yes 1 2.22%
no 44 97.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 October 2003, 13:59   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

AmigaOne ownership Poll

How many of us own an AmigaOne?

EDIT: Removed pic as someone moved this to permanent area and pic was huge and useless to topic.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 20 October 2003 at 15:56.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 October 2003, 15:30   #2
woody57

Smile And the point is ?

.......this forum seems mainly retro/ emu the Amiga one has been mentioned in topic before but since there are no special apps or progs for it whats the point ?
[ or is this typical fred stating the obvious ]
Old 20 October 2003, 00:36   #3
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
hmmm, well...

I've just spend the last three hours using imagefx and tvpaint on my A1-XE through UAE on debian...

So I 'spose that's retro/emu

There's plenty of apps for it just no OS yet
Old 20 October 2003, 02:36   #4
Akira

Sev seems to be the only one with this thing. It's sad that cool guys like him have bought and supported the hardware and these Amiga Inc. fuckheads have not released an OS for him and the other supporters.

This is how they spit their own meal.
Old 20 October 2003, 10:15   #5
manicx

Don't be in a hurry Akira. OS4.0 will be released and so far it looks very promising. It's in the final levels of testing and it now runs pretty stable but there are a few problems with a few old applications. I'd rather have a stable OS than a M$-like OS with hotfixes and crap...
Old 20 October 2003, 10:22   #6
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
....and these Amiga Inc. fuckheads have not released an OS for him and the other supporters.
Amiga Inc. btw. got nothing to do with the release of OS4 Hyperion is doing it and as far as I can see, they do a great job according to the screenshots/movies/etc. !!!
Old 20 October 2003, 10:51   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So if Hyperion and Eyetech are doing all this, whats the use of Amiga(ST)Inc??
Old 20 October 2003, 11:00   #8
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
So if Hyperion and Eyetech are doing all this, whats the use of Amiga(ST)Inc??
Nothing But sadly they hold all the license to the Hard and Software
Old 20 October 2003, 11:10   #9
Amigaboy

1-
Why is this thread in Off Topic? It's Amiga related and hasn't strayed in topic, so I think it should be moved.

2-
As Retroman said, they hold the licence to everything. They own the name, and with that, they hold power.
While that may be true, it doesn't change the fact that they are a couple of million $ in debt and working out of a living room (or, that's what I've heard).
If you believe that Amiga Inc. is going to be the saviour of the Amiga name, then prepare to wait a while. It's the 3rd party companies that are doing all the work.

Support Hyperion. Don't support Amiga Inc.

Old 20 October 2003, 11:15   #10
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
1-
Why is this thread in Off Topic? It's Amiga related and hasn't strayed in topic, so I think it should be moved.
Agreed Moved
Quote:
Support Hyperion. Don't support Amiga Inc.
Agreed again
Old 20 October 2003, 14:18   #11
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Sev seems to be the only one with this thing. It's sad that cool guys like him have bought and supported the hardware and these Amiga Inc. fuckheads have not released an OS for him and the other supporters.
Woohoo I'm COOL

OS4 is nearly done, about the only thing delaying it now is the 'snap' graphics dirvers, they're still waiting for the company to port them...

And my mum would really moan at me for months if I 'borrowed' the Voodoo 3000 she's got in her PC

But it not too much of a problem, I've waited 10 years for new hardware, I can wait another few of months for the OS...

Try and ignore all the trolling, FUD, and flames belting around the net ATM, a certain other company and/or it's followers are getting a bit nervous, and think they're being backed into a corner, and that's when avthing gets vicious... especially after their comments like 'the A1 will never exists' & 'OS4 will never run on an A1', I think recent shows have got them running scared

I'll post a funny comment on the situation from one of the forums... Just got to find it...
Old 20 October 2003, 14:26   #12
woody57

Wink When nothing seems to be happening ...

