English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 October 2003, 15:07   #1
LaundroMat

TV Out

Right then, I've been re-playing these old arcade favorites of mine, and now it's time to start thinking of how to play these games on my television.

The goal's be to run MAME on my (largely unused) desktop PC at home, and send out the video signal to my TV. Is there a way to do this without having to buy a new gfx card (my current one has no TV-Out)?

Also, do wireless arcade joysticks even exist?

Thanks in advance.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 October 2003, 22:57   #2
Akira

It will be cheaper for you to buy a videocard with TV out than to buy a downscan converter. I think you could also make such a device yourslerf but I bet it's still more expensive than having a cheap new card with TV out.

Look at www.arcadeathome.com to see if they have some VGA to TV interface schematics.
Old 11 October 2003, 03:24   #3
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
M8 Im very into this Mame & TV lark! I started out with a matrox G400max with its dual vga sockets. It can be bios flashed in such a way that it will always output to shvs/composite as the main display (even in dos! dont need drivers) perfect for a mame/emulator box etc....

Ive had these cards in the past:

G400max
G450
G200 Marvel (has built in mpeg hardware capture & breakout box)

these matrox cards are great

But recently i wanted some more power so i bought a cheap Geforce 4 M440 with tv-out. It works better than i thought it would as the thing drives two displays at once, tv & monitor!
it works great no faffing around just plug the required leads in and off you go!
Old 11 October 2003, 11:48   #4
Bloodwych

Recently, I built myself a retro dedicated SFF PC for the same price as an x-box using this little beauty with tv-out
Old 13 October 2003, 23:04   #5
Drake1009

You can get dedicated TV-out cards but you'd be able to buy yourself a new GFX card with the same amount of dosh.

Unless you're really attached to your current card you might as well go buy a new one.
Old 14 October 2003, 00:40   #6
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroBlaster
it works great no faffing around just plug the required leads in and off you go!
I have a GeForce 3 Titanium 200 which has TV Out capability but I've never bothered to use it. Though playing Giga Wing through M.AM.E on a TV does sound pretty cool. What are the required leads? Does the TV have to be a SCART TV?
Old 14 October 2003, 01:44   #7
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Most GFX cards output two signals -S-VHS (round connector with a few pins), and composite (an RCA, which is round and one big centre pin)

The S-VHS is higher quality - but well i dont have an s-vhs ports/adapters, so the composite does the job for me with a composite (leftaudio/rightaudio/video RCAS (red white, yellow)) to SCART convertor (actually came with my PS2.

A lot of TVS/VCRS have the composites on the front for things like consoles and cameras.

so basically anything with a RCA video on it (very common will work, NTSC tv or PAL or whatever, you can change the settings in your display properties > settings > device)

good luck
Old 14 October 2003, 03:07   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I know you say you spent the same as an xbox but rgb quality tv signals are far nicer than svhs out which gfx cards preduce. I think the xbox is a superb piece of kit, fair do's it MS but people spend too much time avoiding MS when the Xbox is actually a good purchase.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:14   #9
Echo

For those with NVidia based cards, TV Tool is an essential application for tweaking the TV-out functionality.

People using the standard detonator tab to enable TV output wouldn't even be aware the chips are capable of overscan, image shift and far more software controls via TV Tool!

All games and emulators are compatible with this display (and look fantastic on my Sony 29" pureflat ), providing they are configured to run in the same resolution as the chosen one with TV Tool.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:22   #10
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

I want to get a TV Out -> SCART cable but it's difficult to find them. I've even looked on Maplin but haven't spotted one. What sort of price are they?

I did find this on eBay but the connectors don't look right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4&category=162

Last edited by Steve; 14 October 2003 at 11:28.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:43   #11
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Ahh, that IS a good lead:

It has a composite for the video (TVout
and a 3.5mm stereo minijack into a SCART!

So that means audio AND video into a scart..

pretty handy lead actually..

(theres probably cheaper alternatives around - check your local electrical store)
Old 14 October 2003, 11:55   #12
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I want to get a TV Out -> SCART cable but it's difficult to find them. I've even looked on Maplin but haven't spotted one. What sort of price are they?

I did find this on eBay but the connectors don't look right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4&category=162
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...396&Products=1 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...102&Products=1

I'm assuming the IN version is what you need, but double check this over the phone because I've got the wrong type in the past.
Old 14 October 2003, 13:12   #13
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

My TV Out port has a different connector to the ones pictured on those links you provided. It is a female port and has four little pin holes. I can't see a similar connector on that webpage.
Old 14 October 2003, 13:23   #14
Echo

Ahh, gotcha. That'll be SVHS out.

I had a little dongle when I bought my card (Geforce 3 Ti200, OEM) which plugs in to the SVHS socket and provides a female phono (RGB yellow) on the other end.

Did you not get one of these with the card?

SVHS cables are not cheap!

Edit: How about this one? Price isn't as bad as I thought
Old 14 October 2003, 14:19   #15
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Smile

Ahh, nice!

That looks like the same connector as the one on my graphics card. So where do the two audio cables plug in? Are they supposed to attach to the TV because my TV doesn't have any connectors for those two? If there is no sockets for them on the TV does this mean I won't get any sound, only a visual output?

My TV is quite old (about 15 years old) so doesn't have any of the latest sockets. Although I'm sure it's got a SCART socket because it looks like a SCART socket and has 2 vertical lines of ten holes which seems to be the same number of pins as the SCART lead in the picture. As you can guess I've never tested the SCART socket before.

Unfortunately I didn't recieve a dongle with my GeForece 3 Titanium 200. Mine is the Creative Labs 3D Blaster model.

I might buy one of these cables today if I'm sure it will work ok.
Old 14 October 2003, 14:21   #16
Echo

If you have the PC going into Hifi speakers already you can ignore the audio cables really. It'll sound far better than TV speakers anyway

If the TV is in a different room, then you'll need a personal stereo type jack converter into L+R phono, which plugs into the PC soundcard line-out.
Old 14 October 2003, 14:30   #17
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
If you have the PC going into Hifi speakers already you can ignore the audio cables really. It'll sound far better than TV speakers anyway
Well my PC isn't attached to a Hi-Fi but I guess I can still get the sound output through my PC speakers. I only really need the cable for the visual output to the TV. I don't need to output the sound because as you say the quality is naff on the mono TV speaker.
Quote:
If the TV is in a different room, then you'll need a personal stereo type jack converter into L+R phono, which plugs into the PC soundcard line-out.
The TV is in the same room so that isn't a problem. So shall I go buy this cable now?
Old 14 October 2003, 15:11   #18
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The TV is in the same room so that isn't a problem. So shall I go buy this cable now?
There is one thing you'd better find out. If SVHS/S-Video doesn't automatically convert to vanilla RGB when going through the SCART, your telly isn't going to like the input, being the age it is.

I'm pretty sure this automatically converts, because my dongle has no lumps (circuitry) along the 10cm cable. Best check first though.
Old 14 October 2003, 15:24   #19
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I'm pretty sure this automatically converts, because my dongle has no lumps (circuitry) along the 10cm cable. Best check first though.
Hmmm. I'm not sure where to begin to find this out. I think I'll just buy the damn thing and then find out if it works or not. Actually I'll ask the guy at my local electrical shop as he knows his stuff.
Old 14 October 2003, 16:19   #20
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You need a tv that allows svhs input via scart, the scart lead doesn't convert it to rgb, it's the tv that needs to understand the signal. Most newer tv's will handle svhs no problem but usually only on one of the scart sockets.

Now if only gfx cards had scart outputs!
AdSense AdSense