English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 November 2003, 16:55   #61
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
I got my A1000 on the 1st October, 1985, one of the first batch to arrive in the U.K.

atm I have 3 amiga's, A1, A4k and an A1200 somewhere. I remember paying £220 for an external floppy drive, £400+ for a 1081, and a vast amount for the 256k ram pack for my A1000. Even in the 90's it was £500 for a 105Mb scsi harddrive and IVS Trumpcard for the 2000 I had then, £800 for an 040/28 accelerator, £350 for P-IV + paloma, around £500 for my 060

Long live the Amiga lifestyle
I'm impressed with the A1000 and date I've passed up
opportunities to acquire the odd A1000 because it always
seemed to arise when I was already bidding on an A4000.

As for the money spent. I understand completely and I
really have no idea where to start with my story so I
don't even think I'll bother.

And Amen to the last part...

and as a side personal note I noticed your birthday was
exactly the same as my younger brother but the year is
the same as when I was born. That's where the guess about
being with the Amiga from the start originated ,)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 November 2003, 23:55   #62
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
When was the last time you used Mac OS? Are you, perchance, comparing your experience with OS8 or earlier machines with the experience you have now with Windows XP machines? Wouldn't that be like comparing CP/M with BSD?
I guess it was OS8, but my PC use Windows 98 SE (I prefer Win98 to Win XP, and will use it for as long as games allow me to), so I'm being fair. :-)

I don't really want to attack macs, but I've used several different versions of MacOS and I've never really liked it much. I've never liked Windows either, so don't think I'm being pro-Windows and anti-mac here. AmigaOS, with the right enhancements, is far better than both.. :-)

It remains to be seen how OS 4 performs, but I don't think it'll be worse than earlier Amiga OS'es, and I know what the guys at Hyperion have done before, so I have a good feeling about it.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:27   #63
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by Slayer
and as a side personal note I noticed your birthday was exactly the same as my younger brother but the year is the same as when I was born. That's where the guess about being with the Amiga from the start originated ,)
Good work Watson!
When you have boiled-off all that is possible; what remains . . . however unpalatable . . . is the RESIDUE!
Old 05 November 2003, 02:11   #64
Severin

Latest news about the show - yes it's what the thread was originally about

A venue has been confirmed, not sure if it's the final one but one is guarenteed now

Alan Redhouse and Fleecy Moss have both confirmed that they'll be there...
Old 05 November 2003, 03:20   #65
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Make a video of os4 in action and post it somewhere we can download it, might be interesting.
Old 05 November 2003, 04:16   #66
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by kolorabi
I guess it was OS8, but my PC use Windows 98 SE (I prefer Win98 to Win XP, and will use it for as long as games allow me to), so I'm being fair. :-)

You have shown yourself unable and grossly unqualified to formulate an opinion on Mac OSX. Henceforth you shall keep your quotes on Windows, Mac OS 8, Amiga OS, etc.
You sir have shot yourself in the foot
Old 05 November 2003, 04:38   #67
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
You have shown yourself unable and grossly unqualified to formulate an opinion on Mac OSX. Henceforth you shall keep your quotes on Windows, Mac OS 8, Amiga OS, etc.
I think macOS 7.01 to 9.2 have alot in common, OSX is completely different (I tried 10.1)
Old 05 November 2003, 12:43   #68
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I think macOS 7.01 to 9.2 have alot in common, OSX is completely different (I tried 10.1)
Yep, correct.
10.3 itself is way ahead of 10.1
Old 05 November 2003, 15:58   #69
Severin

Quote:
Make a video of os4 in action and post it somewhere we can download it, might be interesting.
There's already several around, go to amigaworld.net and have a delve round the news section for show reports...

There a a few small problems for me to do that...

1. nothing to record the video with.
2. nowhere to host the video
3. dial-up connection, so If I did one, you would have to wait a month for me to upload it
Old 05 November 2003, 17:22   #70
Akira

Quote:
OS X is what I'm talking about here, never liked the old Mac OSes. And if you only tried 10.1, you should try 10.2 because it's quite a leap forward. I hated 10.1, it was pure shite.

