89
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
If the old Mac OS like 8.1 or 9 is so good then why did Steve Jobs butcher and murder it?
Because it got dated heavily with time. OS9 is, in essence, not much different than the first Mac OSes the Apple 128K had.

Also, he had to do something with all his NeXTStep shite Even since I heard about Rhapsody (OS X's prototype predecessor) I was very excited.

OS 9 is really useless today. Yes, it runs with quite a lot of speed in my iBook, but I have no apps to use it.
Akira is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 13:35   #90
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
If the old Mac OS like 8.1 or 9 is so good then why did Steve Jobs butcher and murder it?
It was time for a change.
Can't expect someone vibrant and creative like Steve Jobs to stay with an old warhorse, can you?
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 19:40   #91
kolorabi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
It has tons of games, but nowhere near the PC selection.
Those must be very light tons
kolorabi is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 20:38   #92
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
If the old Mac OS like 8.1 or 9 is so good then why did Steve Jobs butcher and murder it?
To sell new machines. OS 8-9 didnt multitask well, win2k runs rings around it for that.
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 20:42   #93
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Because it got dated heavily with time. OS9 is, in essence, not much different than the first Mac OSes the Apple 128K had.

Also, he had to do something with all his NeXTStep shite Even since I heard about Rhapsody (OS X's prototype predecessor) I was very excited.

OS 9 is really useless today. Yes, it runs with quite a lot of speed in my iBook, but I have no apps to use it.
OS 9 is nowhere near useless, there are alot of good apps probably just 1 version old of what your using now. Many first generation OSX had problems compared to their OS9 versions. Apple went out of their way to make sure the new machines cant boot in OS 9.x just to sell people on OSX. OSX does have greater stability and better multitasking but that doesnt make OS 9 useless (millions still use it for everyday work I bet).
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 23:03   #94
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
OS 9 is nowhere near useless, there are alot of good apps probably just 1 version old of what your using now. Many first generation OSX had problems compared to their OS9 versions. Apple went out of their way to make sure the new machines cant boot in OS 9.x just to sell people on OSX. OSX does have greater stability and better multitasking but that doesnt make OS 9 useless (millions still use it for everyday work I bet).
Akira uses terminology that's kinda hyperbolic. I agree, many still use it.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 07 November 2003, 23:38   #95
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Once you switch it makes no sense to go back. Obviously lots of people with old Macs should use it, but using OS9 in any new Mac is pointless, since all the available OS X apps have seriously surpassed its OS9 antecesors.

I puke everytime I see a Powerbook G4 running OS9. what a waste of time.
Akira is offline  
Old 08 November 2003, 00:27   #96
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Once you switch it makes no sense to go back. Obviously lots of people with old Macs should use it, but using OS9 in any new Mac is pointless, since all the available OS X apps have seriously surpassed its OS9 antecesors.

I puke everytime I see a Powerbook G4 running OS9. what a waste of time.
I totally agree. There is no way I'd even bother to go back to 8 or 9.
To me, it's pointless
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 08 November 2003, 02:29   #97
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
I totally agree. There is no way I'd even bother to go back to 8 or 9.
To me, it's pointless
It might be pointless to you but the people who purchased their OS 9 running machine new and also purchased expensive os9 software probably dont see the need to upgrade either untill what they have no longer works. Most people could get by just fine with photoshop 4 or 5 and where on what version 7?
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 08 November 2003, 04:12   #98
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
It might be pointless to you but the people who purchased their OS 9 running machine new and also purchased expensive os9 software probably dont see the need to upgrade either untill what they have no longer works. Most people could get by just fine with photoshop 4 or 5 and where on what version 7?
Most applications run JUST FINE under OS X's Classic environment, so there is no excuse to not switch. The applications that do not work are few(Protools doesn't, for example, and that's a very important one, I wonder if apple fixed it or if there's a new version of Protools on the prowl).

Fuck, I ran Photoshop 1.2 the othe rday and it worked perfectly.
Akira is offline  
Old 08 November 2003, 05:09   #99
Unknown_K
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio/USA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,379
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Most applications run JUST FINE under OS X's Classic environment, so there is no excuse to not switch. The applications that do not work are few(Protools doesn't, for example, and that's a very important one, I wonder if apple fixed it or if there's a new version of Protools on the prowl).

Fuck, I ran Photoshop 1.2 the othe rday and it worked perfectly.
Maybe your missing my point. If you have an upgraded 8500 system with g3 processor and alot of ram OS 9.1 will run the apps you already have perfectly and very fast. While the apps MAY run on OSX the machine itself doesnt do it very well. So why ruin a perfectly good system by trying to run an OS that doesnt want to run on it (and most likely doesnt support your present SCSI card , video, IDE card, floppy drive, etc) with the apps you already have? And if you dont have a g3 and alot of ram OS 9.1 will still run ok, while OSX wont run at all.

If you already have a system that can run OSX optimally then I dont see going back to OS 9.x, but why upgrade if what you have works and upgrading the OS will break it.
Unknown_K is offline  
Old 08 November 2003, 05:12   #100
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 55
Posts: 2,355
Actually I have a point to make why I can't switch from OS9.xx to X, it's because Apple screwed me and others who have a MAC Clone

My best MAC is the clone I have, the Power Center 150 that I've upgraded with a G3-400MHz and 394MB of ram. It's not a bad machine at all, however Apple will not allow me to run OS X on it or install it what so ever

The G3 upgrade I bought for it from Sonnet supposedly has some kind of patch thing that will allow me to install OS X but really I'm waiting to get a nice used G4 now instead and then go that route I'm sure I'll eventually find what I'm looking for so in the meantime OS9.xx is just fine for the little I do with it.
jmmijo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is this announcement shown all the time? Akira project.EAB 7 28 October 2012 04:28
Cf Hd not shown Retrofan support.Hardware 2 05 October 2012 20:31
Some icons not shown on OS3.9 Foul support.Apps 50 06 March 2011 12:31
CF HD not shown with FastATA Retrofan support.Other 14 08 January 2011 01:17
OS4 update - A late xmas present from the OS4 team Paul News 1 28 December 2004 21:48

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.38526 seconds with 11 queries