.....I regulary check Eyetechs site for updates but they seem now to have decided to cease support { amiga world news / amiga one latest ? } the problem is .....without regular updates on their own site how can we know if its rumour or truth ?.......I accept the Amiga one through emu can run retro progs but for the cost of that board { without ram , soundcard etc } you could have bought a new duron based system fully loaded and been running emu on that .......is this just another Amiga Holy Grail ? where we seem to be waiting for developer machines to start a mini rebirth of choice ? I want to believe ...honest I do ........but like many before me I need to upgrade but......I,ve invested in Amiga expansion,s and new OS,s before only to find { like A600 } it was "cute " but too late and a step backwards in terms conectivity .
You know I,m no super tech just an end user and the fact my wifes 300 PC comunicates better than the hunderds I,ve spent on " miggies " over the years is what raises the question......At what point do you stop buying adapted hardware to run old software ....espeacialy when emu is cheaper ?
It seems like restoration of classic miggies is my only salvation
Old 20 October 2003, 14:37   #13
Severin

Re: When nothing seems to be happening ...

Quote:
Originally posted by woodshed57
.....I regulary check Eyetechs site for updates but they seem now to have decided to cease support { amiga world news / amiga one latest ? } the problem is .....without regular updates on their own site how can we know if its rumour or truth ?
Forget about Eyetech's site, it's handled externaly and iirc there are problems with the company doing it. for the latest gumpf go to AmigaWolrd

oops, I see you already have...

Eyetech haven't ceased support, they're just stopping the retail side, Sven Hervey (writes the amiga page in micromart) is setting up a business to sell A1's and all the other bits in the UK.
Old 20 October 2003, 15:59   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Re: Re: When nothing seems to be happening ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
Eyetech haven't ceased support, they're just stopping the retail side, Sven Hervey (writes the amiga page in micromart) is setting up a business to sell A1's and all the other bits in the UK.
What of the rest of the world?
Old 20 October 2003, 19:13   #15
Frootloop

I hate to say it, but my Windows XP machine does everything I need, has all the best programs and games. I can't any reason to buy an A1 other than pure nostalgia - and I don't have the money for two systems anyway. I'm not a big Microsoft fan but my WinXP machine is pretty stable (more so than OS3.0) and I'm an above-average computer user so I have no problems with security issues. If I had the extra cash I'd probably buy one, but I'd also like a bigscreen TV too.

Where are games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, for the A1? While it might be a nice OS, it's the games that I'd really miss. Unfortunately any current Wintel machine you buy these days is much more powerful than the A1, and so much cheaper too.

I'll wait and see how things change in a few years time...

Oh yeah. I think the PegasOS butterfly logo looks better than the Amiga boing ball.
Old 20 October 2003, 19:52   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Games? AmigaOne?
It's obvious the AmigaOne is geared for fanatics, developers and professionals.
A rig owned mostly by fanatics won't get games companies to publish SHIT. Not even a Bubble Bobble type game.
A few dedicated conversions and companies with a handful of games will be the case. Buying an AmigaOne for gaming is not mentally or economically viable.
Old 20 October 2003, 23:08   #17
Interceptor

what's an "assasain" then?
Old 21 October 2003, 00:47   #18
Severin

Re: Re: Re: When nothing seems to be happening ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
What of the rest of the world?
Nothing has changed there, Eyetech still supply the dealers as before, they're just not supplying to the public anymore...

Software Hut in the U.S....

@Frootloop

Games? I agree, if I wanted games I'd buy a cheap games machine, maybe a second hand Mac or similar...

As for your list, Give people a chance!, neither the hardware or the OS has been publicly released yet... Wait until 6 months after the A1-Lite hits the streets...

I bought my A1 as a net / gfx / dtp box... not for games. As for internet incompatibilities, that's due to M$, if they stuck to the official standards, instead of adding bloat to make you use their product then all Amiga browsers would be as compatible as the PC ones...
Old 21 October 2003, 01:28   #19
Puzzle

Mozilla

What about Mozilla for the A1?

I think it's the best browser out there.
Old 21 October 2003, 15:16   #20
Severin

Re: Mozilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
What about Mozilla for the A1?

I think it's the best browser out there.
Just boot into linux instead of OS4 until Amozilla is done

Personally, I've dumped Mozilla, thought it was bloated and slow, very slow.... I'm using Opera atm, until either OS4 is out or someone ports IBrowse to Linux
AdSense AdSense