As far as Panther goes, I liked a lot of the features, but the one I REALLY really like is Exposť
Old 05 November 2003, 17:35   #71
Unknown_K

Quote:
OS X is what I'm talking about here, never liked the old Mac OSes. And if you only tried 10.1, you should try 10.2 because it's quite a leap forward. I hated 10.1, it was pure shite.

As far as Panther goes, I liked a lot of the features, but the one I REALLY really like is Exposť
Most of my macs are old collectables like the IIfx, Quadra 840AV, Quadra 950 AWS server, and a few powermacs like the 7500/8500.

I tried OSX when it came out on my 8500 G3-400/1MB, IDE cdrom (40x) IDE hd (40gb 7200 rpm), Ultimate Rez Video, USB card + microsoft mouse, 448MB ram. While I had to hack it to load on the machine it ran ok except for slow video. I just did this to see what the fuss was about and after a few weeks I went back to OS 9.1 which is very nice and fast on that hardware.

I have no need to use OSX and its applications on my macs. I have a bookshelf of old 68k software that I collect and use on my vintage machines for the fun of it. This includes the standard mac stuff plus a few cad packages and mathcad, mathematica etc. The Powermacs were originally puchased to run my Videovision PCI + telecast system for grabbing video to play with and to be able to burn some cd's (the 68k's can do that as well). I have A/UX 3.1.1 running on my AWS server (yes original media and manuals) and its pretty snappy for being unix with emulates OS 7.01 on it. I always wondered what would have happened if apple had ported it to the Powermacs.
Old 05 November 2003, 18:31   #72
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Are you aware of the debate about PPC emulation?
At the forums at Emaculation.com
there seems to be much sniping and posturing.
PPC emulation ...that'd be cool.
Currently, I have a nice 68K games collection. Just ask, and I'll be glad to share
Basilisk only emulates 68K, thus limiting it to OS 8.1, which is a very nice OS indeed.
Old 05 November 2003, 18:32   #73
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

10.3 is a leap forward from 10.2.
Relax, 10.1 was not shite, your hyperbole is junk.
Old 05 November 2003, 21:16   #74
Akira

10.1 is garbage, it performed like arse even on a powerbook g4. i have seen the huge speed improvement with my own eyes.
Old 05 November 2003, 22:56   #75
Unknown_K

Quote:
10.1 is garbage, it performed like arse even on a powerbook g4. i have seen the huge speed improvement with my own eyes.
Still without a videocard supported by quartz extreme (mostly just agp cards) and a g4 processor I dont think I will bother with it again.
Old 06 November 2003, 02:59   #76
Akira

sure, quartz makes a diference. my card is obviously supported but not having an altivec does make things a bit jumpy sometimes.
Old 06 November 2003, 12:34   #77
kolorabi

Quote:
Don't know if you've noticed, but most of my comments have been on software support.. basically, it doesn't matter how good the OS is. Maybe Mac OS X is the best thing ever (personally I never liked the earlier Mac OS'es I've tried, and people were as adamant in their support of those as you're in your support of OS X), but if it lacks games, it's out of the question for me.
Old 06 November 2003, 18:29   #78
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

It has tons of games, but nowhere near the PC selection.
Software support, except for some niches, is outsttanding.
The difference between Mac OS before OS X and OSX is night and day. No compare. Complete revision.
Old 06 November 2003, 18:32   #79
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by kolorabi
. AmigaOS, with the right enhancements, is far better than both.. :-)
Useless, non sequtor comment as you have zero experience with MAC OS X
Old 06 November 2003, 18:34   #80
Unknown_K

Quote:
It has tons of games, but nowhere near the PC selection.
Software support, except for some niches, is outsttanding.
The difference between Mac OS before OS X and OSX is night and day. No compare. Complete revision.
Not only is the quantitiy of games for the mac lacking but so are options for things like joysticks, 3d sound cards, 3d video cards, midi boards. If your into retro games then playing them on a mac would really suck.
AdSense AdSense