English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 October 2003, 12:43   #41
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Cool

I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned Capital Punishment yet. Surely this game has some of the best graphics ever seen in an Amiga game. One of the very few games that pushed the 256 colour AGA chipset to it's absolute maximum and it really shows.

http://hol.abime.net/?id=2921

AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 October 2003, 13:10   #42
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned Capital Punishment yet. Surely this game has some of the best graphics ever seen in an Amiga game. One of the very few games that pushed the 256 colour AGA chipset to it's absolute maximum and it really shows.
Then, what about Fightin'Spirit?
http://hol.abime.net/?id=530
Check out the graphic and the sprites...
The OCS version with "only" 64 colours is outstanding as his AGA counterpart...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fight.png
Views:	387
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	6079  
Old 23 October 2003, 17:43   #43
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned Capital Punishment yet.
Maybe because it looks partially good. The backgrounds and still GFX are cool, but the characters look like complete arse. Just look at the screenie you posted, they completely RUIN the screenshot.
Old 23 October 2003, 18:07   #44
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah, i think characters (includign enemies) need to look as though they belong in the game, rather than looking like they've been 'pasted' on. I've always been more impressed with animation that with nice looking sprites. It certainly is amazing to watch that Flashback dude (or PoP or Another/OoT World - albiet not AS nice) legging it about so smoothly.
Old 23 October 2003, 19:06   #45
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Maybe because it looks partially good. The backgrounds and still GFX are cool, but the characters look like complete arse. Just look at the screenie you posted, they completely RUIN the screenshot.
That was the very first thing I thought when I saw the screenshot (I haven't played it). They look extremely silly!!
Old 23 October 2003, 20:01   #46
JudasEZT

Gamplay in CapitalPunishment were even worst than characters.

Fightinspirit has great screenshots but when you look it in movement it sucks.. it havent enought frames for anim.

as counterpart, ShadowFighter had also characters a bit silly, but game play is cool, extremly well with good animations.. thats THE amiga fighting game. my opinion.

btw, practice level were funny with that dummy crash character =)
Old 23 October 2003, 20:18   #47
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT
Fightinspirit has great screenshots but when you look it in movement it sucks.. it havent enought frames for anim.
Animation sucks?! I vehemently disagree. It's an astounding looking game, especially on non-AGA machines, and the animation is quite fluent. The game looks and moves so well, you'd swear it was a Neo-Geo game.
Old 24 October 2003, 00:28   #48
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT

as counterpart, ShadowFighter had also characters a bit silly, but game play is cool, extremly well with good animations.. thats THE amiga fighting game. my opinion.
Oh, come on, What do you pretend for a game born in OCS version without having a dozen of floppies?
Shadow Fighter is a very good game, but graphically is poor compared to FS, sprites are painted with a palette of 8 colours... (OCS version, of course!)
And then, I remember we are talking about lookabilty, not playability...
Old 24 October 2003, 01:06   #49
JudasEZT

I must to admit that I never looked both games in OCS just on AGA.

Graphically FS is superb,.. no doubt.
Old 24 October 2003, 02:07   #50
Akira

I really think Fighting Spirit didn't have animation as smooth as that of a NeoGeo. It DID looked exactly as a NEo, on still screens (that was the idea, FS is a Fatal Fury ripoff), but something was missing in the game. maybe it was the controls.

And Shadow Fighter is great, but I don't think the crappiness of the sprites lies in the lack of colours (I've seen MAD SHIT being done with few colors), I think the artist didn't have a clue and they look like cack. Poor-man anime-wannabe gfx, mesays. The game is still superb.

Elfmania had great graphics, but the characters were too bland for a fighter. Body Blows had great characters, but the gameplay was cack.

Did anybody got it right? I think not
Old 24 October 2003, 02:58   #51
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I really think Fighting Spirit didn't have animation as smooth as that of a NeoGeo. It DID looked exactly as a NEo, on still screens (that was the idea, FS is a Fatal Fury ripoff), but something was missing in the game. maybe it was the controls.
Programmers did the miracle to made such graphics without compromise playability. Of course there's a lack of frames in the animations, but still a great playability, IMHO. A wide range of moves different for each characters, a HUGE job, indeed.

Quote:
And Shadow Fighter is great, but I don't think the crappiness of the sprites lies in the lack of colours (I've seen MAD SHIT being done with few colors), I think the artist didn't have a clue and they look like cack. Poor-man anime-wannabe gfx, mesays. The game is still superb.
I never said SF sprites looks crap, but poor compared with FS. The graphician was forced to use only 8 colours for OCS version because limited from the other resources (parallax scrolling, animated backgrounds, more animated frames). The game is very good, no doubt about this.

Quote:
Elfmania had great graphics, but the characters were too bland for a fighter. Body Blows had great characters, but the gameplay was cack.
The main problem about Elfmania is that you don't feel the blows hurting your opponent... the same problem as Body Blows...
And, yes, sprites are too cartoons-oriented for a beat-em-up. Still great graphics, but my vote remains to Fightin' Spirit.
Old 24 October 2003, 04:19   #52
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Surely this question is whether it looked the best on the Amiga, not compared to the neo geo (which was a shite overpriced piece of toss)
Old 24 October 2003, 06:36   #53
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
[B compared to the neo geo (which was a shite overpriced piece of toss) [/B]
Oh lordy!
The home console might have been overpriced (and this is still true of home cartridges!), but it was not shite, and I think it was worth every penny. It's the most succesful arcade hardware that I can think of, it's still used today! I d o agree that the price for home versions of the same arcades games was stupid (what's the bloody difference? Why such a steep price?), but the platform is brilliant and so are the games.

Ok went offtopic... First Neo games did look cacky, I'm not much of a fan of how Fatal Fury or World Heroes look, and most stuff of that era look similar.
Old 24 October 2003, 10:44   #54
manicx

I reckon, FS is the best looking beat em up on the Amiga. It plays better than anything else too. Musically, it's a bit too console-ish, but other than that it is cool.
Old 24 October 2003, 13:49   #55
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Just trying to get a reaction. But the price does make it shite-ish. The cartridges were sooooo expensive, and until they released the cd version (which introduced loading times that you could cook an egg in between) it cost billions just to play a few games!
Old 24 October 2003, 16:03   #56
cv643d

The front boxart for Disposable hero was very cool! I could have that on my wall as a poster.

Check it out -> http://hol.abime.net/gfx.php?src=dat...400/365_b1.jpg
Old 24 October 2003, 18:11   #57
Akira

Quote:
Just trying to get a reaction. But the price does make it shite-ish. The cartridges were sooooo expensive, and until they released the cd version (which introduced loading times that you could cook an egg in between) it cost billions just to play a few games!
The cd version was arse because the games had less stuff than the cartridge counterparts (less anim frames. yuck!)
You have two best options to neogeo gaming:

1) Neo geo MVS converter. To play all MVS arcade cartridges (MUCH cheaper!!) in yoru neogeo home console.

2) MVS one-slot machine. Cheapest NeoGeo machine that runs the cheaper arcade cartridges.

CV, I do have that poster. The original game came with a poster of the box art
Old 24 October 2003, 22:26   #58
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Surely this question is whether it looked the best on the Amiga, not compared to the neo geo (which was a shite overpriced piece of toss)
Well, that's what the people who like Fightin' Spirit were trying to
say, but I think those who criticised the animation were
unfairly comparing it to current games on PC and the consoles, and not
to other Amiga games (or even games that were generally released
around 1996).

@Akira
Controls? Try playing the CD32 version with a compatible controller.
Much nicer than using a joystick. Can't remember off-hand if the
floppy versions had joypad support, though.......bad omission if they
don't.
Old 02 November 2003, 16:54   #59
BobRedthorp
Huge member

I would say the following looked pretty good:

Yo! Joe! (OCS/ECS)

Stardust (OCS/ECS)

Wiz 'n' Liz (OCS/ECS)

Globdule (OCS/ECS)

Global Gladiators (OCS/ECS)